[2.0] Lvl 93 Tempest [HC] Templar - Shock Nova/Call of the Brotherhood

roach:
"
Just have a few questions. I've got a carcass jack that I'm trying to 5L, but wouldn't it be more beneficial for Innervate to be linked with the Shock Nova?

Is Innervate's Onslaught bonus global, or local to Herald of Thunder?
I couldn't find any information about this. Thanks in advance :)

Innervate's Onslaught bonus is a self buff, so yes it affects all aspects of the build, including your totem/vaal skill/lightning herald/shock nova/etc.

For your first question, I'm not sure I quite understand. Are you asking if Innervate is better for a 5 link shock nova than say, for example, Hypothermia?
"
SleepThieff wrote:
roach:
"
Just have a few questions. I've got a carcass jack that I'm trying to 5L, but wouldn't it be more beneficial for Innervate to be linked with the Shock Nova?

Is Innervate's Onslaught bonus global, or local to Herald of Thunder?
I couldn't find any information about this. Thanks in advance :)

Innervate's Onslaught bonus is a self buff, so yes it affects all aspects of the build, including your totem/vaal skill/lightning herald/shock nova/etc.

For your first question, I'm not sure I quite understand. Are you asking if Innervate is better for a 5 link shock nova than say, for example, Hypothermia?

I was actually wondering if Hypothermia would be better for your 5th link in a Herald.

On the other hand - what was your tooltip dps? I'm only getting about 3k tooltip, and clear speed is kinda slow.
roach:
"
I was actually wondering if Hypothermia would be better for your 5th link in a Herald.

On the other hand - what was your tooltip dps? I'm only getting about 3k tooltip, and clear speed is kinda slow.

Hypothermia doesn't really make sense to me on herald. Do you just want it to do more dmg?

With 3 frenzy charges and innervate up tooltip is 9.5k for the nova and 3.5k for the totem. Most packs die instantly.

You can post your gear here if you'd like and I'll look at it.
I looked at your gear on your profile.

I noticed you have an immortal call/cast when dmg taken setup but no way to get endurance charges. If you have no way to get endurance charges that immortal call basically lasts for no time.

Also I noticed you are using an Elreon ring/ammy. Is your mana struggle really that bad? I could see if you had a 5/6 link nova then the mana cost would be quite demanding; but you currently only have a 3 link nova. It shouldn't really cost you that much mana. Rallying Cry is quite good for mana regen. Ammy slot is really important for dmg output (spell dmg/cast speed/lightning dmg rolls) so it's gonna be hard to get a good one if you are relying on Elreon pieces.

Also I noticed you enchanted your weapon with cold dmg. Cast speed is definitely better than cold dmg. Cold dmg doesn't scale well with this build. You only want lightning dmg.
"
SleepThieff wrote:
I looked at your gear on your profile.

I noticed you have an immortal call/cast when dmg taken setup but no way to get endurance charges. If you have no way to get endurance charges that immortal call basically lasts for no time.

Also I noticed you are using an Elreon ring/ammy. Is your mana struggle really that bad? I could see if you had a 5/6 link nova then the mana cost would be quite demanding; but you currently only have a 3 link nova. It shouldn't really cost you that much mana. Rallying Cry is quite good for mana regen. Ammy slot is really important for dmg output (spell dmg/cast speed/lightning dmg rolls) so it's gonna be hard to get a good one if you are relying on Elreon pieces.

Also I noticed you enchanted your weapon with cold dmg. Cast speed is definitely better than cold dmg. Cold dmg doesn't scale well with this build. You only want lightning dmg.

I'm going to replace IC/CWDT soon, but it's saved me a few times.
I'm running 2x Herald, and AA, which leaves me with 112 mana, which is like 5 casts of shock nova before it runs dry. I guess I could get used to potting more often, and I could stop running Clarity as a means to regen mana. I'll change out the amulet and see if it changes anything. I'll also remove the cold dmg mod and reroll as a cast speed mod.

