Freezing Pulse

Act 2 Ruthless, in combination with only Lesser Multiple Projectiles, it's still my main damage source.
Current build is a Chaos Innoculation witch with most of my points in Energy Shield related passive.
My main two attack skills are this with LMP and Ice Spear with Faster Projectiles and Increased Critical Damage. Freezing Pulse generally serves as my all around damage and crowd control whereas Ice Spear is for single target primarily just far away ranged enemies. I tried LMP Ice Spear but didn't find it all that good in comparison.
It's fantastic for my iron will based ice witch. I have to say though that the quality bonus doesn't make much sense to me - a projectile speed bonus to an already fast spell? It would be better in my opinion for quality to improve the damage, or extend the range.
"
Killas900 wrote:
It's fantastic for my iron will based ice witch. I have to say though that the quality bonus doesn't make much sense to me - a projectile speed bonus to an already fast spell? It would be better in my opinion for quality to improve the damage, or extend the range.

It's actually fairly important for Freezing Pulse because it DOES extend the range, and also because the wave looses power as it travels, doing only a percentage of its maximum damage at anything but point blank range. It says this right on the gem skill description, but a lot of people don't realize it.

I added something to this effect on the wiki entry for freezing pulse.
Urist McDwarfy has been happy lately. He admired an exceptional ARPG recently. He took joy in slaughter lately. He has been attacked by the dead recently.
Check out the Path of Exile wiki: http://en.pathofexilewiki.com
does blast radius passive/ + area of affect work with freezing pulse?
No. It's a projectile that can't be made larger.
Urist McDwarfy has been happy lately. He admired an exceptional ARPG recently. He took joy in slaughter lately. He has been attacked by the dead recently.
Unavailable

Somehow i like this skill, as we can see i combined Cold to Fire, Chance to Ignite and Iron Will, i am a Necromancer who skilled much on Fire Magic, and that Combination is Great for that, my Foes Burn to Ashes whit it:-).

The Good(IMO)

Fast Casting Speed.

Nice Group Control.

Low Mana Cost.

The Bad(IMO)

Its Range is pretty low.

Its Damage is ok, but maybe it could have a chance to cause bleeding? (it looks really Sharp for me...).

---

Also i have read about increasing the Gore of the Game, i would suggest that this Skill could Cut Limbs from the Foes if possible, cause this Skill looks so Sharp:-).

Takahiro the Inferno Necromancer!
My Army of Death is Filled whit Tons of TNT:)!
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
Skill description suggests it has a chance to cause the ice status effect without a crit. Is pulse meant to be capable of freezing without a crit? Description suggests it is, but I have not noticed this happening.

Would perhaps be way too strong in combo with LMP/GMP, but I expected something cool to happen and it doesn't :)

fire/sword balanced hybrid shadow, trying to fit an ice spell (with Burning Cold) on my hotbar for some control.
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Like an elephant in the forest.
Last edited by Zakaluka on Jul 20, 2012, 10:28:03 PM
"
Zakaluka wrote:
Skill description suggests it has a chance to cause the ice status effect without a crit. Is pulse meant to be capable of freezing without a crit? Description suggests it is, but I have not noticed this happening.

Would perhaps be way too strong in combo with LMP/GMP, but I expected something cool to happen and it doesn't :)

fire/sword balanced hybrid shadow, trying to fit an ice spell (with Burning Cold) on my hotbar for some control.

It seems to be freezing without crits in my testing. I do remember it being a higher chance though, as I only saw a few non-crit freezes. I think part of the confusion lies in the fact that it doesn't have a stat that says "+x% chance to freeze". I believe that is because the freeze chance is variable depending on the amount of time the projectile has existed. So a FP at close range has a much higher chance to freeze than one hitting at your maximum range. I'm guessing the freezing effect is also much more noticeable when linked to LMP or GMP since each of the stacked projectiles has its own chance to freeze as it does damage (though with less duration due to less damage).
Last edited by UristMcDwarfy on Jul 21, 2012, 2:18:39 AM
"
UristMcDwarfy wrote:
I'm guessing the freezing effect is also much more noticeable when linked to LMP or GMP since each of the stacked projectiles has its own chance to freeze as it does damage (though with less duration due to less damage).

Perhaps. And this is what I'm hoping for / looking for.

I am trying to replicate an effect I ran into on a random elite Merveil's Attendant (the ones in ship graveyard that cast a more slowly animated freezing pulse.... that looks more like a water pulse, and its aoe behaves differently).

She had the multiple projectiles property, and I underestimated it because that spell is usually pretty weak. But then when 5 of those ice waves hit me at once, I realized DAMN - I can't dodge that and it will freeze me almost every time it hits. I barely escaped, and only due to having proper flasks equipped - thawing/panicked.

Now I'm giving this a shot myself, and with LMP linked to pulse I don't seem to get a similar effect. I might just need to level up the gem more so the freeze effect is noticeable. and maybe link projectile speed/duration supports as well.
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Like an elephant in the forest.
Last edited by Zakaluka on Jul 22, 2012, 2:37:14 PM
"
UristMcDwarfy wrote:
It seems to be freezing without crits in my testing. I do remember it being a higher chance though, as I only saw a few non-crit freezes. I think part of the confusion lies in the fact that it doesn't have a stat that says "+x% chance to freeze". I believe that is because the freeze chance is variable depending on the amount of time the projectile has existed.
Correct. It has a theoretical 100% chance for an enemy standing at the exact centre of the projectile when it's created (I believe this is impossible due to them colliding with you in such a case), which linearly decreases to 0% when the projectile has existed for 25% of it's total duration. The freeze is only for against close-up enemies.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info