Flicker Strike

Unavailable

Post your 0.9.4 feedback for this skill here.

Make sure you concisely state your character build, level, and other complimenting abilities you have when you talk about a skill - The more we know about your character, the better we can understand your feedback.
Balance & Design
Last bumped on Mar 25, 2024, 11:10:47 AM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
It's hard to measure this, but it feels like at higher swing speeds, a lot of Flicker Strikes aren't registering. I'm playing a 38 sword-and-board duelist and use Flicker Strike as my primary single-target skill; I have an increased speed gem supporting it. With four Frenzy charges built up, my character screen tells me I get around 2.3 attacks per second, so Flicker Strike is considerably faster than that. I've got something like 91% to hit, so it's not just misses that I'm seeing.

Using the skill repeatedly without a target selected seems to cause more of this to happen (i.e., Flicker spam on a single target still seems to "miss" more than it should, but less than it does without a specific target).
------
"And 'Do what thou willst' shall be the whole of the law." -- Aleister Crowley
"First, love; then, do what thou willst." -- St. Augustine
"Whatever is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
"
It's hard to measure this, but it feels like at higher swing speeds, a lot of Flicker Strikes aren't registering. I'm playing a 38 sword-and-board duelist and use Flicker Strike as my primary single-target skill; I have an increased speed gem supporting it. With four Frenzy charges built up, my character screen tells me I get around 2.3 attacks per second, so Flicker Strike is considerably faster than that. I've got something like 91% to hit, so it's not just misses that I'm seeing.

Using the skill repeatedly without a target selected seems to cause more of this to happen (i.e., Flicker spam on a single target still seems to "miss" more than it should, but less than it does without a specific target).

yep, a known not-a-bug.

this is due to moving monsters. If a monster just moves out of reach when you flickerstrike to it, you´ll miss and have to flicker to it again. It it moves fast enough, you´ll might miss again.
That's why I am switching between Flickerstrike and Cleave. Make those suckers pay for moving away!

Still, Flickerstrike on my 2-handed marauder is simply awesome. Picking off archers before handling the mobs, and directly going for the Aura-boss makes the skill awesome.

Even as a boss-killer, flickerstrike does its job well. Since you keep changing position, most bosses spend their times turning around, and around, and around, while I am killing them with "ease".. ahem..

Good skill, wouln´t change a thing about it right now. (lvl 36 marauder, 2-handed axe, blood magic, main skill: flicker strike.).
Don't Touch my Sweep please GGG!
"
xchokeholdx wrote:
"

yep, a known not-a-bug.

this is due to moving monsters. If a monster just moves out of reach when you flickerstrike to it, you´ll miss and have to flicker to it again. It it moves fast enough, you´ll might miss again.
That's why I am switching between Flickerstrike and Cleave. Make those suckers pay for moving away!

Still, Flickerstrike on my 2-handed marauder is simply awesome. Picking off archers before handling the mobs, and directly going for the Aura-boss makes the skill awesome.

Even as a boss-killer, flickerstrike does its job well. Since you keep changing position, most bosses spend their times turning around, and around, and around, while I am killing them with "ease".. ahem..

Good skill, wouln´t change a thing about it right now. (lvl 36 marauder, 2-handed axe, blood magic, main skill: flicker strike.).

Similar to my marauder except I also have Avatar of Fire and use a 2h axe for awesome damage and sweep for those big groups.
Walking the path since August 20th 2011.
I tried flicker striking and using a skill on arrival. It would be good, imo, if the delay was shorter so you could actually combo like this

ATM it really feels like you strike...pause...pause some more... and your other skill fires. All the while the mobs are well on their way eating your legs
This skill looks awesome but feels really glitchy. I think if something is out of range, it should be determined before the skill decides to strike. It also seems that it is attacking so fast with my duelist that the server cannot keep up. I can see my mana globe freaking out while using the skill, jumping up and down (no mana steal is being used). While it may be considered working as intended, I believe you guys can do a much better job with it. What is happening on screen definitely does not represent what is actually happening in the game.

Maybe try out something like one cast hits x amount of enemies, which then levels up with the skill. If x amount of enemies are not present, it will hit the 1 enemy multiple times. Lower the damage so that the skill isn't way overpowered.
Last edited by sharkh20 on Dec 8, 2011, 11:55:57 PM
For the record, I've seen a significant improvement in the behavior of this skill since 0.9.4. It still gets a little crazy if it can't find a place for me to "land" next to the target (it lands the hit, then pops me back to my starting location), but I hardly ever see it miss altogether now like it was before, and it definitely feels like every time I use the skill, damage gets dealt to something. It's a blast to rack up 5 frenzy charges, walk into a room full of stuff, and just hold the button down without targeting anything in particular. I'm also not seeing the mana-bouncing behavior sharkh20 is describing; my mana seems to be consumed as normal, then refilled proportionately to my mana leech.

My one complaint is that its base range seems to be a little low; if I let it pick its own target, sometimes it'll throw me a full screen over, but if I try to target something half a screen away (e.g., some archers behind the crowd I'm in the middle of), my dude tries to waddle closer first, which is both counter-intuitive and dangerous.
------
"Whatever is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
"
For the record, I've seen a significant improvement in the behavior of this skill since 0.9.4. It still gets a little crazy if it can't find a place for me to "land" next to the target (it lands the hit, then pops me back to my starting location), but I hardly ever see it miss altogether now like it was before, and it definitely feels like every time I use the skill, damage gets dealt to something. It's a blast to rack up 5 frenzy charges, walk into a room full of stuff, and just hold the button down without targeting anything in particular. I'm also not seeing the mana-bouncing behavior sharkh20 is describing; my mana seems to be consumed as normal, then refilled proportionately to my mana leech.

My one complaint is that its base range seems to be a little low; if I let it pick its own target, sometimes it'll throw me a full screen over, but if I try to target something half a screen away (e.g., some archers behind the crowd I'm in the middle of), my dude tries to waddle closer first, which is both counter-intuitive and dangerous.

What type of weapon/weapons are you using? If I use a two handed hammer or something, it seems fine, but with two speedy weapons (completely specced into damage and attack speed with swords) it just goes crazy.

Edit: I just sort of flash all over the screen and not really finishing a single swing, which makes it extremely difficult for me to tell if I am hitting anything. Things do die, but what is displayed really doesn't portray anything like what is actually happening.

Edit again: It seems that if I keep pressing the skill rather than holding the key down, the skill works a bit more as intended. I find that if I am holding it down, my character rubberbands a lot, causing it to visually look like my character is jumping and extra time or two. It seems that when this rubberband happens, my mana goes down and then comes back up because it is not an actual strike. Will keep testing.
Last edited by sharkh20 on Dec 9, 2011, 12:37:25 AM
I'm using sword-and-shield. With the 5 frenzy charges I've got so far, I get just under 4 Flicker Strikes per second.

It's definitely much more effective and easier to keep track of if you target things with it and burn them down one at a time.
------
"
I'm using sword-and-shield. With the 5 frenzy charges I've got so far, I get just under 4 Flicker Strikes per second.

It's definitely much more effective and easier to keep track of if you target things with it and burn them down one at a time.

Yeah, I think my problem is, I am just holding the key down without a focus. My character is trying to jump from one enemy to the next way too quickly. It looks really cool, but it isn't really working right.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info