(Suggestion) Map Shards: improve your endgame mapping

I've been thinking around an idea for a while now, and although I am pretty sure others will have probably suggested something like this, I thought I would look take some time to explain it here.

Right now, maps build a large majority of our end game content, not including Atziri. Players spend a lot of their time in the higher levels running maps (Myself included) and I was wondering if it would be possible to bring some change to maps themselves.

The idea I starting thinking about are:

Map Shards

Map Shards serve as a filler for the 3 open squares that we usually have on our map devices. Much like the atziri map pieces, Map Shards can be placed along side our maps to provide a significant bonus to our item find and quantity whilst also increasing the difficulty of the map or providing a different twist.

Much like maps, Shards can be rolled into different qualities, granting affixes and suffixes that will effect the map they are used with.

The stats the shards grant will stack with other shards and the map itself. The example above has 19% increased monster life. If the map the player is using comes with 25% monster life, the combined total for the map and the shard would then become 44% increased monster life. (In before 50% physical reflect). The shards can also come with some alternate effects that can really change up the maps themselves, allowing the player to fine tune their experience more.

The main goal behind this is to allow players to try craft some great maps. Maps that could help then achieve higher levels, better loot, etc... Of course, to do so, you will have to throw yourself into more dangerous situations. It should hopefully also provide some new experiences within maps, allowing players to create sea witch spawn maps with 100% monster pack size all with random buffs. Who knows, these shards are there to reward those brave enough to try something incredibly crazy.

Map Shard Requirements:
  • Shards can only be used on maps that are of magic quality or higher.
  • 2 or more shards of the same base type CANNOT be used on the same map.
  • Shards CANNOT be used with Unique Maps.
  • Unique Shards are exclusive to one and other. Only 1 Unique Shard can be active on a map at any time.
  • Any conflicting modifiers are resolved through the use of priorities. E.G: A shard with "Area contains no monsters" will overwrite any shard or map modifier that spawns additional monsters, unique bosses, rogue exiles, etc...
  • Shards ONLY drop in maps.
  • Shards CANNOT be used with Corrupted Maps.
  • Only 1 Corrupted Shard can be used on a map, no additional shards can be used while a Corrupted Shard is in use.
  • A map CANNOT have a Zana mod added to it if shards are also being applied.

Shard Base Types:
The current standing list of Shard base types are below. Some may be stupid and experimental but who knows, people may find them interesting! Expand the spoiler sections under each base type for an example of some of the shards and some of the possible specialized affixes that can be acquired from each type of shard.

Shard Affixes:
Each shard type can be rolled from a collection of 2 pools of affixes, the first pool is a global affix pool that contain the more generalized affixes such are Monster Damage, Pack Size, etc... Generally affixes that can appear on maps can appear on shards but with slightly reduced percentages. In addition to the general affixes, each shard has their own collection of special affixes that follow their themes.

(Shard specific affixes are still in the works, many will be missing temporarily)
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shard Affixes
Spoiler
Shard Examples
Spoiler

A Unique map based around the idea of elements. Players will have to be incredibly careful when attempting to kill monsters in any map they use this on. All of the players damage will be elemental, randomly chosen with each tick of damage. It may be in the players best interest to create a map that has easier enemy types. I dare to think what would happen if someone ran this shard with a map that had elemental reflect already on it... RIP
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shard Affixes
Spoiler
Shard Examples
Spoiler

An incredibly dangerous yet very profitable shard. This is a solo map, players will only have 1 life to try get all the riches they desire. Unique bosses will always drop 1 unique each, and with at least 2 unique bosses on the map, this can be very profitable. However, enemies hit incredibly hard and the unique bosses even harder. If you die, game over!

Mixing this shard with a map that contains 2 unique bosses will give you 3 bosses and potentially 3 uniques. Adding more magic or rare shards with unique boss rolls can be even more profitable, but I do wonder what would happen if you fought 5 Piety clones at once.

