Flame Dash

Already posted but basic cast should be same as shift clicking max range walking to cast defeats the purpose of it being a movement skill. Also I feel like it could do with at least 1 more charge when trying to keep up with lightning warpers/whirling blades they have infinite movement and i'm left in the dust.
"
rz2yoj wrote:
"
jerkan7 wrote:
"
sfangwb wrote:
Only thing I have to say about Flame Dash is that the targeting is a little bit wonky. If you don't shift-click and click out of the skill's maximum range, you walk over before teleporting. This can be kind of clunky in the middle of chaotic fights. Consider just making your character just teleport the maximum range in the direction clicked if the player clicks outside of the skill's range.

Aside from that, it does what it's supposed to do. No complaints.

100% agree

200% agree

300%

The skill at its current state is just asking to be macro'd. There's no reason to not implement this suggested targeting method.
I don't agree with all the suggestions for auto-cast without shift, considering they are just preference, and on the opposite side there is an actual functional result for the current state.

The reason is that when you target an area out of your default range, what will occur is that your character will walk enough so that you will end up almost EXACTLY where you positioned your cursor: meaning you can actually select the exact spot where you will go to in one click.

If the no-shift cast was implemented, then targeting a specific location becomes more difficult.

Example: what may occur is that the caster instantly does full range (assuming no obstacle or 'chasms' [because these things can actually increase your range of flame dash]), then to get to your final spot is a bit harder because your screen will have instantly shifted quite a lot, making it harder to re-target the specific spot you wanted (this may actually matter, for example dodging storm calls)

tl;dr if you think pressing shift is a chore, then there are also people who don't care about pressing shift and can realize there is a loss in functionality that is brought by being forced to hold shift every time they cast.

Well I don't really care either way as it's not a big difference, and whirling blades currently functions as the 'auto-shift' but this really does come down to a mostly arbitrary design choice considering there are people who prefer either or don't care about holding shift.

An example (wait didn't i just post a tl;dr version, why is there more):
Right now the functionality for mine skills is that if you cast lay mine, your character will move to the cursor to lay a mine. Apparently before, it was auto-shift casted (lay mine where you currently are instantly). The result right now for me is that I just hold shift every time i want to cast a mine and I don't really care. I can see that some players want to place mines in specific spots by first moving their cursor there, though I feel it is really inefficient (you are standing still while targetting your location) or that the difficulty is the exact same as the alternative of walking in a certain direction then laying mine via hold shift once your character is over the desired spot (in both case the screen is moving at rate of your movement so it's based on your timing either way: if you're moving and want to target a specific location with cursor, your screen will be moving so you have to adjust mouse to that new location constantly. If you are moving over the spot you want to place mine, gotta adjust timing so that when you press shift + lay mine your character is over the spot).

note: I refer to "shift clicking" as it's the default settings since old arpg days. I know some people use other key bindings and that may actually matter in this case (becomes more inconvenient? but we are getting into another realm of discussion as whether the player should make better choices with their bindings and playing methods... I will not partake)
"
biyte wrote:
I don't agree with all the suggestions for auto-cast without shift, considering they are just preference, and on the opposite side there is an actual functional result for the current state.

The reason is that when you target an area out of your default range, what will occur is that your character will walk enough so that you will end up almost EXACTLY where you positioned your cursor: meaning you can actually select the exact spot where you will go to in one click.
Yeah. The ability to actually go to the specific place you targeted is important for some builds/players/situations. Forcing shift behaviour without shift held removes the ability to have that control of positioning.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Jul 26, 2015, 9:07:34 PM
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
biyte wrote:

Yeah. The ability to actually go to the specific place you targeted is important for some builds/players/situations. Forcing shift behaviour without shift held removes the ability to have that control of positioning.

The issue right now is though that this doesn't really work with obstacles. Your char tries to run around them, not closer to them to dash over them. I assume path finding would get a bit odd if you would have to calculate the closest point from which a dash over a wall is possible.

It would actually be cool to allow players to activate "always shift"-Mode for certain slots in the skillbar. Similar to League of Legends Smartcast you can enable for certain abilities. This would ultimately improve control. Imagine using groundslam and accidently move your curser a bit too far, it will make your char move to reach that position and always holding shift can be very annoying. Would be a cool change if it is actually possible, even more so if it would work with skills that do not really have a direction like Leap Slam or Lightning Warp (I do not actually know how those behave if you press shift and click as far away from the char as possible). Would be nice if they could just be casted at max range.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
biyte wrote:

Shif click is not that bad, kinda used to it. But what's happenning with character stopping all the time while Flame Dash has zero charges? Should it work like that? I could swear that my character didn't stop on zero charges until today.
Last thing you want is your character beeing stuck in pack of monsters with zero charges - hero should run/follow the cursor untill the first charge will reload and not stop to perform nothing. Right now it's working like 'Hold' action from warcraft 3. Plus it is not logical to sto to cast something if you don't even have first charge of it.

These two little issues are a bit clunky and unreliable, but overall i lkie this skill.
When holding shift, you stop moving - that is what shift is for :P This has been happening since 2.0 was released.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
When holding shift, you stop moving - that is what shift is for :P This has been happening since 2.0 was released.
I'm not talking about shift click - right now character stops moving when Dash is out of charges. Activating 'Dash' with 0 charges repeatedly while moving looks like character dances some weird crippy version of dubstep =)

Edit: to better understand what i mean - take Discharge for example - when you have 0 charges your character won't stop when you press it, because there is nothing to cast(just tested it with Discharge). And in Flame Dash mechainc it seems like skill firstly tries to cast itself and only then performs check for available charges. Current machanic is counter-logical as for me =/
Last edited by DrakeDog on Jul 30, 2015, 6:06:38 PM
Can't seem to find the info anywhere:
does anyone know the damage radius of flame dash?
As far as the wiki tells me, LW has a radius of 16, would be nice to compare against it.
Also, is the damage only applied at end point or start point too?
Flame Dash is not an AoE like Lightning Warp, it deals Damage to anything you touch with the 'dash'. Essentially, anything that takes Damage from the fire field also takes direct Hit damage, is what I've observed. Could be that the hit is a bit wider? Not sure.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info