(Suggestion) Map Shards: improve your endgame mapping

How many "great idea"s does a suggestion like this need before its implemented???

Well, here's +1,000 more. :)
I want to thank you all for your responses! I personally don't like awkwardly re-bumping my posts through double posting, after my years on the internet, its just something I have stayed away from. It really is great to see people liking the idea! I do think the thread loses a bit of interest due to the name "Map Shards", much like Shinare mentioned on their first post on the thread. "Shards" in this game may naturally be perceived to be a tiny fraction of cheap currency. Maybe thinking of a new type would help.

If anyone here has any ideas for that, an idea for base map types that I can mock up,ideas to make the thread more readable, anything at all, we could really flesh out this suggestion. We players know what we want from a game. If we can shy away from the suggestion threads that contain a few lines of "Do this GGG" and instead say "GGG, here is our idea for your game! This is everything", it would certainly help them if they ever did think that we are onto something (Although I'm not expecting anything).

To be honest, I am quite enjoying just fleshing this idea out, even if it is forever restricted to my own mind.

(I really want to try an unidentified Rare map combined with an anarchy, tenacity and evolution shard... The difficulty on those maps could be absolutely ridiculous)

EDIT: I also tried my hands at mocking up some item icons. My Photoshop is pretty abysmal though but I tried going for map shards that have precious gemstones or metals 'powering' them. Gold for wealth shards, Sapphires for Knowledge, Rubies for Tenacity (Or something else, I'm not sure on that one)

Who knows, maybe people will like them
Last edited by Venexis on May 30, 2015, 5:45:46 AM
I just remembered this from before and wanted to bump it.

Really like the idea and it could\should\would help supplement the map drops and improve the system greatly. Currently alts and regals arent being used as much when rolling maps, just alchs\chaos\chisels.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
This is by far the most interesting idea i've read in this forum in a long time.

obviously the affixes need some work/balancing

but the very concept of what you show here is pretty damn nice.
i realy hope GGG looks over this.

at the very least GGG could take somthing usefull from your idea.

PS: realy nice work on putting so much effort in making this thread
always remember to keep it short and simple, this feature you suggest make the mapping more complicated, You can already roll mods on a map and some of them extremely challanging for most builds. You must be kidding me right now adding more rng based shards and probably an invitation to 1000 bugs and crazy monster damage.

a big NO NO, always keep it short and simple. Path of exile suffers from being a very complicated and gated game already. More numbers is not good game.
My_Bloody_Valentine
i really like this idea, it gives more diversity to maps and less repetitive
Last edited by InAshesTheyShallReap on Aug 27, 2015, 11:43:22 AM
One of the more special ideas i have ever seen on poe forums.

That said, i am not exactly sure what to think of it, the implications are complicated. My first impression is that with current balance it would be way overpowered, especially with some of those unique fragments.

When i started reading it made me think of fragmenting a part of a map rolling into parts that would be easier to roll individually, giving players a greater degree of control over their maps. You have to remember though.. it will result in extra currency spent to roll maps over time, and considering the rates will also be balanced to the same level of average maps run.. then is it worth it?

Anyways i could see this being really great if you found like a shard every now and then, that you could add to your map as a bonus.

It is definitely something that is hard to figure out the impact of at first glance, and i think it should also be simple.

-

.. just throwing out random thoughts now..

For example if they dropped with only 1 affix and could not be rerolled. Say you could have some fragments that helped players counter certain map mods, or other impactful mods so you feel that you really mold your mapping experience rather than just more random map rolls. For example and with brief and bad wording:

Fragment against curses:
- Removes monster curse immunities
- Your curses apply at 35-60% effect

Against Reflect:
- Players take 35-60% less damage from reflect

Against Temporal Chains:
- Temporal chains is 35-60% less effective on players

Other mods could be things that just made you happy or were fitted for a specific playstyle/challenge.

Of the opportunist:
- Map has 1 Portal
- Some quant/rarity

Of the pack:
- 5-10% pack size

Of the grand haul
- map portals are not consumed on use
- some rarity

Stuff like that maybe, and they should not be overabundant.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Aug 27, 2015, 2:58:12 PM
True ,

the mod system for these fragments should be something simplistic.

the system itself is already somewhat complex, and adding a complex affix system would make it very confusing.
This is awesome.
OK, first of all, this IS indeed awesome. The ideas are great.

However, I kind of lost confidence in the map system alltogether. If something like this was implemented, it would probably just become mandatory to sustain maps. In a world where maps up to at least lvl 77/78 were sustainable with reasonable currency investment (i.e. sustainable selffound or with only trading currency, not items), such a system would be fun. In a world where getting to the content is just unbelievably tedious and expensive, with content gated behind RNG and wealth, the whole thing would just become mandatory and un-fun. Like, for example, strongboxes. Cool, and you can roll them, but in the end everyone rolls them for magic monsters, because that is required if you want to sustain your maps.
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info