Incident Report for Item Loss Bug

"
Zoen wrote:
"
Unfortunately, due to the nature of the bug, we are unable to restore affected items.
Memory corruption can corrupt data in such a way that it looks the same as a regular user action. Unfortunately, in our logs, legitimate item deletion is indistinguishable from loss due to this bug. We are unable to restore items lost in this way.

To those complaining that items aren't being restored:

"
Lost Data: In the event that any information or data (including without limitation in respect of in-game characters, achievements, Virtual Items, Points or general POE gameplay) relating to you or your use of any of the Website, Materials and Services held by Grinding Gear Games or any third party on behalf of Grinding Gear Games is lost, corrupted or otherwise no longer reasonably available or accessible as judged by Grinding Gear Games in its sole discretion, you agree that to the greatest extent permissible at law Grinding Gear Games will have no liability to you of any nature relating to any such information or data.

*cough*

No one in the entire universe is suggesting actual legal action against GGG for this. The ToU is a bunch of legalese about legal liability. I'm also not asking for my money back for the supporter pack that I no longer wish I bought. That would be a legally unbackable argument.

That doesn't make it any less of a completely dickhead [Removed by Support] move for them to not put every fucking effort into restoring items that were lost due to this bug. This was a fucking rookie programmer mistake, more evidence that Mark and the entire GGG team are shit coders. Memory management, people, seriously. If you've completely forgotten how to do it the C way, then actually use C++'s automatic memory management utilities to fucking do it for you, no matter how slow they are.
Last edited by Jared_GGG on May 11, 2015, 9:52:41 PM
what i find most strange is its a loss of a mod or items

what if shavs suddenly gained 1000hp or some lucky guy gained 10 mirrors out of nowhere?

not sure we would have the same result as in sorry we cant take away your free ten mirrors

maybe im wrong.. just imagine the shit storm that would create though LOL
"
NekoHanten wrote:

what if shavs suddenly gained 1000hp or some lucky guy gained 10 mirrors out of nowhere?

not sure we would have the same result as in sorry we cant take away your free ten mirrors

I was wondering where those 10 mirrors came from :) thanks for clearing that up
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
100% Ethical, most of the time.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"
No one in the entire universe is suggesting actual legal action against GGG for this. The ToU is a bunch of legalese about legal liability. I'm also not asking for my money back for the supporter pack that I no longer wish I bought. That would be a legally unbackable argument.

That doesn't make it any less of a completely dickhead retarded move for them to not put every fucking effort into restoring items that were lost due to this bug. This was a fucking rookie programmer mistake, more evidence that Mark and the entire GGG team are shit coders. Memory management, people, seriously. If you've completely forgotten how to do it the C way, then actually use C++'s automatic memory management utilities to fucking do it for you, no matter how slow they are.

No, but it still pretty much says they cannot be held responsible for loss of information, which inherently tells me they're not going to restore it anyways. Plus:
"
eudaemon69 wrote:
Determining the source of the loss in a situation like this would be impossible. Corrupting the memory at essentially a random location means that no matter what sytem was in place, barring one that explicitly was aligned with an padded byte boundary or something weird like that that no one would ever put in place, you wouldn't be able to tell WHY those bytes were set to 0. From the sound of it, "However, in very rare cases, it was possible for memory that contained tracking of what items had been deleted to become modified" it sounds a lot like all information for what had been deleted was either corrupted or lost. In C/C++ (I assume it's C/C++ based on the GCC comment) if you had a pointer to a struct that had the info for deleted items and how they were deleted, writing a 0 to that pointer location or even just screwing up the pointer might mean you lose all of that information. They might not have any info at all in that case. And if they are caching Delete information into an inmemory table or something, yeah, I could see them not being able to tell what happened no matter what safegaurds you had in place because the bug itself is bypassing all the stuff in the code and writing directly into a random memory location.

Best case scenario? They've got full logs, but I don't see them looking through thousands upon thousands of lines of log text over the past week paired with player reports to find and restore items. As it seems, though...no matter what system is in place, there's no determining anything, even if they have logs.

They need their manpower for developing 2.0, not for catering to the small selection of people who can't handle the loss of an item.
"
NekoHanten wrote:

No, luckily that's not possible. 4 bytes, probably boundary-aligned, were being set to 0, and no other value. That's a single uint32 that basically gets reinitialized to [empty]. So it can only make things disappear (sockets, mods, items, passive points), not appear.
let me c if i understood........YOUR server had a bug, people lost itens due YOUR BUG, and you are not restoring itens?????
lol..............and people complain about blizzard.......once a friend had its WoW account hacked and they rolled back it.............
Not a good look for you, GGG. Disappointed.
RIP SHAVS
2.0 ain't no melee patch.
Ah, the old dupe poofing good times... Kappa

Should always perm your items folks.
Burn the Heretic. Kill the Mutant. Purge the Unclean.
Last edited by LegionsOmen on May 11, 2015, 10:21:49 PM
"
andrehbg wrote:
let me c if i understood........YOUR server had a bug, people lost itens due YOUR BUG, and you are not restoring itens?????
lol..............and people complain about blizzard.......once a friend had its WoW account hacked and they rolled back it.............

I lost belt(low lvl uniq Meginord Girdl with Perandus alr art on it) , GGG support cant do any for me, anything(i send full info). On reddit i tell Chris about lie for this fix from him,tons funboys pm me, i wanna see face when some of them lost top item.
P.S. GGG , u need to post official info on ur site , if servers got bug, and people lost his char(item) u dont do any for restore, cos its normal for POE.
100lvl mele pvp QUIT
Last edited by Jedi_blr on May 11, 2015, 10:33:32 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info