treffnix wrote:
Love it, great suggestion!

My suggestion for an exp shard:

Untainted shard
- Increase exp according to IIR+IIQ
- No items drop

And one for the slow grinders amongst us:

Gheed's shard
- All drops are replaced by their vendor values in currency (except currency itself)

I'd hate to find a divine orb in one of these :)

The suggestion for the exp shard would be attainable quite effectively from Shards of Sacrifice. Much like their Unique counter part, you could roll the "Increased EXP based on IIR+IIQ" on blues or rares, although the effectiveness will be greatly smaller than the unique itself. Where as the unique would give you a 1 to 1 ratio, the affixes for blues or rares may only give between .2 to .25 times the amount of IIR + IIQ, so if you have 200% combined, the XP on the map would increase by 50% or so. Mix that with a well rolled Shard of Knowledge and you could have quite a healthy XP gain! Of course, Sacrifices will require you to run more difficult maps!

Ive started adding special affix lists to some of the shards, these affixes can be rolled along with a general affix group as well. Although the lists take some time to make... I haven't got round to sacrifice yet

As for yours Gheed's Shard suggestion, I absolutely love the idea of it so I went ahead and mocked up:

As you suggested, all drops are converted into currency (After being identified of course) but you will never know what the original item was. I like the idea of a player panicing that a Divine Orb dropped myself, was it a flat out currency drop or was it from a 6 link? That is just devious! I love it. (Of course, the name reference may not stick given where its referenced from, but hey! These are all suggestions).
Last edited by Venexis on May 23, 2015, 9:22:51 PM
Maybe completely removing item drops from increased experience maps would be too harsh. Wouldn't it be better to keep item drops, but just convert map IIQ into increased experience? Or maybe give increased experience as separate map mod, but with a penalty which reduces map IIQ? For example:

map mod 50% increased experience;
-25% item quantity
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke
Last edited by Toshis8 on May 24, 2015, 7:49:51 AM
"
Toshis8 wrote:
Maybe completely removing item drops from increased experience maps would be too harsh.

Have you ever done the tainted paradise? It is not only great for exp, it is also quite a refreshing change from the usual "Gotta see if something cool dropped" grind. You can just run through, killing monsters left and right and never stopping for loot.
Not something you need often in such a loot-lust game, but every now and then it really is nice.
May your maps be bountiful, exile
"
treffnix wrote:
"
Toshis8 wrote:
Maybe completely removing item drops from increased experience maps would be too harsh.

Have you ever done the tainted paradise? It is not only great for exp, it is also quite a refreshing change from the usual "Gotta see if something cool dropped" grind. You can just run through, killing monsters left and right and never stopping for loot.
Not something you need often in such a loot-lust game, but every now and then it really is nice.

Yes, i did. But it seems to be so rare that since masters came out me and my friend got that map from Zana only once. Sadly, it was a very low level map, cant remember exactly, but definitely below 70. And it was full of devourers in pack between 10-20. Was it delightful and rewarding to do? with no loot and literally so little experience that I didnt even notice exp increase? No.

If i did level 77-79 map and I had to completely sacrifice all item drops for experience, that would be a very hard choice. probably i wouldn't, drops are too valuable in top level maps. as said: "Maybe completely removing item drops from increased experience maps would be too harsh"
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke
Last edited by Toshis8 on May 25, 2015, 12:30:48 PM
"
Toshis8 wrote:
If i did level 77-79 map and I had to completely sacrifice all item drops for experience, that would be a very hard choice.

And that is precisely why it would be good. Getting something for nothing is rarely interesting.
"
treffnix wrote:
"
Toshis8 wrote:
If i did level 77-79 map and I had to completely sacrifice all item drops for experience, that would be a very hard choice.

And that is precisely why it would be good. Getting something for nothing is rarely interesting.

Not something for nothing. what i have in mind is -X% item quantity for +X% increased experience (or something like that). That would be fair. Giving away everything for some extra experience seems to be punishing - that probably would make this choice very unpopular, especially on highest level maps. Keep in mind that 0 drops also means 0 maps, this would result in losing all high level maps and we know how hard it is to get them. Would you do that?
"
Toshis8 wrote:
Would you do that?

I'm not sure, which intrigues me. Would probably only use it on maps below 75, preferably when levelling a new char. Still, it would be a difficult decision. But the fact that it is a decision and not a no-brainer makes it seem balanced to me.
"
Toshis8 wrote:
"
treffnix wrote:
"
Toshis8 wrote:

Not something for nothing. what i have in mind is -X% item quantity for +X% increased experience (or something like that). That would be fair. Giving away everything for some extra experience seems to be punishing - that probably would make this choice very unpopular, especially on highest level maps. Keep in mind that 0 drops also means 0 maps, this would result in losing all high level maps and we know how hard it is to get them. Would you do that?

I think there would be a number of ways to get maps that people can be happy with. The idea behind the Shards of Sacrifice were for the people who really wanted to push their experience. Levels become so difficult to obtain in the later levels that I am sure some people would prefer to boost their experience in any way they can.

My idea behind some possible combos would be a somewhat difficult map, a shard of sacrifice to change the rarity/quantity into experience, a shard of evolution to increase the map level (So lower level maps provide bonuses similar to higher ones) and a shard of experience to boost the xp a bit more. That may be a very good experience bonus.

-

I've been considering the possibilities that you suggested previously with the notion that instead of a shard saying +Quantity and experience, the sacrifice shard instead says +Experience %. The harder the shard, the more %. Although one of the rolls could be "No Items", granting a very large Exp bonus should the player wish to keep that roll.

That's what I've mocked up, it still suits the idea of "Sacrifice" but it doesn't force the player to sacrifice their drops if they don't want to. The "Monsters drop no items" could become a roll which provides a large flat bonus to experience, but should the player not want shards with that roll, there are many more affixes they could use to increase their xp. The implicit modifier on the shard are not factored into the % total at the top but are calculated when the map is used.

Things like increased mana cost and reduced player damage play into the sacrifice, with the % rolls on the stats increasing the exp multiplier. The spell echo/multistrike mod was just for something difficult that could also increase exp. Of course, the ratios between % to exp gain may seem unfair but this is a mock up after all.
Last edited by Venexis on May 25, 2015, 5:35:30 PM
I really don't like this idea to get lost, because it's one of the best.
It would open many new possibilites.
Unique Shards would be very interesting because they won't be bound to the tileset like unique maps are.
The Shards can also be rolled independently from the map you'd like to use it with.
Last edited by darkmatch on May 29, 2015, 2:56:11 PM
"
darkmatch wrote:
I really don't like this idea to get lost, because it's one of the best.
It would open many new possibilites.
Unique Shards would be very interesting because they won't be bound to the tileset like unique maps are.
The Shards can also be rolled independently from the map you'd like to use it with.

Seriously though this idea is fantastic.

The sort of flexibility and customization is insane, the options are CRAZY.

Map shards to maps are what jewels are to the skill tree. FREAKING AMAZING.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info