Cold to Fire

Sorry again but I think ill be making a build based around this gem and was wondering if this math was correct or close? If this would be a good idea or to just use infernal blow.

100% Physical skill (say cyclone possibly :))

Hatred
100% + 25% cold added

Added Fire
100% + 40% fire added

Gloves
75% Physical
25% Cold

100 Damage base
75 Physical + 18.75 Cold(Hatred) + 30 fire(AFD) + 25 Cold(Gloves)

Cold to fire
75% Physical
6.25% Cold
18.75% Fire

100 Damage base
75 Physical + (4.7 Cold(Hatred) + 14.06 fire) + 30 fire(AFD) + (6.25 Cold(Gloves) + 18.75 fire)

75 Physical + 11 Cold + 63 fire (Adding together after cold to fire)

Glacial Hammer
50% Physical
50% Cold

Gloves
25% Physical
75% Cold

Hatred + Added fire
100 Damage base
25 Physical + 6.25 Cold(Hatred) + 10 fire(AFD) + 75 Cold(Skill + Gloves)

cold to fire
100 Damage base
25 Physical + (1.9 Cold(Hatred) + 4.4 Fire) + 10 fire + (22.5 Cold(Skill + Gloves) + 52.5 Fire)

25 Physical + 24.4 Cold + 66.9 Fire (After cold to fire)

Math may be a tad off bc i rounded a bit in some places but is this how it will work for this?
Last edited by GarrettLS88 on Mar 10, 2013, 8:38:56 PM
you messed up at the step before cold to fire for the first skill.
75 phys, 25 cold (hatred), 40 fire, 25 cold
the added works on the base at same time convert does but convert subtracts from original while added does not. you did added after the converting for some reason.

because i don't know what your cold to fire amount is as your numbers confused me, i cannot do the rest. are you trying to use a 70% cold to fire?
Last edited by soul4hdwn on Mar 10, 2013, 9:22:20 PM
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
you messed up at the step before cold to fire for the first skill.
75 phys, 25 cold (hatred), 40 fire, 25 cold
the added works on the base at same time convert does but convert subtracts from original while added does not. you did added after the converting for some reason.

because i don't know what your cold to fire amount is as your numbers confused me, i cannot do the rest. are you trying to use a 70% cold to fire?

yeah i think it was 70% i heard it can get 75% at max level but messed up.

I did not know that added happens along with convert. thank you.
Last edited by GarrettLS88 on Mar 10, 2013, 9:38:15 PM
How it is dealt with Righteous fire and Pain attunment?

Lets say that i deal 100 Cold Damage. It would deal then 34% Cold and 66% Fire.

So how is the next step calculated:

After all increase, like.

34 Cold + 66 Fire => (34+66)*RF*PA

or

100 Cold * RF * PA = x

=> (34%*x + 66%*x)*RF*PA ?
IGN: PuryFIre
Everything is calculated separately, for one.

The general order of application is:
-Flat
-Damage Based On
-Conversion
-Increased/Reduced (stack additively)
-More/Less (multiplicatively)

RF and PA are both More Spell Damage, so they're multiplicative modifiers.

With 100 Base Cold damage, no Flat/Increased/Reduced/Less Damage bonuses and 66% Conversion, you will deal...
34 * RF * PA = X Cold Damage
66 * RF * PA = Y Fire Damage
Last edited by Vipermagi on Mar 19, 2013, 2:37:11 PM
When theorycrafting about builds lately, I've noticed this support gem but it doesn't seem that useful for a single reason: You cannot get to 100% Cold -> Fire (or close) Conversion

First off, the conversion itself cannot provide any significant damage increase because fire damage nodes aren't any stronger than cold damage nodes or general spell damage nodes - at most you could invest a few more points/item mods to get a maginal increase by going for both cold and fire damage increases.

The main part about the conversion seems to be the possibility of sacrificing freeze duration for burning damage. So how would you usually utilize that? You go for high crits on a spell that already does high damage (usually at a low frequency) and put Elemental Proliferation onto it so the Ignite gets spread. However (assuming numbers in the wiki are right), a level 20 Cold To Fire support gem only converts 72% of damage done so you're still doing 28% of the damage as cold damage. With an optimized build, 28% of total damage will be enough to freeze enemies on crit (which you need to put decent ignites), causing them to shatter and not spread their Ignite through EP when dead.

Would it be asked too much if the gem allowed you to go up to 90%+ conversion at max rank? Maybe to 100% with 20% quality by changing its quality bonus?
The gem doesn't seem to get used very much (if at all) in its current state and could open up a few pretty cool builds like that.
Should start at 50% conversion and add a consistent 2% per level, to 92% at level 22 (+2 to cold/fire skills affix on gear).
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Increased Elemental damage nodes. Is the cold damage increased before the conversion takes place effectively making those nodes give you double the damage?
ign = zapdos
Damage calculation in a fairly large nutshell:

Order of operations:
-Damage Based On
-Conversion
-Increased+Reduced damage
-Multiplicative (More, Less, Damage Effectiveness)

Converted damage benefits from damage bonuses to its own type, but also the original damage type.

1000 Cold damage, 50% Inc. Spell damage, 70% Inc. Cold damage, 30% Inc. Fire damage.

Without Cold to Fire, only Inc. Spell and Cold applies:
1000 * (1 + (50/100) + (70/100)) = 2200 Cold damage

With 40% Cold to Fire, Conversion is done based on the Base Cold damage of 1000:
1000 * (40/100) = 400 Fire
1000 - 400 = 600 Cold

Cold damage has the same modifiers:
600 * (1 + (50/100) + (70/100)) = 1320 Cold damage
Fire damage is converted-from-Cold, so it benefits from Inc. Spell, Fire and Cold damage:
400 * (1 + (50/100) + (70/100) + (30/100)) = 1000 Fire damage
Pure Ice Witch here, using this gem if I am facing a lot of Cold Resistant mobs. Besides double elemental spam is better then just cold with Elemental Weakness.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info