Incident Report for Item Loss Bug

And you didn't disable the server until the issue was fixed/debugged to prevent players logging in and randomly losing their hard earned gear because... ?

If you can't track items to resolve this kind of thing on a per player basis than you SHOULD be disabling access to the server until the issue is resolved, NOT playing russian roulette with your customers hard earned work/rewards.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on May 11, 2015, 8:46:12 PM
"
DnAngel wrote:
"
Vajtastic wrote:
I have a hard time believing GGG can't restore these lost items. The poor guy whose shav's lost it's chaos mod and the guy who lost his acuitys must feel like shit.

They can restore items, but they can't identify which items should be restored with a script, so they won't restore any.

Of course if there was good will they could restore the items for people that ask for them and can be checked on the logs.... Maybe if people pay 30$ to get them back they can make an exception.

I totally understand what you are saying but the poor guy with the ruined legacy shav's has proof that his item is still broken and they haven't fixed it. It exists but without the chaos mod.
Last edited by Vajtastic on May 11, 2015, 8:42:06 PM
I'm fine with my 4L voll's protectors just gone. But feel salty about the 6L shav. The most important mode is missing there.

Anyway, glad to hear it not going to happen again. Great job, thanks!
[Removed by Admin]
Was there a specific action that caused this bug to occur? I have been playing standard recently, and with so many MTX I have no freaking clue if I lost something or not.
I haven't played in a few weeks. How the hell are we to know if we are affected or not?
Stoutarm

Guildleader: JESUSWEPT (JESUS†)
I was transfering items from HC to SC and a jewel is lost...

Malicious Intent. I was about to lvl up with a char on SC to be able to try the gem out and BAAAM it's gone :D

I had to say to myself a few times "It's beta, calm down, it's beta dude"

SO much about it from me. Hope you like my feedback GGG
DEATH & THRASH
Last edited by MetapoliC on May 11, 2015, 8:54:19 PM
Anyone that's ever dealt with this kind of bug knows what a pain they are to track down. It sucks, it was a bug, and depending on how the logging is setup it makes sense that item deletions (which probably involve setting references/autoptr's/whatever to 0 and this might look the same whether the bug did it or a player legitimaly deleted something by vendoring it or dropping it in town or whatever. Rolling back a character is probably not possible without a ton of effort per character. I wouldn't want to try and keep a snapshot of all the player data for a game like this, it would make a lot more sense to have incremental backups from some full backup so you could do full restores but for individual chars your have to restore the whole thing somewhere and dig out the appropriate data and then copy it onto Live which just seems untenable. Restoring the MTX is just generating a new MTX for the account, no DB restore actually has to happen.

And as far as disabling the servers... would it really be resonable to bring the game down for who knows how long when you have a bug that's intermitant and non-deterministic? Plus, it actually helps to have people playing and have more detailed logging turned on so that if it does happen again you can see it in real time and get more data to narrow down where it's occuring. Depending on exactly how the bug is reproduced it might only be something that is detectable with enough people poking the client in enough odd ways for it to happen again so you can detected it. Especially true if you have rotating logs.

Last edited by eudaemon69 on May 11, 2015, 9:04:16 PM
I wasn't affected but it's totally unacceptable that you aren't restoring items. The idea that it's indistinguishable from normal item deletion is absurd. Nobody's going to just delete a Shavs or 6L or whatever. It's hardly going to break the economy if very few items were affected as you claim, but it totally fucks over the affected players. I understand your policy of not returning items lost to scams, desync or whatever, but when it's caused by an unavoidable bug which is entirely your fault, it's ridiculous that you refuse to do anything about it.

"
Rolling back a character is probably not possible without a ton of effort per character.

Significantly less effort than it'll take for all the people who lost Shavs etc to get them back. If GGG let a bug like this onto the live servers, they need to put some effort into making it right rather than just fixing the bug and telling everybody affected 'tough shit'.
Last edited by InfiniteMonkeys on May 11, 2015, 9:07:48 PM
I do hope one day as a team that you guys figure out how to restore items, coming up with a better method. If bugs like this persist, it straight out will lead to rage quit. Though I do understand it is incredibly hard to deal with a persons claim in a virtual item world. My worry is that with so many changes, like to gems etc, that bugs like this can happen more and more. Hopefully this will not happen again.
I'm extremely disappointed that you aren't restoring items that were obviously destroyed by the bug.

If a player posted about an item disappearing in a bug report or support ticket, and you can see it was legitimately destroyed, it should be fairly obvious that they did not perform the action. If an expensive item was destroyed, such as a Shav's or 6-link, it should be equally obvious. If the item had a microtransaction on it it should be perfectly obvious. If the stats on the item are completely nonsensical... I really can't even put to words how obvious that is.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info