(3.2) [Lighty] 2H RT Cyclone: Dope for Beast League & Lab™

"
sutasafaia wrote:
Sorry, about to ask a lot of questions. I love cyclone, I want to play cyclone, so...yea :)

What is your opinion on doing this setup with a trickster for the free cyclone?

I'm sure it's possible, but not really necessary considering how easy it is to use a Blood Magic gem, or use a Blood Magic weapon to retain the same amount of links. Running Cyclone off mana isn't even that difficult now, since melee skills don't have their mana costs increase with level anymore; there's a section in the guide that covers this.

"
Also, would you consider this setup to be T15/uber (just typing T15U to be easier now) viable? I love cyclone but every T15U setup seems to be CoC, and I honestly despise crit builds. I prefer solid, reliable damage while being as immortal as possible.

Tier 15, yes; Uber, no (theoretically maybe, but not practically).

This isn't so much a matter of raw damage, as one of burst and survivability. Atziri demands range and/or exact timing of mechanics, which is why normal is run with Enduring Cry rather than Warlords Mark, and it just isn't very practical for this, or most melee, builds.

"
You have several classes listed as "best" for SC and/or HC, does it come down to personal preference or do you actually have a general order as to which you think would be best? Particularly for clearing T15U. I see you have them as top to bottom, best to worst, just wondering if you're opinion has changed since prophecy, and of course whether or not trickster could fit in there.

Practical value, but there are some updates for this latest patch which may not be present on the main page. See this writeup: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lW_b0QSXmywsREwOSq6Z-6MrkEidzZByWo4iJZ5bFhA/edit

"
I know there are tons of builds out there that can do T15U, some cheaper than others, heck BF Poison Trapper requires virtually nothing to get steam rolling except to get through normal difficulty to get all your gems, but I would love some alternatives, especially stuff like cyclone. I tried Blade Vortex and it's fun for a while but having to constantly re-apply stacks, especially having to stand still to do it...ugh. Was considering shield charge also but, again, I don't want to play CoC and that seems to be the only build I ever see around, ever. The only discouraging thing is watching builds like the trapper literally 1-shot atziri and entire packs of mobs in T15, then coming to check on builds that aren't broken and wondering why you're not just playing the broken build. I'm a min/maxer at heart so pulling myself away from things like BF poison trapper isn't easy, but I want to try.

Along with the above, this can get through T15 easily and relatively cheaply (no high cost unique required), but I wouldn't bother trying for Uber Atziri - even regular Atziri can be annoyingly difficult due to mechanics, though it can be overpowered.

"
How do you generally deal with things like loot ghosts as a melee character, and to a lesser extent, Elreon missions? This is a more general question about melee than the build itself, but it comes up in my own play a lot. Sometimes you just seem to lack the mobility to bring down the ghosts, and sometimes you just can't get to all the packs that the elreon portals spawn before your relic goes down.

Cyclone is a movement ability and we prioritize movespeed enough that it should not be an issue. Leap Slam is a good supplementary ability if you have the links for it.
Last edited by Archimtiros on Jun 9, 2016, 8:30:24 PM
Have had a ton of fun with this build, but am feeling that I've hit the limit of my knowledge/am now having to learn more about the game to progress. I've only been playing PoE this past three weeks so far, but love it.

I am looking for help on how I should proceed to upgrade my gear/what I'm doing wrong/missing.
I am able to clear "some" T10-T11 maps if they're Blue - but have issues with even level 8-9 maps with too many affixes.

I know my gear is suboptimal but am at a loss for the best pieces to replace/keep at resist cap while improving - And I feel my skill choices/gems are not correct.
"
poopsmith wrote:
Have had a ton of fun with this build, but am feeling that I've hit the limit of my knowledge/am now having to learn more about the game to progress. I've only been playing PoE this past three weeks so far, but love it.

