(3.2) [Lighty] 2H RT Cyclone: Dope for Beast League & Lab™

Archimitros, thanks for your prompt reply about the crit version. I would love to make a build around Doomsower, as that was my diamond supporter unique, as designed by my buddy victordoom! Victordoom was always looking for more 2h love from ggg, so maybe this is where it can shine!

Absent blood magic, is mana leech gem going to be necessary for a super high ias crit cyclone build?
Last edited by mrpetrov on May 31, 2016, 10:28:23 AM

I highly suggest you read the link below for insight into Cyclone in 2.3

2.3 Cyclone Thoughts Written by our resident trusted forum moderator Archimtiros

LightyGaming.com
Last edited by Lighty on May 31, 2016, 3:05:57 PM
"
mrpetrov wrote:
Archimitros, thanks for your prompt reply about the crit version. I would love to make a build around Doomsower, as that was my diamond supporter unique, as designed by my buddy victordoom! Victordoom was always looking for more 2h love from ggg, so maybe this is where it can shine!

Absent blood magic, is mana leech gem going to be necessary for a super high ias crit cyclone build?

Ah, well thank you very much for your support of the game, and thank VictorDoom for his great design.

Doomsower is a decent choice for Cyclone; the attack speed makes it strong in terms of raw DPS and the increased AoE is useful. Unfortunately the main thing holding it back is that Cyclone doesn't benefit from the Extra Fire Damage, as Cyclone is not a red gem (only the attack's color matters), though I really wish they'd change it to melee gems.

That's kind of where it falls short though. While the increased AoE is nice, it's not nearly as strong as the free link that Blood Magic provides. It doesn't even compete with the increased AoE gem (15% v 20-39%), although the two effects would stack, or completely make up for the disadvantage imposed by Concentrated Effect (25% less). Ultimately the free link is simply worth more.

I'm not exactly sure yet where Hiltless comes in yet. It's weaker than Doomsower and lacks the attack speed, but it's increased weapon range is actually slightly better than Doomsower's increased AoE*.
* Starting with Two-handed Swords base range of 6, +2 for Master of the Arena = 8 * 1.15 for Doomsower's AoE = 9.2 + 2 character size for a total range of 11.2 (I believe this is rounded down to 11).
* On the other hand, Hiltless would have a range of 6+2+2= 10 + 2 = 12.

Lastly, Hiltless provides 2.5% increased chance to Crit and a free link from Blood Magic, which Doomsower has no response to. Regarding Blood Magic, since fixed mana costs in 2.1.0, you can get away with running Cyclone off mana quite easily without investing much in leech, however this will require you to drop a Arctic Armor or use one of the aura reservation-reducing helmet enchants from the Labyrinth, since we normally reserve 100%. While definitely an option, I don't think it's worth doing.

TLDR: For Cyclone Doomsower is decent, but I'd rank it below Hiltless and Hezmana, though it's a decent choice if you don't have access to either.
Last edited by Archimtiros on May 31, 2016, 5:40:41 PM
"
Archimtiros wrote:
"
mrpetrov wrote:

Ah, well thank you very much for your support of the game, and thank VictorDoom for his great design.

Doomsower is a decent choice for Cyclone; the attack speed makes it strong in terms of raw DPS and the increased AoE is useful. Unfortunately the main thing holding it back is that Cyclone doesn't benefit from the Extra Fire Damage, as Cyclone is not a red gem (only the attack's color matters), though I really wish they'd change it to melee gems.

That's kind of where it falls short though. While the increased AoE is nice, it's not nearly as strong as the free link that Blood Magic provides. It doesn't even compete with the increased AoE gem (15% v 20-39%), although the two effects would stack, or completely make up for the disadvantage imposed by Concentrated Effect (25% less). Ultimately the free link is simply worth more.

I'm not exactly sure yet where Hiltless comes in yet. It's weaker than Doomsower and lacks the attack speed, but it's increased weapon range is actually slightly better than Doomsower's increased AoE*.
* Starting with Two-handed Swords base range of 6, +2 for Master of the Arena = 8 * 1.15 for Doomsower's AoE = 9.2 + 2 character size for a total range of 11.2 (I believe this is rounded down to 11).
* On the other hand, Hiltless would have a range of 6+2+2= 10 + 2 = 12.

