[2.2 Video Guide] Beginner's Build: Dual Flame Totem, Blood Magic Chieftain [Atziri & HC/SC Viable]

3.3 RF Trickster SSF HC guide :

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2147256
Last edited by Rusherboy on Aug 15, 2015, 4:20:55 PM
How does Immortal Flesh belt work instead?
"
Rusherboy wrote:

Rusherboy, thanks for sharing this. Initially I was quite sceptical of your claim, but the more I looked into it the more I wanted to test some ideas with you. But before we get into the key concept of ditching BM for mana, one specific observation: you could get dual curses for the cost of 4 (only 4!) passive points (including rerouting your resulting connections slightly). To me, that is a complete no brainer, BM or otherwise. Compare the added benefit of being able to run a second curse (defensive or offensive), there are no 4 passives available that can compare to that benefit, in my view.

Back to the main point: BM or mana?

I fiddled with your and my trees to bring them as close to each other as possible for % life, and also to include dual curses (which again, for me, is a no brainer). Then, we can compare them for dps.

So, compare a derivative of your mana-based totem crit/dual curse tree:

With my BM-based totem crit/dual curse adjusted tree:

The key differences are that the mana-based build (versus the BM-based build) has:
- 20 less flat life and 2% lower life (ie not much difference)
- 24% lower armour
- 0.8% more life regen
- 1% less capped fire res
- 9% higher cast speed
- 20% higher totem damage
- 20% lower crit strike chance
- 36% lower crit multi
- 1 less jewel socket

So, all in all, the builds are fairly similar - BM or mana, but whether you choose one or the other there is a DPS tradeoff: which is better, 9% faster cast and 20% increased totem damage (mana); or 20% crit chance, 36% crit multi and an extra jewel socket (BM)?

P.

Last edited by mrpetrov on Aug 16, 2015, 1:14:13 AM
How can i get some MF with this build?
IIR gem already in gear.
Is there some cheap uniques with MF?
"
mrpetrov wrote:
"
Rusherboy wrote:

Rusherboy, thanks for sharing this. Initially I was quite sceptical of your claim, but the more I looked into it the more I wanted to test some ideas with you. But before we get into the key concept of ditching BM for mana, one specific observation: you could get dual curses for the cost of 4 (only 4!) passive points (including rerouting your resulting connections slightly). To me, that is a complete no brainer, BM or otherwise. Compare the added benefit of being able to run a second curse (defensive or offensive), there are no 4 passives available that can compare to that benefit, in my view.

Back to the main point: BM or mana?

I fiddled with your and my trees to bring them as close to each other as possible for % life, and also to include dual curses (which again, for me, is a no brainer). Then, we can compare them for dps.

So, compare a derivative of your mana-based totem crit/dual curse tree:

With my BM-based totem crit/dual curse adjusted tree:

The key differences are that the mana-based build (versus the BM-based build) has:
- 20 less flat life and 2% lower life (ie not much difference)
- 24% lower armour
- 0.8% more life regen
- 1% less capped fire res
- 9% higher cast speed
- 20% higher totem damage
- 20% lower crit strike chance
- 36% lower crit multi
- 1 less jewel socket

So, all in all, the builds are fairly similar - BM or mana, but whether you choose one or the other there is a DPS tradeoff: which is better, 9% faster cast and 20% increased totem damage (mana); or 20% crit chance, 36% crit multi and an extra jewel socket (BM)?

P.

Dual curse is a no brainer for those who have time to cast 2 curses :)

It would be good against bosses, thats true. Currently I run Flammability and hardly have time to cast it due to either mobs dying too fast or in case of bosses, re-casting the totems while running around.

I might re-spec and try it out.

One more thing you gain by speccing out of BM is the need for armor items. You can go pure caster items with alot of ES (I have 4k HP and 2,5k ES). I also have 51k tooltip dps each totem in hideout. I only have a 5-link and one of the slots is Fire Pen so my tooltip dps is only from 4-link.

I play self-found so my items are by far not BiS so there is alot of room for improvement on my gear.

IMO this is the best build for Flame Totems (Not my exact build, but the concept rather). When you are doing 50k+ dps per totem, even bosses go down very quicky wich in itself, is the best defense.

This is the first character I have that can do deathless Atziri runs in self-found gear.

"
ka3map_nyasha wrote:
IIR gem already in gear.

Start with a setup like this :

Spoiler
Main dps Totem :

Culling Totem

"
Rusherboy wrote:
"
ka3map_nyasha wrote:
IIR gem already in gear.

Start with a setup like this :

Spoiler
Main dps Totem :

Culling Totem

It's not possible to get quantity gem on Tempest
Hi,

I was wondering how you were handling the mobs such as these large worms firing projectiles and creating offsprings ? Everytime I encounter them I have to run away and if I encounter them in higher level maps (74+) I simply die...

Do I have to stack a loft of chaos resistance ?

Thanks
My stream: https://www.twitch.tv/m_bison__
"
Rusherboy wrote:

Dual curse is a no brainer for those who have time to cast 2 curses :)

It would be good against bosses, thats true. Currently I run Flammability and hardly have time to cast it due to either mobs dying too fast or in case of bosses, re-casting the totems while running around.

I might re-spec and try it out.

One more thing you gain by speccing out of BM is the need for armor items. You can go pure caster items with alot of ES (I have 4k HP and 2,5k ES). I also have 51k tooltip dps each totem in hideout. I only have a 5-link and one of the slots is Fire Pen so my tooltip dps is only from 4-link.

I play self-found so my items are by far not BiS so there is alot of room for improvement on my gear.

IMO this is the best build for Flame Totems (Not my exact build, but the concept rather). When you are doing 50k+ dps per totem, even bosses go down very quicky wich in itself, is the best defense.

This is the first character I have that can do deathless Atziri runs in self-found gear.

With the amount of cast speed we have, the second curse takes less than 0.1s (anbd prob less than 0.05s) - it's immaterial cast time. You should be having well in excess of 10 casts / sec with your build.

Also, if you're playing in maps over level 80, then you'll know rares/uniques/bosses dont die immediately - and thats when dual curse is amazing. For trash it's pointless, as you say, even for solo maps >80. But bosses (etc) is why we stack dps, not for trash.:)

Can you link your gear and screenshot the 51k dps totem (5l with fire pen) in ho along with 4.0k life/2.5k ES? I struggle to reconcile that with my build comparison above...? (my totems to a little over 70k solo but thats with 4 pc's/6L and no fire pen). I run 4.9k life and 1.7k ES.

P.
Last edited by mrpetrov on Aug 16, 2015, 2:28:22 PM
Last edited by Gulerd on Aug 16, 2015, 2:49:27 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info