[2.2 Video Guide] Beginner's Build: Dual Flame Totem, Blood Magic Chieftain [Atziri & HC/SC Viable]

Hi all,

I have the Rain of Splinters Crimson Jewel (adds 2projetiles + xx reduced totem dmg) I was wondering if that is a good jewel to use for this build. If not why not?

I've been doing the BM build and have kind of plateaued at lvl 85 with about 15K dps on my totems. I'm not sure what to do next. I could keep grinding a few more levels, but I've had terrible luck with getting maps over level 71. Not sure what I can do to boost this build further. I've been considering changing it to a crit build. I did happen to find a pair of Maligaro's the other night, so that might help.

I've been looking into getting a Doryani's belt, but not sure how much of a boost I'll get from that. My jewelry is mostly for stat boost because I was having a hard time getting the necessary stats for some of the gems. Need to go back and see where I'm at with those now. Could probably do better on those.

Here's my current tree (I have 5 points available to spend):
Spoiler

https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwMB37CCEAelAuNJsiycEFiHZa-3MjQRLXyDp5ReXdH96-4c3I8aMtFFR8BmBLOiAPAfaPLhc5o7gpvtPNWm7Dg62CcvkFUaOFnzcg9xhXrmY_1G19q5sUIUcQ4837_bT-DDJbxmnljlwxNaK6Pyr2wLYcauEMwrtoxG-JM8LYNfg8y3Pv4K2L01krXybqpKyGSEBqD5vRkuJ-0GDtR8CfbZYa2Nz37E9lcN0iHyQYIH2XzxrCkufLgaPl8_FCDvDiynSsT2rnhpHwIEBw==

Here's my current gear:
Spoiler

"
edgrubermn wrote:
"
sixer wrote:
Hi all, level 69 Witch (Tempest), following the passive tree pretty much spot on.

I currently have a 5-link armour based plate and im thinking of swapping to mantle but im concerned i will start taking big hits. Is movement speed the main defence when using something like mantle?

Also I'm struggling with my dexterity requirements, any suggestions (assume gear is the only way)?

Well you will pick up quite a bit of ES with the mantle... that helps. Moving and having the totems attract the attention (and kills things fast) are the big ones.

If you need to don't be shy about taking a +30 dex node... you can always regret it once you get your gear sorted out such that you don't need it.

True, might get my Doryani first for the extra armour.

Good point, thanks!
"
Rusherboy wrote:

I'm defenetly going to try dual curse. Flammability and Temp Chains probably. Will test what is the best combo.

Here is a screenshot of stats in HO with only flame golem out :

Spoiler

You really should be running Fire Pen if you aren't already, it's specially important vs rares and bosses who have immense ele resists but with Fire Pen we go past that.

Hello, so i'm level 76 and have loved this build. What throws me a little is the discussion regarding fire pen along with your DPS. I'm not running a crit build (yet...) so i can understand some of our DPS difference here but i actually removed fire pen and saw a DPS jump.

In my hideout with only flame golem out i show 12348.52 (i'm assuming this is x2 for two totems).

If i swap fire pen in for iron will ( i have 356str ) i drop to 12015.1 dps (and this is with a +1 to fire pen). If i swap culling strike out for faster projectiles, i drop to 11944.48.

Spoiler

Is my gear preventing me from using the correct combinations or am i just.. doing something wrong? Do i need to start seeking crit gear? or would i see the same results with a crit based dual totem build?

Spoiler
"
drizuid wrote:
"
Rusherboy wrote:

I'm defenetly going to try dual curse. Flammability and Temp Chains probably. Will test what is the best combo.

Here is a screenshot of stats in HO with only flame golem out :

Spoiler

You really should be running Fire Pen if you aren't already, it's specially important vs rares and bosses who have immense ele resists but with Fire Pen we go past that.

Hello, so i'm level 76 and have loved this build. What throws me a little is the discussion regarding fire pen along with your DPS. I'm not running a crit build (yet...) so i can understand some of our DPS difference here but i actually removed fire pen and saw a DPS jump.

In my hideout with only flame golem out i show 12348.52 (i'm assuming this is x2 for two totems).

If i swap fire pen in for iron will ( i have 356str ) i drop to 12015.1 dps (and this is with a +1 to fire pen). If i swap culling strike out for faster projectiles, i drop to 11944.48.

Spoiler

Is my gear preventing me from using the correct combinations or am i just.. doing something wrong? Do i need to start seeking crit gear? or would i see the same results with a crit based dual totem build?

Spoiler

You NEED fire pen, this shouldn't be optional at all (Except if you go dark damage with consuming dark).
It will not increase your tooltips damage but it will make your real damage way better. A 12k dps with fire pen is better than a 20k dps without it. It's the same reason why some people prefer to have a 25k physical tooltip rather than a 50k elemental tooltip because once it pass a monster's resistance it end up doing better damage.