I am looking for help on how I should proceed to upgrade my gear/what I'm doing wrong/missing.
I am able to clear "some" T10-T11 maps if they're Blue - but have issues with even level 8-9 maps with too many affixes.

I know my gear is suboptimal but am at a loss for the best pieces to replace/keep at resist cap while improving - And I feel my skill choices/gems are not correct.

The guide should be able to give you some guidance on what to look for in stats - try the "Required Gear", "Helpful Uniques", and "My Gear" sections, but from looking at your gear at a glance...

* Drop Ventors - Rarity is nice but rings are a prime slot for resists and you're wasting this one. At it's core, this is not a MF build, so this should only be used if everything else is perfect and can get along without the slot.

* Helm - It's not bad but not great, the base is very low which results in low armor/evasion and stats are eating a lot of its stats. I suggest taking the 30 Dex/30 Int nodes if you have trouble getting enough Dex/Int naturally rather than actively gearing for it (to clarify, it's fine to have it on a piece of gear, but I wouldn't take both on one, as you're sacrificing room for other stats at that point, better to spread them out).

* Gloves - Similarly low base, and I am willing to bet physical damage wrecks you due to lack of armor (notable with Izaro). Two wasted stats taking up room you could have better resists in.

* Boots - Low base (seeing a trend?), though only one wasted stat (which isn't uncommon, don't think you have to have perfect items unless you're willing to shell out a lot of money for them).

* Chest - 6L is carrying you, so I wouldn't recommend replacing it, but again we've got a low base. Remember that the lower the base ilvl the worse stat rolls are going to be.

* Neck - is pretty meh. You're spending a lot of item budget on primary stats and it's hurting you.

* Belt - actually not bad, but I'd look for something with a better base - ES does nothing for you, ideally you want a Heavy or Rustic. Flask charge mods are great too.

Flasks - You should be at the point where you don't need to spam life flasks all the time, so step up your game.

Ditch Sorrow for an Atziri's, lose the Chemists for a Granite or Basalt, put another mod on your Anti-Bleed (use a Hollowed or Eternal base), and replace Hallowed for a Amethyst/Granite/Basalt/Quicksilver/Bismuth/Sibnite 'of Heat' mod or Rumi's/Taste of Hate if you can afford them, and finally reroll your Quicksilver to increase movespeed/increase charges/reduce consumption/etc to make the most of it's effect. There's a section in the guide about this as well.

Passives - I only gave a quick glance, but going forward you should prioritize health over damage; you have a 6L which will carry DPS, but you're lacking a lot of defense on gear.

Regarding your Ascendancy, I would have prioritized First to Strike, Last to Fall over Inspirational if you're playing solo, but it's not a huge difference. If you don't think you'll complete the Uber Lab anytime soon, it might be worth respeccing, but don't break your bank over it.

Gems & Links look alright overall, but you could improve as you shuffle around gear. I find that Golems tend to die too often to be worthwhile in maps, but you have enough free space to link some supports to it if you want. You probably aren't going to replace Hezmana, so work on 5-6L it so that you can replace that chest faster.

Most importantly your 6L needs cleaning up - Fortify is redundant as a Champion, replace it ASAP, and LGOH probably isn't giving you as much survivability as you'd think (maybe, due to your lack of armor, but certainly not once you improve your defenses). It's "ok" as a 6th link, but you should be getting plenty of Leech form Blood Rage, so drop it for a couple maps and see how it feels. There's a gem section in the guide for reference, but the setup you should be looking at is:
Cyclone - Melee Phys - Added Fire - Weapon Ele - Faster Attacks - LGOH/Inc AoE/Conc Effect/etc.