Lastly, Hiltless provides 2.5% increased chance to Crit and a free link from Blood Magic, which Doomsower has no response to. Regarding Blood Magic, since fixed mana costs in 2.1.0, you can get away with running Cyclone off mana quite easily without investing much in leech, however this will require you to drop a Arctic Armor or use one of the aura reservation-reducing helmet enchants from the Labyrinth, since we normally reserve 100%. While definitely an option, I don't think it's worth doing.

TLDR: For Cyclone Doomsower is decent, but I'd rank it below Hiltless and Hezmana, though it's a decent choice if you don't have access to either.

Added a crit cyclone - staff/sword section to the guide. Its in its infancy but will be updated more over the next few days leading up to the release of patch notes.
LightyGaming.com
Hi Lighty, wondering which class and ascendancy youll be recommending for the upcoming prophecy league? Really keen on trying out this build for hardcore. Thanks in advance
"
OnyxDaMan wrote:
Hi Lighty, wondering which class and ascendancy youll be recommending for the upcoming prophecy league? Really keen on trying out this build for hardcore. Thanks in advance

I would still recommend Champion. Despite the fortify effect nerf and the lackluster 7-8th points from the end game lab is still the most constant and tanky.
LightyGaming.com
"
Lighty wrote:
"
OnyxDaMan wrote:

I would still recommend Champion. Despite the fortify effect nerf and the lackluster 7-8th points from the end game lab is still the most constant and tanky.

Alright, thank you very much~
"
OnyxDaMan wrote:
"
Lighty wrote:
"
OnyxDaMan wrote:

Alright, thank you very much~

Piggybacking on this, Champion is definitely the most consistent Ascendancy with a good mix of damage, defense and mobility. The free gem especially provides a large damage increase, especially while leveling. However, Slayer and Juggernaut are also pretty strong contenders depending on how you play.

Juggernaut is probably the strongest defensively, with potential for permanent Immortal Call and max Endurance Charges, but it's much weaker offensively than the other choices (sans Crit build).

Slayer provides a lot of extra damage, increased AoE, 20% culling, semi-permanent Onslaught, excessive amounts of leech and Bleed immunity; all of which are great for Cyclone, but it's predicated on moving and killing quickly. If you're into speed farming, it's probably the way to go.

Berserker is the only one I would actively avoid for Hardcore. While it can certainly be played to great effect due to the large damage bonuses and Savage Hit leech, it's a gamble, as the increased damage taken makes it more dangerous to play.
re: Juggernaut

Apparently Undeniable has been nerfed down to 1% IAS per 200 Accuracy down from 100*. Still, it's quite strong, just not insanely ridiculous and I think a Crit Cyclone build could work out quite well with it.

Ideally, I think Daresso's Defiance would work perfectly with the build, ensuring effectively 100% uptime on Endurance Charges and by extension semi-permanent Immortal Call and Onslaught as well as eliminating the need for Warlord's Mark, opening the door for another curse such as Assassin's Mark or Vulnerability.

After that, Abyssus for extra damage, as it's main drawback should be nullified by Immortal Call, and maybe Hinekora's Sight for extra accuracy and anti-Blind. I'm torn on using unique crit gloves or the prophecy ones; while the bonuses are definitely strong, the build is already using a number of uniques, so it may start to struggle with stats.

Still not sure exactly how it would compare against the top three (Champion/Slayer/Berserker), but I really like the strong synergy it creates.

*No other changes to our Ascendancies from what I've seen.
Last edited by Archimtiros on Jun 2, 2016, 3:13:29 AM
Thanks for making such an awesome guide.
I just started playing PoE as of two weeks ago after finding a good beginners guide for Arc Witch.
With Prophecy coming I wanted to try something new, so thank you for the awesome guide as I'll be playing it in the prophecy league!

That said, your formatting is really hard as a newer player to keep track of (OR at least myself.)
To prevent myself from having to look up each gem location/build info/etc as I leveled I made myself a simple infographic to "get started" on hitting the 70s in the new league.

I don't know if you or anyone else would have any use for it but just in case:
Spoiler

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info