You should change your culling strike gem for a faster projectile one, it doesn't matter if you lose a little dps because the faster your projectile goes, the further they'll go.
Basically with faster projectile your totem will shoot fire way further than without it and your role is to be in the safest position possible at all time so that help incredibly for kitting.

Again and again, having a better tooltip dps doesn't mean it's better. Synergy is what is important.

"
BaggerX wrote:
I've been doing the BM build and have kind of plateaued at lvl 85 with about 15K dps on my totems. I'm not sure what to do next. I could keep grinding a few more levels, but I've had terrible luck with getting maps over level 71. Not sure what I can do to boost this build further. I've been considering changing it to a crit build. I did happen to find a pair of Maligaro's the other night, so that might help.

I've been looking into getting a Doryani's belt, but not sure how much of a boost I'll get from that. My jewelry is mostly for stat boost because I was having a hard time getting the necessary stats for some of the gems. Need to go back and see where I'm at with those now. Could probably do better on those.

Here's my current tree (I have 5 points available to spend):
Spoiler

https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwMB37CCEAelAuNJsiycEFiHZa-3MjQRLXyDp5ReXdH96-4c3I8aMtFFR8BmBLOiAPAfaPLhc5o7gpvtPNWm7Dg62CcvkFUaOFnzcg9xhXrmY_1G19q5sUIUcQ4837_bT-DDJbxmnljlwxNaK6Pyr2wLYcauEMwrtoxG-JM8LYNfg8y3Pv4K2L01krXybqpKyGSEBqD5vRkuJ-0GDtR8CfbZYa2Nz37E9lcN0iHyQYIH2XzxrCkufLgaPl8_FCDvDiynSsT2rnhpHwIEBw==

Here's my current gear:
Spoiler

I'm level 87 BM and right now in the process of switching from spell dmg/totem dmg/armor to crit / es (taking mrpetrov's tree as a template). All in all it'll cost me something above 60 regrets and a bit of survivability. Before I could literally tank mobs and bosses and just stand in between them and watch :D Now I have to dodge here and there and get out of the line of fire, BUT my tooltip dmg (and with this, my clearing speed) allmost tripled from around 7k (with fire pen and increased rarity) to 21k (still with fire pen and increased rarity)! :D Okay, I also changed some of my euqipment, so its not about the passive tree only, but I guess it helps quite a bit. At first I was using the suggested setup with 1 totem for dmg and 1 for culling, but I found myself only casting the culling MF totem anyway, so I ditched the second totem. If I should ever need more dmg I'll swap increased rarity with increased crit.

So I guess its well worth it, even though for leveling and getting started in a new league the original build did a great job.

The only stat I'm actually still struggling with is dex, for a long time I had the +30 Dex node, but I skilled out of it when equipping maligaros. Especially when switching to crit you'll get quite a few int nodes, but still keep the strenght nodes if you stay BM, so int won't be a problem anymore as well. This makes room for more *insert what you lack* stats, like rarity, res or crit.

As for Doryani's Belt, for me it is only around 1k more dmg, so I wonder myself if its worth it, but if you'd want to go all out dmg its probably the best option. The leech is also really disappointing in my opinion, so I might switch this out for a rare one.

In terms of maps, there often are groups with level >73 maps for free, just join them, or just pay this 1 chisel etc. for better maps, think about it, chiseling and rolling maps yourself would have cost you even more, let alone getting higher maps in the first place. And group play is more fun / saver ;)
Guys I need some help

I'm currently lvl 66 and the this build worked very well so far.
I started upgrading my gear and the following happened.

I was using this staff and got 5146,5 DPS with the Flame Totem

Then, I bought this staff and my DPS went to 4956,2

So what happened? Because, to my eyes, the Blight Call has every stat better than the Fate Beam, except that 8% increased cast speed.

Is cast speed that better?
IGN: Ignacius
For those of you struggling with Dex, try using a Fluid motion Viridian Jewel (Dex version) and stick it in the jewel slot just north of the BM notable passive.

That's what I do and, although it uses a jewel slot, it gives me c.80 (or is it c.70?) Dex for two passives and I don't need to wear any dex gear (apart from an onyx amulet) and I still have 130 Dex.

P.
"
GuilhermeHQ wrote:
Guys I need some help

I'm currently lvl 66 and the this build worked very well so far.
I started upgrading my gear and the following happened.

I was using this staff and got 5146,5 DPS with the Flame Totem

Then, I bought this staff and my DPS went to 4956,2

So what happened? Because, to my eyes, the Blight Call has every stat better than the Fate Beam, except that 8% increased cast speed.

Is cast speed that better?

Yes, the cast speed in combination with the flat fire damage to spells (which your second staff doesn't have - its flat fire damage boost is only for attacks) is better than the 66% spell damage +15% fire dmg.
Why not go CI for the crit version of totem build?
IGN: AlCohonez, GhengizCohen

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info