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions, but you've reached the point in the game where self-found is difficult to maintain; start hitting the shops and see what deals you can find. Well rolled rares tend to be very expensive, but you can get lucky, and there is nothing wrong with incrementally upgrading your gear as long as you maintain your links (another reason aim for 5-6L your weapon). Focus on Resists first, Life second, Armor third and Damage last. There are also some very good uniques such as Devoto's, Kaoms, and Lightning Coil which are great for this build.
Last edited by Archimtiros on Jun 10, 2016, 12:44:12 AM
Is there a 1h+Shield variant of this build or would that detract from its strengths? I ask because people have told me that 1h+Shield tends to be safer for HC.
"
gundamzphyr7 wrote:
Is there a 1h+Shield variant of this build or would that detract from its strengths? I ask because people have told me that 1h+Shield tends to be safer for HC.

Not really. It's doable, but not really competitive in the sense that you lose a significant amount of damage and weapon range, thereby losing clearspeed.

As far as survivability, yes, strictly speaking you will gain survivability by using a shield, but the tradeoff in damage isn't worth it. Remember that PoE is about balance, using a shield may give you some extra defense in the form of additional Armor and Block, but you'll need significantly more damage stats to make up for it. Conversely, a 2h may offer less defense, but it allows for better offensive capability; with it you can focus on defensive stats more so than offensive ones.

The more important part is Cyclone itself. Without going into too much detail, it's simply better with a larger weapon range, which is the primary reason 2h weapons are favored over 1h or dual-wielding. Obviously this means that it's less tanky, but killing faster = getting hit less. Also, keep in mind that a Shield by itself isn't all that useful without investing in Block and/or Spell Block to really make it shine.
Fair enough. I kind of figured that would be the case.

I'll just have to be smart about picking fights.

Thanks for the build!
"
Archimtiros wrote:
"
poopsmith wrote:

The guide should be able to give you some guidance on what to look for in stats - try the "Required Gear", "Helpful Uniques", and "My Gear" sections, but from looking at your gear at a glance...

* Drop Ventors - Rarity is nice but rings are a prime slot for resists and you're wasting this one. At it's core, this is not a MF build, so this should only be used if everything else is perfect and can get along without the slot.

* Helm - It's not bad but not great, the base is very low which results in low armor/evasion and stats are eating a lot of its stats. I suggest taking the 30 Dex/30 Int nodes if you have trouble getting enough Dex/Int naturally rather than actively gearing for it (to clarify, it's fine to have it on a piece of gear, but I wouldn't take both on one, as you're sacrificing room for other stats at that point, better to spread them out).

* Gloves - Similarly low base, and I am willing to bet physical damage wrecks you due to lack of armor (notable with Izaro). Two wasted stats taking up room you could have better resists in.

* Boots - Low base (seeing a trend?), though only one wasted stat (which isn't uncommon, don't think you have to have perfect items unless you're willing to shell out a lot of money for them).

* Chest - 6L is carrying you, so I wouldn't recommend replacing it, but again we've got a low base. Remember that the lower the base ilvl the worse stat rolls are going to be.

* Neck - is pretty meh. You're spending a lot of item budget on primary stats and it's hurting you.

* Belt - actually not bad, but I'd look for something with a better base - ES does nothing for you, ideally you want a Heavy or Rustic. Flask charge mods are great too.

Flasks - You should be at the point where you don't need to spam life flasks all the time, so step up your game.

Ditch Sorrow for an Atziri's, lose the Chemists for a Granite or Basalt, put another mod on your Anti-Bleed (use a Hollowed or Eternal base), and replace Hallowed for a Amethyst/Granite/Basalt/Quicksilver/Bismuth/Sibnite 'of Heat' mod or Rumi's/Taste of Hate if you can afford them, and finally reroll your Quicksilver to increase movespeed/increase charges/reduce consumption/etc to make the most of it's effect. There's a section in the guide about this as well.

Passives - I only gave a quick glance, but going forward you should prioritize health over damage; you have a 6L which will carry DPS, but you're lacking a lot of defense on gear.

Regarding your Ascendancy, I would have prioritized First to Strike, Last to Fall over Inspirational if you're playing solo, but it's not a huge difference. If you don't think you'll complete the Uber Lab anytime soon, it might be worth respeccing, but don't break your bank over it.

