Flame Dash

I use this skill in a spell totem to complement my searing bond build. They complement each other so well in the (now current) talisman league that it's practically obscene. I have no complaints or suggestions, i just wanted to thank you guys for enabling a really cool skill synergy between these two skills.
My contribution (nothing original, but I want to be one of many to push GGG to):

CHANGE TARGETING OF FLAME DASH.

If flame dash had built in shift key, meaning I could press anywhere on the screen to move, this would be awesome skill, while still balanced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pls GGG change this, there's no reason why poor casters need to jog all the time, considering this is our main damage avoidance and mitigation tactic.

Thank you.
Agree with you all

This skill is annoying because of pressing Shift is required to use it how it should be.
Yet another 5 cents from me.
I'm also towards adding some way to enable "auto-shift" behavior.
The reason is very simple - lags.
More details.
I'm playing through Wine on Linux. And I'm experiencing pretty annoying freezes when scene becomes very dynamic. Like, when I open strongbox, I have several packs of mobs spawned around. At this moment game turns slideshow for 2-3 seconds. And I think it's partially client side. And at this moment I naturally want to flame dash out. And if I won't hold shift for long enough, I'd get my witch walk to jump point. Which it can't do, being surrounded by mobs.
"
sfangwb wrote:
Only thing I have to say about Flame Dash is that the targeting is a little bit wonky. If you don't shift-click and click out of the skill's maximum range, you walk over before teleporting. This can be kind of clunky in the middle of chaotic fights. Consider just making your character just teleport the maximum range in the direction clicked if the player clicks outside of the skill's range.

Aside from that, it does what it's supposed to do. No complaints.

Wow. I came here to write about exactly this (+1). This twisted behaviour is unintuitive and makes it unreliable.

It also makes the quality bonus useless, because what is the point of increasing the cast rate, when it doesn't immediately perform the dash, but dilly-dallys to some unknown point first?! The increased cast rate simply diminishes when the entire duration of this twisted behaviour is more or less a random amount of time (the walking time + dash).

Also the argument of this twisted behaviour being somehow important is mood. The cumulative DoT damage is a lot stronger than the hit damage. Even if you were using it for the purpose of an attack would you not really care where exactly you land, but only that you don't land directly on the target. If one wanted to land directly on the target are there also other skills available for that purpose such as Shield Charge, which don't need to have their behaviour copied by Flame Dash, but rather should one want more diversity among the skills and not more of the same.

Further, it is irrelevant if the end point is a defined point (therefore can relied upon) when the starting point is unknown. For example... say I wanted to avoid Shocking Ground and hence dash to a point across a patch of Shocking Ground. I can choose a point free of it beyond the patch, but what does this give me? I might be walking a fair bit over Shocking Ground first before the dash, because the start point isn't exactly known. What I wanted to avoid - not to walk over Shocking Ground - can still occur. So it remains unreliable even when the end point is known.

It should get swapped with its non-shift behaviour. Please change it with the next evaluation.

Edit: I've read up on the thread and added some counter arguments to the devs' reasoning and why the current behaviour isn't as sound as they believe it to be.
I used a witch to mule over flame dash + faster casting to a marauder. I have nothing to say about the spell mechanically, but I just love how the marauder animation is just pointing and sliding to the destination.
Quand tu souris, je jouis
D'la joie d'sourire aussi
Last edited by RitoxicGame on Jun 4, 2016, 11:14:50 AM
GGG, why are you hate us so much?

ok, destination unreachable, consume charge, drain mana, waste time, ok, fine!

teleport backwards?! WHY? why movement skills are so bad? is it a joke to you?

"
Version 2.3.2 20 July 2016
  • Fixed an issue that occasionally caused Flame Dash to go backwards.

Thank you! Flame Dash suck less now.
Problem: impostor syndrome
Solution: nerf everything
Result: depressing mess
Last edited by a_z0_9 on Jul 21, 2016, 8:57:55 PM
One thing that came to my mind was to allow wand users to have infinite flame dash charges. This fixes 2 things; 1st casters will have an alternative to whirling blades which they've been trying to do. They dont want everyone using WB so why not give casters better use of a caster movement spell. Also it promotes the use of wands which most casters no longer do just because whirling blades and fortify. Why not give it a strong alternative? An infinite charge flame dash would definately be the most powerful movement spell in the game albeit without the application of fortify.
Last edited by Fistaniderya on Sep 22, 2016, 6:02:31 AM
FFS fix the targeting on this skill already. It is so **** annoying when I die because of the range of the skill. A movement skill should make you move no matter what. If it's cast out of range, then just have the character move as far as possible in that direction. How ******* hard is that?

Yeah yeah I know "just press shift to cast while standing". Well that's great if you remember to do it. Otherwise you lose that .5 seconds and that's enough to get you killed, a lot. Fuck Flamedash with a rusty spoon, seriously.
As of right now, I would only ever use Flame Dash as an auxiliary to Whirling Blades or Shield Charge to get over terrain. In fact I doubt I am alone in this respect.

For Flame Dash to actually be used as a primary movement skill it should have the following changes.

- fix the targeting, if you target something out of range, Flame Dash needs to move regarless
- extend the range. Flame Dash's range is too short
- Either remove the charges or increase them, why is this the only movement skill with a limited use?
Last edited by Bioness on Nov 7, 2016, 12:39:04 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info