Swindlers' Desire is a much tamer Shard of Wealth and far more manageable. As before however, you only have 1 life to get your riches. If you die, tough luck! A calm, collected player should be able to manage the reflect easily. Using a base map with +% Rare Monsters and more shards with the same roll could give you a healthy amount of currency (Although lets be honest, enjoy your Transmutes and Alts!)

(Suggestion by Treffnix)
A shard for those who don't want to waste time travelling back and forth between map and vendors. Every item in this map is first identified and then dropped as currency (You just won't know what the original items were). Given how many items people tend to leave lying on the ground due to lack of portals, this map will ensure that every item dropped is picked up (One way or another)! Of course, who knows if that Divine Orb was a currency drop or converted from a 6 link! Let that notion sink in a little bit.

Shard Examples
Spoiler

A Base Type for those who want some simplistic Item Quantity and Rarity. No Uniques for this one yet

Shard Affixes
Spoiler

Shard Examples
Spoiler

The shard for anyone needing some levels! Much like Zana's daily map, players gain a large amount of increased experience but sacrifice their item drops. However, because of the combinations a player could create using this shard, there is a big downside. Players take chaos damage over time while in this map and should they die, they will lose a very large chunk of experience!

Combining this shard with a map with monster pack size, magic Monsters or a good base monster type modifier could potentially create an XP haven. In fact, if we were to assume the base map had 50% monster pack size and you used 2 shards that both gave 25% pack size. Combine that with this shard and you'll have 110% larger monster packs. XP out of the posterior

Something for people who want to level their gems! You sacrifice your own personal experience so that your gems can level quicker! Smart rolls on your map and shards can really assist in your gems leveling experience!

Shard Examples
Spoiler

Trying out some unusual mods for maps on these ones. Increased level of maps allows players to use their lower level maps to attain slightly higher level ones (If they are lucky). Monster level increases would allow players to tailor make their maps so they can get higher tier loot and random negative effects on shards that stop players from using auras, because PoE can be so cruel.

A very unusual addition to a map. With this shard, you will be able to run your map with every single Aura in the game maxed out. The map itself will be a much higher level and the monsters even more so to make up for it, but the power you will get to feel will be great! Just be careful not to make the enemies too powerful by standing next to them.

Shard Examples
Spoiler

Anarchy shards could be amazing or they could be horrific. Much like unidentified maps, you are putting yourself against an unknown threat for the promise of more rewards. However, in this case, for each shard you use in your map, you gain an additional 25% rarity of items for the cheap cheap price of a potentially deadly unknown map modifier. Blood Magic, CI, No energy shields is well worth the 100% Rarity this shard would give... Right? Of course, you could instead get a couple of extra % monster damage for that same 100% rarity, now that is a bargain.

Anarchy is living up to its name with this unique map! All of the implicit mods that the map would get from itself and other shards are randomized within their normal limits. These limits could then potentially be broken with an additional flat percentage! (38% Elemental Reflect anyone?). At the same time though, your rarity is greatly increased! Take a gamble... You never know!

Shard Examples
Spoiler

The name of this unique says it all. The premise of this unique is that each strongbox is incredibly deadly, but as strongboxes go, you could get some good loot! However, each strongbox you open will make the enemies stronger... With what is potentially 7 strongboxes, enemies could end up with 350% extra damage and life. The end goal however is that beautiful unique strongbox, which, if you were the unlucky person to get max rolls on this map, would mean when you click that unique strongbox, the enemies are buffed to a delicious 400% damage and health!

Shard Examples
Spoiler

The Shard for those who really want a specific unique! Although this shard would be rare, should the item class roll be of an item type you need something from, this is your chance to up your chances. If you need a specific unique one-handed sword, you'll have to hope the item class roll is for one-handed swords. If that is the case, get yourself a map with 2 unique bosses and 2 extra shards with unique bosses and you have yourself a feast (Hopefully)... More than likely you will just get vendor trash, but hey! In a world of RNG, any small favor is good!