Gems & Links look alright overall, but you could improve as you shuffle around gear. I find that Golems tend to die too often to be worthwhile in maps, but you have enough free space to link some supports to it if you want. You probably aren't going to replace Hezmana, so work on 5-6L it so that you can replace that chest faster.

Most importantly your 6L needs cleaning up - Fortify is redundant as a Champion, replace it ASAP, and LGOH probably isn't giving you as much survivability as you'd think (maybe, due to your lack of armor, but certainly not once you improve your defenses). It's "ok" as a 6th link, but you should be getting plenty of Leech form Blood Rage, so drop it for a couple maps and see how it feels. There's a gem section in the guide for reference, but the setup you should be looking at is:
Cyclone - Melee Phys - Added Fire - Weapon Ele - Faster Attacks - LGOH/Inc AoE/Conc Effect/etc.

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions, but you've reached the point in the game where self-found is difficult to maintain; start hitting the shops and see what deals you can find. Well rolled rares tend to be very expensive, but you can get lucky, and there is nothing wrong with incrementally upgrading your gear as long as you maintain your links (another reason aim for 5-6L your weapon). Focus on Resists first, Life second, Armor third and Damage last. There are also some very good uniques such as Devoto's, Kaoms, and Lightning Coil which are great for this build.

Thank you for the detailed breakdown - I took your advice to heart and started reworking my gear, while I am still a little to Primary Stat Heavy, I've opened up a Ring/Kneck slot to start looking for a "great" itemization piece while I save up to 5 link the weapon and then inevitably replace the chest.

If it's not too cumbersome can you take another glance and let me know if it looks like I'm heading in the right direction?

Again, greatly appreciate the feedback and your time!
"
poopsmith wrote:

Thank you for the detailed breakdown - I took your advice to heart and started reworking my gear, while I am still a little to Primary Stat Heavy, I've opened up a Ring/Kneck slot to start looking for a "great" itemization piece while I save up to 5 link the weapon and then inevitably replace the chest.

If it's not too cumbersome can you take another glance and let me know if it looks like I'm heading in the right direction?

Again, greatly appreciate the feedback and your time!

Looks a lot better, and I bet you're feeling it in performance as well. You still need to adjust your flasks and rings/neck though, and you're spending a lot of mods on Dex/Int. I didn't add up the totals, but it feels like you have more than necessary.
"
Archimtiros wrote:

Looks a lot better, and I bet you're feeling it in performance as well. You still need to adjust your flasks and rings/neck though, and you're spending a lot of mods on Dex/Int. I didn't add up the totals, but it feels like you have more than necessary.

Awesome.
Thank you - Yeah, I have to farm more Chaos to finish fixing.
I'm 23 Dex and like 30 Int over the max Req. for the gems at 20 - Which in the scheme of total balance for my gear and what some of it cost seems pretty reasonable - much less wasted stats total on my gear. The focus is going to be fixing flasks and replacing my foe knot ring with a all attributes based one and then all good stats after that, dropping the excess Primary stat bloat then replace the neck with an ideal one - all the while trying to 5L the Axe so I can replace my chest.

Doubled my armour to 7.2k and brought life up from 4.5 to 5.2k, and the next 4 levels are all %life nodes so feeling like I'm back on track/getting better!
I'm currently running this build and reached Lvl 87, but I kinda start to struggle now.
Exp/hr is very low and my damage was always a little low and it seems like I'm not really able to boost it without loosing alot of survivability.

I run T5-T6 maps without "much" trouble, but that maps seem kinda lowlevel for me.. And the clearspeed is beyond acceptable.. even though I trippled my dps today (Because of my excellent drop luck *cough* I'm not even able to sustain T6 maps an didn't drop higher maps to try out yet... but that's another story)

So, is there anything I oversee that would greatly improve my dps/survivability?
At the moment I'm trying to get maxres withouth purity of elements so I can switch out the aura for another dmg aura.

Thanks!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info