Firestorm

This skill deals tons of damage early game and if you can focus many casts on one target it outdamages lots of spells... But its crit effects are horrible and you cant really support it with many viable gems.
"
NagiSoi wrote:
This skill deals tons of damage early game and if you can focus many casts on one target it outdamages lots of spells... But its crit effects are horrible and you cant really support it with many viable gems.

Increased Duration, Faster Casting, Concentrated Effect, Increased Area of Effect (only if needed to offset Conc.), Fire Penatration, Increased Rarity seem like good supports.
"
Lo4f wrote:
"
NagiSoi wrote:

Increased Duration, Faster Casting, Concentrated Effect, Increased Area of Effect (only if needed to offset Conc.), Fire Penatration, Increased Rarity seem like good supports.

Increased area of effect is counterproductive for this spell the other can go.
New support enhance can make firestorm q36 increasing fireballs /s from 5 to 6.3, increasing dps by 26%
"
kavinux wrote:
New support enhance can make firestorm q36 increasing fireballs /s from 5 to 6.3, increasing dps by 26%

Probably one of the best if not the best support gem for firestorm.
it adds flat quality boost and not increases quality by a percent like the description says?
When discussing single target dps, what can firestorm do that firetrap can't do better?

I feel like firetrap does so much better single target dps.
PM me here is best way to contact me.
"
ArchersBane wrote:
When discussing single target dps, what can firestorm do that firetrap can't do better?

I feel like firetrap does so much better single target dps.

Firetrap has so much higher damage than firestorm. Not only the explosion effect has high damage, but also the burn of firetrap is quite significant. And I find firetrap to be far more superior in area damage also.

Firestorm, as it is, has no use whatsoever, especially in end game/maps. Even if the damage was increased to be twice of what it is now, spells like fire trap or lmp/gmp freezing pulse would win 100/0 due to their higher damage.
Not only that, but linking firestorm with concentrated effect is a bad idea, as it decreases the area of the spell, but also the explosion area. And it happens to be that both of them round to worse numbers, fireball explosion rounds to 9 * 0.7 = 6.3 -> 6 and the spell area 18 * 0.7 = 12.6 -> 13. Now each fireball has even smaller chance to hit a target. I'm not 100% positive if they get rounded though.
When partying, I've never seen anyone use firestorm. Never. Ever. I've got many characters in 80+ levels and played PoE first time about a year ago. That is how bad firestorm actually is. No high level player or streamer use firestorm, it is just so bad. Spectral throw does about 10x dps. Why would they use firestorm? It's a forgotten spell that has very little to no use. GGG ?

TL;DR Firestorm damage needs to be buffed. Never seen anyone above lvl 70 use it. Even if the base damage was increased 100%, I'm quite positive other spells like firetrap and freezing pulse would give alot higher DPS. Or the areas could be changed, so that from 9 radius of explosion and 18 radius of spell, it could have something like 11 radius of explosion and 17 radius of spell.
Analysis of 1.0.4 Firestorm change:
Math:
Spoiler
Pre 1.0.4 (q0)
# of fireballs dropped = 8
Drop area radius = 18
Fireball Radius = 9

18^2 * PI = Ratio * 9^2 * PI (Ratio between drop area and fireball area, or how many fireballs you need to hit everyone in area once)
Ratio = 4
Average # of hits per target per cast: 8/4 = 2 (Each target gets hit by 2 fireballs per firestorm cast on average)

Post 1.0.4 (q0)
# of fireballs dropped = 12
Drop area radius = 25
Fireball Radius = 9

25^2 * PI = Ratio * 9^2 * PI
Ratio = ~7.72
Average # of hits per target per cast: 12/7,72 = ~1.55

DPS change after 1.04:
(1.55 * 1.35) / 2 = 1.045

DPS per target has been increased by 4.5%*
Area has been increased by 35%

*This might be different with increased/reduced area of effect.
Last edited by Scol91 on Dec 23, 2013, 4:38:24 AM
Scol91's calculation is correct. Because monsters aren't points, i prefer thinking it differently. The result stays same. The following calculations are true with increased/reduced area:

-There's 102,5% more damage output: 50% more fireballs, 35% more damage. 1,50*1,35=2,025.
-The area, where it is possible for the fireballs to drop is now 93,21% bigger. (1,39*r)^2*Pi/(r^2*Pi)=1,9321. Let's call this Skill-area.
-Any monster covers a certain area. If you expand that area to every direction by the radius of a single fireball, you get the area, where, if a fireball drops, it hits the monster. Let's call this Monster-area.

If pre-patch this Monster-area is completely inside the Skill-area and would cover x% of it, x% of the fireballs would hit it. Post-patch it would now cover (x/1,9321)% of it, (0,518*x)%. Now only (0,518*x)% of the fireballs would hit it. If you add in the changed damage output, you get 0,518 * 2,025 = 1,048. That means 4,8% more damage. (The difference is a result of rounding.)

If pre-patch the Monster-area is NOT completely inside the Skill-area, the situation changes. Since the Skill-area is increased, you get more of the Monster-area inside of it. You can see this as an increase in the Monster-area and it results in even more damage to the monster. This applies to monsters that are on the edge of the skill or are so huge they don't fit inside the skill, like soul eater Carrion Queens with increased life.

Now, where the change truly shines is big packs and moving monsters. It is farely accepted, that Firestorm is best with the smallest possible, 30% reduced area. If you get a big enough pack, there was no way to cover it completely. After the patch, you hit more monsters in the pack. Hitting moving objects, like melee Storm Heralds chasing after you is now hugely easier. If they run through the Firestorm, they have to run a longer way to get from one side to the other, thus staying in longer, thus getting hit a lot more.

All in all this was a tiny buff to single target damage, but a huge aoe and utility buff!
I live in Finland. =)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info