[2.0] Lvl 93 Tempest [HC] Templar - Shock Nova/Call of the Brotherhood

"
SleepThieff wrote:
@ChessChamp:
"
That being said, I'm curious whether you think Doryani's is worth it, because I think it'd be a damage loss. I'm not sure about that, but I feel as though the loss of the added lightning damage from my current rare weapon results in a fairly large loss for my Shock Nova. I don't want to spend 2-3ex on a Doryani's only to watch its tooltip DPS plummet.

Let's think about this. How can we be sure if it's a damage gain or loss?

Here's an example:

Here is a wand with pretty impressive stats.

Let's add it up:
60% Spell Damage = Damage being applied to Nova, but not to herald
14% Spell Damage from Implicit = Damage being applied to Nova, but not Herald
16% Lightning Damage = Damage being applied to both Nova an Herald
18% Cast Speed

In total, this equals a 90% (60 + 16 + 14) increase in damage on Nova, BUT only a 16% increase for our Herald.

Let's look at Doryani's:

Let's add it up, just like the previous:
99% Elemental Damage = 99% Damage being applied to both Nova and Herald (as well as Herald of Ice!)
10% Elemental Damage Implicit = 99% Damage being applied to both Nova and Herald (as well as Herald of Ice!)
9% Cast Speed

In total, this results in a 109% increase to Nova, as well as ALL OTHER DAMAGE (both heralds).

What does this mean?

The Doryani's offers higher raw overall damage output, but it does not have the +2 roll. Therefore, when using a 3 link Nova, the +2 wand/sceptre will grant significantly more damage to your Nova than a Doryani's will.

But, if you are able to link the Nova to a 5/6L, then there is no need for a +2 roll on the weapon, and the Doryani's becomes more powerful since it offers greater raw damage.

Also don't forget that Doryani's offers elemental leech, which is something that the build is lacking. Having a way to leech is very powerful.

I appreciate the detailed response, but I think I may have misrepresented my problem with calculating the damage benefit of Doryani's over a random rare: I have "Adds 8-106 Lightning damage to spells" on my mace, which seems like it'd be crazy hard to compensate for on Doryani's. It's just a shitload of Shock Nova DPS. Would the benefit for the Heralds with Doryani's really outweigh the raw DPS on Shock Nova? I'm fairly sure it'd be a loss for Shock Nova.
Here's my weapon:
Last edited by chesschamp on Sep 23, 2015, 12:18:29 AM
"
chesschamp wrote:
"
SleepThieff wrote:
@ChessChamp:
"
That being said, I'm curious whether you think Doryani's is worth it, because I think it'd be a damage loss. I'm not sure about that, but I feel as though the loss of the added lightning damage from my current rare weapon results in a fairly large loss for my Shock Nova. I don't want to spend 2-3ex on a Doryani's only to watch its tooltip DPS plummet.

Let's think about this. How can we be sure if it's a damage gain or loss?

Here's an example:

Here is a wand with pretty impressive stats.

Let's add it up:
60% Spell Damage = Damage being applied to Nova, but not to herald
14% Spell Damage from Implicit = Damage being applied to Nova, but not Herald
16% Lightning Damage = Damage being applied to both Nova an Herald
18% Cast Speed

In total, this equals a 90% (60 + 16 + 14) increase in damage on Nova, BUT only a 16% increase for our Herald.

Let's look at Doryani's:

Let's add it up, just like the previous:
99% Elemental Damage = 99% Damage being applied to both Nova and Herald (as well as Herald of Ice!)
10% Elemental Damage Implicit = 99% Damage being applied to both Nova and Herald (as well as Herald of Ice!)
9% Cast Speed

In total, this results in a 109% increase to Nova, as well as ALL OTHER DAMAGE (both heralds).

What does this mean?

The Doryani's offers higher raw overall damage output, but it does not have the +2 roll. Therefore, when using a 3 link Nova, the +2 wand/sceptre will grant significantly more damage to your Nova than a Doryani's will.

But, if you are able to link the Nova to a 5/6L, then there is no need for a +2 roll on the weapon, and the Doryani's becomes more powerful since it offers greater raw damage.

Also don't forget that Doryani's offers elemental leech, which is something that the build is lacking. Having a way to leech is very powerful.

I appreciate the detailed response, but I think I may have misrepresented my problem with calculating the damage benefit of Doryani's over a random rare: I have "Adds 8-106 Lightning damage to spells" on my mace, which seems like it'd be crazy hard to compensate for on Doryani's. It's just a shitload of Shock Nova DPS. Would the benefit for the Heralds with Doryani's really outweigh the raw DPS on Shock Nova? I'm fairly sure it'd be a loss for Shock Nova.
Here's my weapon:

To be honest I never tried a weapon with flat added lightning damage on it so I don't quite know the answer. Cold damage is only worth half of its value to Nova because of CotB, so that weapon is equal to:

50 spell damage
20 elemental implicit
10% cold damage
57 lightning damage (the average of 8-106)
10% cast speed

This adds to 50 + 20 + 10 = 80% dmg to your nova vs 109% on the doryani's (about 30% difference). Doryani's is stronger at this point.

The only caveat here is the 8-106 roll, which I'm not sure how to calculate into dps. Flat damage is really powerful though with extreme levels of additional cast speed.

If I had to guess, I would say the two are probably pretty similar in terms of Nova dps. The large benefit you would see from Doryani's is the increased heralds damage and the elemental leech.

If the Doryani's does turn out to be a loss of dps to your Nova, it is probably very minimal. I would be extremely surprised if the flat damage roll turned out to be significantly more powerful than 30% more damage. Again, I'm not certain because those flat spell damage mods are new and I don't have much experience with them. It is the end of the league though and it's probably worth it to obtain a Doryani's if possible in order to test this. You could always test it after the league ends as well of course.
Hey bro, ty for the guide and congrats on the succes! working really solid for me... Still not mapping, lvl 64, need gear improvement... What do you think about
? I know all defensive stats from shield are lost, but could it be viable in late game?
"
lorkaizer wrote:
Hey bro, ty for the guide and congrats on the succes! working really solid for me... Still not mapping, lvl 64, need gear improvement... What do you think about
? I know all defensive stats from shield are lost, but could it be viable in late game?

Hi lorkaizer.

I don't believe the staff is that good for a Call of the Brotherhood build since half of the damage is converted to cold. The staff doesn't truly offer anything that unique/powerful except for the large amount of int and the lightning pen. The strongest part about the staff is the 20% lightning penetration, which is amazing and is the defining factor of the staff. But since half of your damage is being converted to cold it makes it worth only half of that value. While 10% penetration is still immensely powerful, I don't feel like the rest of the staff is strong enough to warrant a use.

Now if you were using a pure lightning damage build, then yeah, 20% lightning pen is insane.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info