Shard Examples
Spoiler

An unusual base to say the least, but quality sacrifice shards can really boost your experience gain. Of course, you will have to be willing to sacrifice all material gain for it! The quality shards will gain modifiers in a similar way to the unique (Although much weaker than the unique). The premise of the unique is that players will have to roll the most difficult map and shard modifiers they can to bump up the total quantity and rarity of items found. The collective percentage of both then becomes your xp gain. The harder the maps, the more xp you get!

The stacking experience buff grants an incentive to get really stuck in! Can you really mow through these incredibly powerful monsters you've created? If so, your experience will start rolling in

Everything above is what I have so far, please, once again, do not take much notice of the percentages on the items. They are just examples! If you do have any feedback, suggestions or even ideas for base types that I could mock up, please let me know. It is actually quite enjoyable to do something like this.
Last edited by Venexis on May 30, 2015, 1:55:07 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
This is the best thing i've read about improving or adding something to maps in a long time. I can imagine a market around "rolling" these.

For example if you are just trying to boost your maps just a little bit this is perfect its cheaper then zana mods, but if using multiple ones of these more expensive then trans+alt the map.

I just wanted to say this feedback is the type of stuff I browse these here forums for. Unqiue interesting ways to improve the game.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
"
goetzjam wrote:
This is the best thing i've read about improving or adding something to maps in a long time. I can imagine a market around "rolling" these.

For example if you are just trying to boost your maps just a little bit this is perfect its cheaper then zana mods, but if using multiple ones of these more expensive then trans+alt the map.

I just wanted to say this feedback is the type of stuff I browse these here forums for. Unqiue interesting ways to improve the game.

Thank you for the response! It would be great to see what sort of economy these items bring up and as you say, there are some expensive combos that some players would love to get their hands on. If these were a real thing, I am positive that the shards of knowledge unique with other supporting pack size shards would be a popular thing!

They could provide a lot of different benefits, but getting exactly what you want would be increasingly tough. I have posted a new type called the shard of promise, something different. I feel like shards like that could also improve a players gameplay as it allows them to aim for something without just out right handing it to them.

Either way, thank you again! Hopefully more people like this and have some ideas
When I read the title, I thought you meant like alchemy shards that add up to an alc. I was pleasantly surprised to actually read your suggestion (as I was not going to based on my assumption) and am a) Glad I did so and b) really impressed and think its a great idea.

So, kudos to you! #ThumbsUp
Awesome suggestion

Other than QoL stuff I'd have to put this in the top 10 suggestions of all time .... Hope somebody sees this
echo "The world is full of smart people" |sed -e 's/smart people/sheep/'
Its pretty much the same as crafting the map itself (giving it extra loot + mods for greater difficulty), except that this goes a bit further, and gives even more loot (IIQ + IIR) with even more increased difficulty. What if map itself has a lot of mods, then you add 3 shard which have a lot of different mods each resulting in a list of mods which doesn't fit in the screen. How would you solve this? For example, map + 3 shards = 30 different mods. Though the idea is original, +1

Edit:

What i really miss on maps is the ability to craft increased experience (with increased difficulty probably). For example, if a high level character wants to increase its level faster (we know what a pain it is doing maps like 10-15 levels lower than your character), he could choose to give map increased experience instead of increased item quantity or something like that
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke
Last edited by Toshis8 on May 22, 2015, 4:48:10 PM
"
Toshis8 wrote:
Its pretty much the same as crafting the map itself (giving it extra loot + mods for greater difficulty), except that this goes a bit further, and gives even more loot (IIQ + IIR) with even more increased difficulty. What if map itself has a lot of mods, then you add 3 shard which have a lot of different mods each resulting in a list of mods which doesn't fit in the screen. How would you solve this? For example, map + 3 shards = 30 different mods. Though the idea is original, +1

Edit:

What i really miss on maps is the ability to craft increased experience (with increased difficulty probably). For example, if a high level character wants to increase its level faster (we know what a pain it is doing maps like 10-15 levels lower than your character), he could choose to give map increased experience instead of increased item quantity or something like that

