[3.4] "Size doesn't matter" - Double Strike Tank Guide [HC] Atziri/Izaro/Guardians/Shaper/Elder

"
bbqbot wrote:

Here's the deal:

This build has a Double Strike single target DPS gem setup that leans on bloodlust. This attack, however, cannot apply bleed.
This build also has a multi-target/clearing gem setup, for which he also uses Double Strike. This must apply bleed, but really can be whatever skill you want.

For trash, you don't use the single target setup at all, just the clearing (up to 6) link.

For bosses, you attack with the clearing skill setup until bleed is applied, and then switch to hitting with the single target DS setup to dish out that sweet, sweet added flat damage to bleeding targets.

The argument for using Vaal Double Strike in both is because DS's Vaal activation is insane: two clones that go ham (hard as a mofo) on your single target. With two Vaal DS skillgems, that means FOUR clones taking the train to Boss City, soon to be population: ZERO.

It seems one direction to take the build into specific boss encounter would be to 6-link the bloodlust et al. DS attack and then set up Ancestral Warchief to make the boss bleed. But then again, this drops the 'Bosses with Friends' aspect of the build.

Thanks for your great explanation. Currently I'm running around with just one clearing setup (normal double strike) and using it to kill bosses aswell (yes, not that great) - but I'm managing.

I've tried the vaal version, but I just can't get it. The base damage is so much lower so you'll need the clones - but they just last for 6 seconds.. Could you explain to me how you are playing this build? Because the guide is using the normal version and the vaal version.
"
Gerwim wrote:

Thanks for your great explanation. Currently I'm running around with just one clearing setup (normal double strike) and using it to kill bosses aswell (yes, not that great) - but I'm managing.

I've tried the vaal version, but I just can't get it. The base damage is so much lower so you'll need the clones - but they just last for 6 seconds.. Could you explain to me how you are playing this build? Because the guide is using the normal version and the vaal version.

Vaal Double Strike tooltip shows way less DPS. That's normal. I don't know why exactly it may be a bug from what I can tell.

For anyone wondering how this build works I'll explain it like this:

This build uses three double strike attacks

1) You have your 5-6 Link clearspeed Double Strike, with Ancestral Call/Melee Splash that procs Herald/Hatred crit bombs to blow up packs of trash mobs

2)
You have your Vaal Double Strike (preferably pseudo 6 link buffed by shaper stat stick) but you ALSO hotkey the NORMAL Double Strike off your Vaal gem as well. Because Vaal Gems give both the Vaal and the Normal version of skills now - right? So you want to slot your normal Double Strike off your vaal setup here. It should be your highest single target tooltip DPS ability at any given time.

3) You have your Vaal Double Strike clones slotted somewhere as well. This is the actual Vaal version that spawns clones.

So you clear trash mobs, save up 2 charges of Vaal DS. When you get to the boss you drop Ancestral Warchief, spawn 2 Vaal DS clones, and jump onto the boss with your single-target Double Strike as well. The vaal DS will do the majority of the work as long as you have trash cleared but your single-target DS is no slouch.

Do it right and bosses get turned into mince meat.
Last edited by Abletto on Sep 16, 2018, 4:05:58 PM
Has anyone managed to complete Uber Elder with this build yet? Mind sharing your gears and or variation of the build?
Hello, haven't played in a while and am a bit confused.
Around level 40 I'm finding I have more dps showing on the tooltip when having Lakishu's blade as main and Princess Sabre as offhand. Is it worthwile keeping this setup for a while rather than using something like the skinning knife? At this level I'm finding the sabre as offhand to have the most DPS out of anything I've tried. Is this due to the 15% increased attack speed of the extra % as cold damage?

Last edited by Morrison16 on Sep 17, 2018, 11:43:20 AM
just wondering before i throw some more currency out of the window. i have a unused 6l starforge lying around. Could this build also work with a 6l weapon+6l chest?

nvm, just checked the node on the skilltree. going with nebuloch and a rare elder weapon then for the start
Last edited by Camatoo on Sep 17, 2018, 4:31:41 PM
I'm not sure what to aim for in terms of weapon upgrades. I see a bunch of people uses Ahn's MH/pseudo 6 link shaper.elder offhand. Is this better than Psuedo 6/Shaped Stat stick OH?
"
Abletto wrote:
"
Gerwim wrote:

Vaal Double Strike tooltip shows way less DPS. That's normal. I don't know why exactly it may be a bug from what I can tell.

1) You have your 5-6 Link clearspeed Double Strike, with Ancestral Call/Melee Splash that procs Herald/Hatred crit bombs to blow up packs of trash mobs

2)
You have your Vaal Double Strike (preferably pseudo 6 link buffed by shaper stat stick) but you ALSO hotkey the NORMAL Double Strike off your Vaal gem as well. Because Vaal Gems give both the Vaal and the Normal version of skills now - right? So you want to slot your normal Double Strike off your vaal setup here. It should be your highest single target tooltip DPS ability at any given time.

3) You have your Vaal Double Strike clones slotted somewhere as well. This is the actual Vaal version that spawns clones.

So you clear trash mobs, save up 2 charges of Vaal DS. When you get to the boss you drop Ancestral Warchief, spawn 2 Vaal DS clones, and jump onto the boss with your single-target Double Strike as well. The vaal DS will do the majority of the work as long as you have trash cleared but your single-target DS is no slouch.

But you dont need to use the normal DS in your mainweapon, do you?
You could also swap the single target skills in your 6L chest to AOE (since they deal more damage on max level than your 5l shaper weapon) might be a bit overkill thought

what would my gems be in this for my single target?

currently have

kinda new to melee builds so if anyone see's a major upgrade on my gear please do tell.

Last edited by AlienFX_ on Sep 18, 2018, 4:09:51 AM
"
Abletto wrote:

It might seem dumb with all the dope main hands posted on this thread but a high-roll Ahn's has the base Physical dmg of a Rare wep worth 3 exalt, AND it adds 50% Crit Multi. Great budget main hand, prolly won't cost more than 20 chaos. Just try to get one that's within 5% of a perfect roll and you're set.

My weps aren't BiS but it's what I can do for right now. Anything better will require huge costs and I'm not sure how much more DPS I can squeeze out of it. Helm enchant is my next upgrade.

I still dont get this. You give up the stat stick no? Isnt that a huge damage loss? Can anyone explain?
"
Abletto wrote:
"
Gerwim wrote:

2)

Thanks for your great explanation aswell! However I don't get this part:
"
So you want to slot your normal Double Strike off your vaal setup here. It should be your highest single target tooltip DPS ability at any given time.

This does not make sense, because the Double Strike version (of the Vaal gem) has way lower DPS than the normal Double Strike version. Vaal version has (0% quality) 70% of base damage and lower phyiscal dmg for bleeding targets than the normal one.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info