Map Drops in The Awakening

I reserve judgement of this until I see it in action. However, having them drop more items when most items are garbage just means more garbage, doesn't it? So therefore, wouldn't it still entice players to continue to kill hordes of easier monsters, instead?

Personally, I prefer the challenge but unless the +2 map drop is substantially likely to happen, I don't see how it'll suddenly become rewarding to risk death against bosses. I'd love if that were the case though. Very risky and powerful bosses for a very good reward.

Also, while you are adjusting mods. Remove Temp Chains replace it with anything else. It can be something like "Every mob explodes into 5 Atziris" as long as it isn't Temp Chains.
"Danger is like jello, there's always room for more."
http://www.twitch.tv/vejita00
Last edited by CliveHowlitzer on Jun 8, 2015, 11:06:04 PM
"
Serleth wrote:
"
BlazedAs wrote:
very little trading going on

You're kidding, right? I've made and spent easily 30ex in beta.

You must like staring at trade chat. Most people don't.
God_of_Thieves_LLD_PVP__I hate the Labyrinth
"
Antnee wrote:
While I agree with incentivizing boss kills in maps, the rest of this is horribly demotivating.

...and I mean that. Horribly demotivating.

I play solo, because I utterly despise the hyperspeed epilepsy that is grouping. I can sustain maps, but I'm not chaining 78s all day, and I certainly don't play them unless they are ridiculously modded (talking 100% IIQ and up).

I am doing it right, by any reasonable definition. I spend shittons of currency to roll dangerous, yet lucrative maps. Risk. Reward.

Are you saying that soloing through maps is so offensive that it can't be allowed to happen? I genuinely do not understand, Chris, why you feel the need to push the multiplayer angle so hard. It almost feels like you're being insecure; that the game can't possibly be good enough to enjoy solo. It fucking is.

Mapping is my favorite part of the game, and yet I'm about to be cut off from any meaningful progression unless I play the game in a way that I patently do not enjoy. I want to climb-- by myself-- as I always have.

Please do not forget that there are solo players. We are here, we are here, we are here!

Exactly how I feel. This is not a good change for solo players. I've experienced the high tier group play and it's definitely not my taste, what GGG is creating is just a bigger time sink. Better like act 4 cause I'm pretty sure that's where we are going to get stuck. I just don't get how getting stuck in low level maps (i.e anything under 75) is a fun or rewarding experience, I must not be hardcore enough or something.

Kinda bummed about that change. I already was not enjoying how sustaining map pools in live is, but now this makes me reconsider pushing any of my characters past 90.

I'll be holding out before supporting the game more for the moment until I play the content and experience the changes, but it doesn't look good from here.
Last edited by Humble_Canadian on Jun 8, 2015, 11:35:26 PM
"
Chris wrote:

While there are several mapping groups in Beta happily sustaining the highest tiers of maps, it took them a lot more effort to get there than it normally does. We want to bring this experience to more players.

I can't talk for all of them, but I've never made it past 90 before and I'm now 93, so this is my best and easiest run so far (on SC).

But I also noticed that the majority of the ladder has been inactive for a week and more. Those people would have probably made it to 95+ easily given how fast they got to their current levels.

Won't lv 79-81 maps make it easier to reach level 100? (Those people are usually able to afford those from other players)
There is fun difficulty and frustrating difficulty. One is good one is bad.

Fun difficulty is overcoming difficult content. Running maps far below the ability of your character with the hope of gaining access to fun content is frustrating difficulty.

Players should be gated by difficult challenges, not bottlenecked by RNG.

And Chris, you said "GROUPS" were able to sustain the new drop rate of map pools. What about solo / self found players? How many rows of non-challenging low level maps will solo players have to grind to have one high level map? That is not an interesting challenge. Not by a long shot.

Players who are unwilling or unable to party up are getting a lesser experience for playing the same game. This is by choice! That is your intentional game design.

Chris it's almost as if you are at war with the richest of the elite players who are able to amass a ridiculous map pool. But guess who is going to get hit the hardest by this? The solo and casual players.
Last edited by FUZZB0X on Jun 8, 2015, 11:40:58 PM

I've been concerned lately with the "rumors" regarding map nerfing being permanent, especially considering mapping and building chars to do mapping is (mostly) the reason I enjoy this game.

Unfortunately, as a solo player it looks like GGG is trying to push me away with these changes.
Grouping is already so much easier and far cheaper, and now they've made it more rewarding as well.

I was hoping for a solo fix to equalize things but it seems they've decided to remove the end game for solo gamers. I don't want to lvl chars up to 70 and then get stuck running 60 and low 70 maps for the rest of the time. How boring. Wow.

I'm going to wait and see how things are implemented. Maybe it's not as bad as it seems. Sad face. Time will tell if it's time to move on.

Last edited by yazzlecat on Jun 9, 2015, 4:30:25 AM
Really like this change. Progressing to higher map tiers used to feel much more challenging and rewarding around a year ago.
"
FUZZB0X wrote:
There is fun difficulty and frustrating difficulty. One is good one is bad.

Fun difficulty is overcoming difficult content. Running maps far below the ability of your character with the hope of gaining access to fun content is frustrating difficulty.

Players should be gated by difficult challenges, not bottlenecked by RNG.

This. I'll be honest, I think I've just about played out what I can get out of PoE. And that's entirely because the only level appropriate content in the entire game for end game characters is gated behind RNG and typically requires that I actively gimp my play experience with annoying mods just for the slightest chance to continue playing.

Sorry, but @#$! that. If the only reward for mapping is the vague hope that maybe it's technically possible to play content I haven't totally out leveled, I'll probably continue playing one character every expansion and then just drifting out of the game until the next one hits.

Frankly, I hate maps. It's a stupid system that offers zero sense of progression, because if you've got a character good enough to do them in the first place that character gains basically nothing of note in the process of completing them.
Last edited by C0Y0T3_SLY on Jun 8, 2015, 11:56:16 PM
So solo players once again reinforced as second class citizens forever forced to be the base in the pyramid scheme that is league economy. Meanwhile uber atziri farmers will be able to even more easily corner the market on maps. Meh why do I even bother and why did I even buy this latest supporter pack?
There are some pretty massive potential pitfalls associated with gating map progression behind bosses. Hopefully the modified bosses are more Vaal Oversoul-like challenge where you can get the kill without being touched if you know his patterns, and less like the Crematorium boss, which is nothing more than insane levels of damage that can only be safely done with 90+ resist and 5k health.

Think of it this way:

You progress to higher map levels because you get more experience that way.

Fighting dangerous bosses where you have a real chance of dying slows down leveling because of the xp penalty.

So if you're trying to level and all bosses are super rippy, you're better off skipping them altogether.

Net result, nobody chooses to fight the bosses. Just like now, except in this case there are fewer bosses that are safe bets.
IGN: Ikimashouka, Tsukiyattekudasai, DontCallMeMrFroyo

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info