I see where you are coming from on that one, If we were to assume the map and each shard had 6 different mods each, we would have 24 different modifications which I do see causing an issue. Although given the nature of path of exile, i would say that it would suit it quite well. Players have a tendency to want to create crazy builds in game. In the same sense, this would allow players to create crazy map modifications, if they want to risk their lives by running a map will increased elemental damage, ele reflect, blood magic, CI, monster damage... etc etc, then all the best to them. I myself will probably roll monster pack size on each shard and try get beyond on my main map. I'm sure others will have their own sane shard builds :D (Hopefully)

I guess 1 upside of this is that the mods itself dont go on a physical item in the game but only appear when you press TAB while inside the map. I do dread to think how much of my screen a map with 24 mods on it would fill up. Given how powerful some of the mods on the shards could be, I would probably say that they could be limited to 2 affixes and 2 suffixes as a rare, and 1 of each on magic. Unique would be the only exception.

--

As for your idea of increased experience gain, that would be where the knowledge shard would come in, I was thinking that the affixes and suffixes could potentially include rolls such as +(25 - 50) increased experience and something possibly a fairly rare mod that removes the experience penalty for people over leveled, or at least reduce the severity of it. Ill post up some potential suffixes / affixes for each shard at some point to see what people think.

"
Shinare wrote:
When I read the title, I thought you meant like alchemy shards that add up to an alc. I was pleasantly surprised to actually read your suggestion (as I was not going to based on my assumption) and am a) Glad I did so and b) really impressed and think its a great idea.

So, kudos to you! #ThumbsUp

Thank you Shinare as well, your post made me realize the very same thing. Whoever thinks getting X amount of map shards to create 1 basic map must be insane! I've edited the post name in accordance so that hopefully people see that this is a way to improve your maps instead of just forming them from stones and pebbles!
Last edited by Venexis on May 22, 2015, 5:40:18 PM
I love this idea! :)
I wanted to shamelessly bump my post while also building on a suggestion that Toshis8 made

"
Toshis8 wrote:

I had an idea that could be used, another unique shard that could really make things interesting. As you said, some people care more about levels than loot. I myself see the value of that, since getting loot will be easier when I am a higher level. I can plow through enemies quicker and as a result, get loot quicker. So my thinking was, what if there was a way to sacrifice your loot to help you level faster and I came up with:

The shards of sacrifice start out by simply stopping items from dropping, the base item itself will be a confusing drop because they will simply say "Monsters drop no items". The value comes out of them when you quality them up with prefixes and suffixes that really benefit your experience gain.

The unique version above is built to push a player to their limits, how much do they want to risk for XP? Your experience gain is increased by how difficult your map and shards are. For instance, if your maps are an absolute monstrosity that grants 96% quantity of items and you also have 2 additional shards that make your life horrible, each granting a collective rarity and quantity amount of 60 or so, with the unique you will get over 200% more experience. If the player then manages to mow down the crazily deadly enemies, they will gain a stacking experience buff that could potentially put them over 500% more experience total. Of course, to stop people from monopolizing on the stacking buff, monster pack modifiers will not work. If you want experience, you will need to fight harder mobs, not packs of easy cyclone meat.

The key to this is good shard combinations and a willingness to fight against some of the most deadly map and shard modifiers in the game.

EDIT: Forgot another addition i made.

I also had an idea for, in a way, the opposite side of the spectrum. This time it relates to gem experience.

This shard is built to give your gems experience by completely cutting out items or your own personal experience. This would be one of the best ways to level your gems. As standard, if you kill an enemy worth 10000 experience, your gem gets 1000. If we were to assume you got a max roll on your shard, you would be getting 21000 experience a kill, 10500 of which goes to your gems. Of course, the rest is wasted, but that's the price you pay. Mixing this with other shards, especially a well rolled sacrifice could provide some good gem experience!
Last edited by Venexis on May 23, 2015, 6:04:09 AM
Love it, great suggestion!

My suggestion for an exp shard:

Untainted shard
- Increase exp according to IIR+IIQ
- No items drop

And one for the slow grinders amongst us:

Gheed's shard
- All drops are replaced by their vendor values in currency (except currency itself)

I'd hate to find a divine orb in one of these :)
May your maps be bountiful, exile

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info