Faster Projectiles

and the faster they are the more interesting pierce gets but also a higher risk vs reflectors as a drawback :)
cya Deathtiny
level fast, die young and leave a nice looking corpse!
Tinyshideouts: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3260135
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Lo4f wrote:
Talk about not being intuitive. Spark, also a projectile that has a set amount of time which it can last for, mentions it's duration- so it makes sense that faster projectiles would make it travel farther before it expired.
Which it will. There's no way for it to not have this effect on projectiles which work this way - if you have a set amount of time, and speed something up, that will increase the distance it covers in that time. That's pretty much the definition of speeding something up.

With spark it's simple to imagine the result of supporting with faster projectiles, that's why I brought it up. You make it clear that the sparks vanish after X seconds in the tooltip. You say that Freezing Pulse lasts for a set amount of time, but no where in the tooltip is this stated or implied. That's what I was referring to as "not intuitive" because I assumed if there was a time factor it would be stated in the tooltip even if it was not modifiable.

I was under the impression Freezing Pulse lasted for a set distance (or AoE radius in PoE terminology), and faster projectiles would only make it travel faster across that distance- not very impressive so I never tried this set up. Had there been some mention of this "locked animation time" which determines when Freezing Pulse vanishes, the result from supporting with faster projectiles would be clear.
I will see what I can do about making it more clear the in skill description
Feedback after this point is for 0.9.7
Balance & Design
Anyone know what quality adds to this gem?
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
zriL wrote:
I think "faster projectile" is not supposed to speed up rain of arrow since it's not a projectile.
Technically it sin't, but because it makes so much logical sense that the 'arrows' fired would come down faster with increased arrow/projectile speed, we made a specific exception for this gem.

Is it possible to do the same thing for firestorm? its also a rain of projectiles of sorts :)
Last edited by Asmosis on Apr 21, 2012, 8:12:15 PM
"
Asmosis wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
zriL wrote:
I think "faster projectile" is not supposed to speed up rain of arrow since it's not a projectile.
Technically it sin't, but because it makes so much logical sense that the 'arrows' fired would come down faster with increased arrow/projectile speed, we made a specific exception for this gem.

Is it possible to do the same thing for firestorm? its also a rain of projectiles of sorts :)
No it's not possible to do the same thing because firestorm doesn't have a delay to reduce.
Increased projectile speed on Rain of Arrows doesn't actually affect the speed at which the arrows come down when they do, it reduces the delay between you shooting them up and them starting to come down. Firestorm has no such delay.

Speeding up the actual falling fireballs is different, aan much trickier - something we might be able to look into at some point, but not while we have more important things to work on. Also the benefit you could get from it would be too small to actually be noticeable.
Unavailable

I don't have a level 1 to link, but level 1 stats are:
30% increased projectile speed
10% increased projectile damage

Quality adds attack/cast speed, 3% quality per 1% increase.
TehHammer is not a crime!
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:

Increased projectile speed on Rain of Arrows doesn't actually affect the speed at which the arrows come down when they do, it reduces the delay between you shooting them up and them starting to come down. Firestorm has no such delay.

I finally tried this combination and one thing occurred to me. When you shoot this pack of arrows, speeding them up should increase the time before they come down (and they would come down faster, too). Reducing it is convenient but illogical.
I don't really mind it the way it is, it still kinda does make sense in a sort of way when not thinking about it.
✠ ✠
"
wiggin wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:

I finally tried this combination and one thing occurred to me. When you shoot this pack of arrows, speeding them up should increase the time before they come down (and they would come down faster, too). Reducing it is convenient but illogical.
I don't really mind it the way it is, it still kinda does make sense in a sort of way when not thinking about it.

You are thinking correctly. Faster Projectiles would technically increase the force applied to the created arrows. This force would mean that the arrows would fly up higher into the air, because the only resisting forces upon them would be drag (negligible) and gravity. As gravity simply reduced the acceleration upon the projectiles over time, projectiles that move faster into it would take longer before they begin their descent, meaning that actually Faster Projectiles should work inversely upon Rain of Arrows, and make the arrow swarm come down later. Physics. ;)

On the other hand, you can think of it as some kind of magical relatively bubble placed upon the projectiles which would mean things like the arrow arc would be unchanged, and that the projectiles are simply moving through space at a different time relative to everything around it, but in its own time affected by forces at a rate proportional to its time increase... which is the justification I will vouch for for the devs' sake on this one. D&D-style magic BS.
Alteration Orb Union Local #7
I'll smash your nose with 20 Alterations before I'll sell them for 1 lousy Chaos. 16:1. No questions.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info