Which one do you advise me to use? They're 2nd and 3rd highest Lightning dmg sceptres in tempest atm, the highest being 91% incr. light spell dmg
Last edited by waslo on Sep 13, 2015, 11:42:33 AM
Roach:
"
Which one do you advise me to use? They're 2nd and 3rd highest Lightning dmg sceptres in tempest atm, the highest being 91% incr. light spell dmg

Grim Cry sceptre with a cast speed mod is the better of the two.

Also, this is being nitpicky, but "91% incr. light spell dmg" as you put it is not 100% correct. Spell dmg and lightning dmg are two different things.

Herald of Thunder deals lightning dmg, but it is not a spell. Therefore, spell dmg does not affect Heralds. BUT, Herald of Thunder deals lightning dmg, so Lightning Dmg does affect it.

Hi, Horatio!
I've been a fan/following for probably about two weeks now. I've deviated a bit from your build (links, passives, etc.) but still follow the core principle. That being said, I'm curious whether you think Doryani's is worth it, because I think it'd be a damage loss. I'm not sure about that, but I feel as though the loss of the added lightning damage from my current rare weapon results in a fairly large loss for my Shock Nova. I don't want to spend 2-3ex on a Doryani's only to watch its tooltip DPS plummet.
So, I'll boil it down to two questions:
1. Do you feel a decently rolled Doryani would be a DPS gain or loss for Shock Nova?
2. Do you feel that even if it were less DPS it'd be worth it because of the benefit to the Herald damage?
Thanks in advance for your time.

P.S.
Sorry about your RIP.
Last edited by chesschamp on Sep 21, 2015, 5:36:40 AM
Sorry my ignorance but Herald of Thunder is a self-cast effect ....so how could it works with curse on hit ?
Last edited by Exotrax on Sep 21, 2015, 12:11:02 PM
"
Exotrax wrote:
Sorry my ignorance but Herald of Thunder is a self-cast effect ....so how could it works with curse on hit ?

Herald of Thunder has two components. One of them adds lightning damage to your attacks/spells, and the second does damage to nearby enemies after killing an enemy that was shocked. The second component is the one that is affected by Curse on Hit.
@ChessChamp:
"
That being said, I'm curious whether you think Doryani's is worth it, because I think it'd be a damage loss. I'm not sure about that, but I feel as though the loss of the added lightning damage from my current rare weapon results in a fairly large loss for my Shock Nova. I don't want to spend 2-3ex on a Doryani's only to watch its tooltip DPS plummet.

Let's think about this. How can we be sure if it's a damage gain or loss?

Here's an example:

Here is a wand with pretty impressive stats.

Let's add it up:
60% Spell Damage = Damage being applied to Nova, but not to herald
14% Spell Damage from Implicit = Damage being applied to Nova, but not Herald
16% Lightning Damage = Damage being applied to both Nova an Herald
18% Cast Speed

In total, this equals a 90% (60 + 16 + 14) increase in damage on Nova, BUT only a 16% increase for our Herald.

Let's look at Doryani's:

Let's add it up, just like the previous:
99% Elemental Damage = 99% Damage being applied to both Nova and Herald (as well as Herald of Ice!)
10% Elemental Damage Implicit = 99% Damage being applied to both Nova and Herald (as well as Herald of Ice!)
9% Cast Speed

In total, this results in a 109% increase to Nova, as well as ALL OTHER DAMAGE (both heralds).

What does this mean?

The Doryani's offers higher raw overall damage output, but it does not have the +2 roll. Therefore, when using a 3 link Nova, the +2 wand/sceptre will grant significantly more damage to your Nova than a Doryani's will.

But, if you are able to link the Nova to a 5/6L, then there is no need for a +2 roll on the weapon, and the Doryani's becomes more powerful since it offers greater raw damage.

Also don't forget that Doryani's offers elemental leech, which is something that the build is lacking. Having a way to leech is very powerful.
Last edited by SleepThieff on Sep 22, 2015, 10:13:55 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info