⚡⚡ The BestShockwaveBuildEver ⚡⚡ [CI/Crit/Dual Totem][2.0] - [Plus additional Budget Guide]

I made a shockwave totem build myself and frankly when i hear about numbers on 7-8k dps im surprised.. I was able to reach that at lvl 65 3rd day of the league.

Right now my 5link does 30k dmg on each totem (no powercharges).

Anyways what I actually came here to say was that i think you should swap out conc effet and increased area of effect with added fire and phys to lightning. For me the tooltip is better on the last 2 gems + you get a ton of extra damage when you take into account the added burn and the fact that you can easily shock bosses with all that lightning damage.
Imo the "core" for swt should be SWT - Faster Cast - Added fire - Phys to lightning and then you have to decide between conc effect + increased area or critmultiplier + something else(im running rarity as 6th as i already have 30k dmg). Also the aoe seems to be a little bigger without conceffect+incr.aoe.

Another valid point is that i really think you should run Hatred... My hatred alone ads 4k ish dps in cold damage, so now i shock freeze and burn everything in sight ... :)
Then again I'm also life based and I guess discipline helps on the ES. But freezing everything is survivability in itself :)

EDIT: What i realized by far was the best 3 stats on any weapon for swt is cast speed - spell damage - spell crit (in that particular order). If theres no cast speed, dont get the wand/scepter :)
Last edited by Lamaen on Jul 29, 2015, 7:54:25 PM
"
ar3ik1049 wrote:
i wearing 2 x divinarius now and my dps on 85lev its just 7000
maybe will be better if i use 2 x doryani scepter?

Just watched over your gear, you actually lack a bit of cast speed modifiers and at least a +1 stat for your shockwave totem.

Doryani is a very bad choice for this spec since it's completely elemental damage related and we're aiming towards physical damage since most monsters got particular resistances to elemental damage especially bosses.

please let me requote myself here ...

"

[...]
if you're not able to get somehow a 6L then try to get the Vertex and use it for your Shockwave link-setup, it provides in the end much more damage with it's included +1 to "all socketed gems" and you can also spend more points on damage related passive nodes instead of mana specific passive nodes.[...]

Other than that a level 3 Empower gem is around 2 Ex at the moment, shouldn't be such a hurdle to get one :)

The good part is you've got everywhere a lot of room for upgrades and improvements :)

___________________________________________________________________________________________

"
Behrens wrote:
Am I seeing the passive tree right? MoM + CI? Didn't think that combination worked?

Works pretty good so far :)
- Best Signature Ever -
Last edited by BestUsernameEver on Jul 29, 2015, 9:48:00 PM
"
Lamaen wrote:
I made a shockwave totem build myself and frankly when i hear about numbers on 7-8k dps im surprised.. I was able to reach that at lvl 65 3rd day of the league.

Right now my 5link does 30k dmg on each totem (no powercharges).

Anyways what I actually came here to say was that i think you should swap out conc effet and increased area of effect with added fire and phys to lightning. For me the tooltip is better on the last 2 gems + you get a ton of extra damage when you take into account the added burn and the fact that you can easily shock bosses with all that lightning damage.
Imo the "core" for swt should be SWT - Faster Cast - Added fire - Phys to lightning and then you have to decide between conc effect + increased area or critmultiplier + something else(im running rarity as 6th as i already have 30k dmg). Also the aoe seems to be a little bigger without conceffect+incr.aoe.

Another valid point is that i really think you should run Hatred... My hatred alone ads 4k ish dps in cold damage, so now i shock freeze and burn everything in sight ... :)
Then again I'm also life based and I guess discipline helps on the ES. But freezing everything is survivability in itself :)

EDIT: What i realized by far was the best 3 stats on any weapon for swt is cast speed - spell damage - spell crit (in that particular order). If theres no cast speed, dont get the wand/scepter :)

Hi,

first of all thanks for your input and there are surely many ways to artificially boost the tooltip DPS but tooltip DPS is nothing but a theoretical value, the only elemental modifier i use is lightning and only just to apply shock, the rest is intentionally pure phys since all mobs got innately more or less resistances to particular elemental damage types and this means much less damage arives at the other end, or in other words a lot of your tooltip damage get lost halfway and it's even more worse if you get packs with curse immunity or if you get maps with elemental equilibrium.

So if you're asking me not a good tradeoff just for some additional numbers.

What i plan to add but where i still need to figure out how is haste, up to 16%-17% additional cast speed is nothing but great.
- Best Signature Ever -
Last edited by BestUsernameEver on Jul 29, 2015, 10:05:54 PM
Hi, I would like to know why you use Herald of Thunder, instead of Herald of Ashe?

I think Herald of Thunder is not good in this build since we cannot shock with it or use the passive when we kill a shocked ennemy (ancestral bond = no damages), or even Herald of Ice but not enough dexterity on it, and Herald of Ashe give me more damages.

I thought you were using physical to lightning instead of concentrated effect for cleaning and switching it for bosses or something like that.

Thanks for your time and your build.
"
Khimar wrote:
Hi, I would like to know why you use Herald of Thunder, instead of Herald of Ashe?

I think Herald of Thunder is not good in this build since we cannot shock with it or use the passive when we kill a shocked ennemy (ancestral bond = no damages), or even Herald of Ice but not enough dexterity on it, and Herald of Ashe give me more damages.

I thought you were using physical to lightning instead of concentrated effect for cleaning and switching it for bosses or something like that.

Thanks for your time and your build.

Hi Khimar :)

HoT does shock, the "cannot apply shock" part applies to the lightning bolts but not to the added damge type itself.

I chose HoT over HoI because shock is a damage multiplicator while freeze is more a crowd control effect, so i took damage over cowd control.
I would use both but my mana pool is limited, the same goes also for HoA.

For the physical to lightning part let me quote myself:

"
there are surely many ways to artificially boost the tooltip DPS but tooltip DPS is nothing but a theoretical value, the only elemental modifier i use is lightning and only just to apply shock, the rest is intentionally pure phys since all mobs got innately more or less resistances to particular elemental damage types and this means much less damage arives at the other end, or in other words a lot of your tooltip damage get lost halfway and it's even more worse if you get packs with curse immunity or if you get maps with elemental equilibrium.

- Best Signature Ever -
Last edited by BestUsernameEver on Aug 2, 2015, 11:44:42 AM
Thanks, I'm gonna use Herald of thunder on more chars now ^^ I didn't know it worked like it after I saw it cannot shock on tooltip.

Bye.
"
Khimar wrote:
Thanks, I'm gonna use Herald of thunder on more chars now ^^ I didn't know it worked like it after I saw it cannot shock on tooltip.

Bye.

You're welcome, other than that your gear looks already good for level 64, and don't forget to get also a crit amu as soon as possible :)
- Best Signature Ever -
Hi, by no means an attempt to critique your build, i am a new player (had a 2 year break), just want to ask a few questions so i understand your decision making, if you do not mind.

1) Why CI? Is it the lack of points to go hp-armor or something else?

2) Tried to do a Power Charges version, got to level 30 so i could insert most of the gems and see how it looks like, and realised that i will have to stand and spam a spell which does no damage just to generate Power Charges. Fuck that. So this is not really a question, just an acknowledgment, nice to see a non-PC crit build working. Gonna reroll now since i'm not far into the game, and go w/o Power Charges (i also do not have any uniques and expensive items which could help me with Power Charges).

3) Do you think it's possible to run this with the following links - Shockwave Totem, Faster Casting, Increased Crit, Increased Crit Dmg, Inreased Area. If yes, which 6th gem would you add if i ever get to that stage with this build? I intentionally did not include Conc Effect, i realise how powerful it is, but i do not want to use it.

4) Also sorry if i missed that, this was either in this thread or another one, but basically someone said that hybrid defenses are not viable endgame - do you think the same? I would like to try and run an armor+es and life build, if i manage to get a decent amount of the required nodes in the tree.
Last edited by r3bs on Aug 3, 2015, 5:53:08 PM
"
r3bs wrote:
Hi, by no means an attempt to critique your build, i am a new player (had a 2 year break), just want to ask a few questions so i understand your decision making, if you do not mind.

1) Why CI? Is it the lack of points to go hp-armor or something else?

2) Tried to do a Power Charges version, got to level 30 so i could insert most of the gems and see how it looks like, and realised that i will have to stand and spam a spell which does no damage just to generate Power Charges. Fuck that. So this is not really a question, just an acknowledgment, nice to see a non-PC crit build working. Gonna reroll now since i'm not far into the game, and go w/o Power Charges (i also do not have any uniques and expensive items which could help me with Power Charges).

3) Do you think it's possible to run this with the following links - Shockwave Totem, Faster Casting, Increased Crit, Increased Crit Dmg, Inreased Area. If yes, which 6th gem would you add if i ever get to that stage with this build? I intentionally did not include Conc Effect, i realise how powerful it is, but i do not want to use it.

4) Also sorry if i missed that, this was either in this thread or another one, but basically someone said that hybrid defenses are not viable endgame - do you think the same? I would like to try and run an armor+es and life build, if i manage to get a decent amount of the required nodes in the tree.

Hi r3bs :)

1) Actually chaos damage hurts more than before and the higher the maps the more it hurts, also the incoming chaos projectiles quadrupled at least since the new patch, and its worth a lot if you're able to ignore all chaos damage sources while you gain more freedom to focus on other threats.

2) Exactly plus you're highly immobile and a perfectly fixed target while you cast.

3) "Theoretically" you could use 20% reduced mana and save up mana nodes and instead you can spend it on damage related passive nodes wich results in at least 50-70% additional damage (theoretically of course since i didn't tested it out)

4) Yeah that was me, because you need to spend passive nodes twice on both defense types to get with them on an effective level and extra passives are nothing but pure luxury since GGG made leveling a pain once you're around level 90 :)

Armor is only good against physical attacks and spells, now let's say you've got 4K armor and 4K ES and later in maps you get hit by an elemental damage type with a proportionally higher amount of damage than you're able to compensate with 4K ES and capped res.
So what is going to happen is that you die because armor did absolutely nothing in this particular case.

The best counter measure in such a case is to stack an ES pool as high as possible to withstand at least one or two such attacks and to give recharge a second to refill your ES. (the combination with block chance is explicitly recommended).
- Best Signature Ever -
Last edited by BestUsernameEver on Aug 5, 2015, 7:18:48 AM
Thanks for the reply :) Made my own slight modification of this build, we'll see how it turns out - didn't get the Templar nodes, and went to the center for Scion ES circle and Mana nearby. I am also grabbing 2-3 almost full Aura clusters, i think the story respecs will be enough to get rid of them if i dont find them worthwhile.

I am also thinking of trying to run this with an Eclipse Staff (taking 3 nodes to the right from Arcane Potency for global crit), not sure if this is a good idea or not (no block at all), just wanna see how it compares to dual wands/scepters offensively. Another option is to use a spirit shield and pick 3 shield nodes near Witch's starting area. What are your thoughts on wands/scepters vs a single staff?
Last edited by r3bs on Aug 5, 2015, 1:51:26 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info