Incident Report for Item Loss Bug

errors can happen but...

ARE YOU DOING ANYTHING SO THAT FROM NOW ON YOU CAN DISTINGUISH DELETED ITEMS FROM OTHER SOURCE OF LOSS?

lets be serious the fact you are restoring microtransaction and not items make you look hypocrite, so are people who pay real money more important to you than those who don´t?

Im sure EU has laws that mistakes like this kind could get you lawsuited, it doesn´t matter what we checkmark on terms of service, the companies have to be responsible for the properties that people purchased. This is probably the only reason why you are offering a replacement of microtransactions.

Just because GGG is one of the best companies in regard to how they philosophy is having a great game and not generating huge amount of profits doesn´t mean you can just say "f*ck you and your item losts, we are not replacing them unless you payed irl money, we would not wana get lawsuited"
IGN: RFFP
"
Unfortunately, due to the nature of the bug, we are unable to restore affected items.
Memory corruption can corrupt data in such a way that it looks the same as a regular user action. Unfortunately, in our logs, legitimate item deletion is indistinguishable from loss due to this bug. We are unable to restore items lost in this way.

To those complaining that items aren't being restored:

"
Lost Data: In the event that any information or data (including without limitation in respect of in-game characters, achievements, Virtual Items, Points or general POE gameplay) relating to you or your use of any of the Website, Materials and Services held by Grinding Gear Games or any third party on behalf of Grinding Gear Games is lost, corrupted or otherwise no longer reasonably available or accessible as judged by Grinding Gear Games in its sole discretion, you agree that to the greatest extent permissible at law Grinding Gear Games will have no liability to you of any nature relating to any such information or data.

*cough*
I think the '300 items affected' is probably based on some kind of server process crash that happened and if I had to guess, they are assuming that the crashes or some other kind of marker behavior for the bug is when these item deletions and modifications happened. Remember, we're talking about corrupted memory locations which throws out trusting what the logs say 100% because the corruption might be posing as mod changes, deletions, or skill tree resets. There's literally no way to tell if someone really deleted a 6L or vendored it or maybe just missed it on the ground. The last one might be relevant if item deletions due to zones expiring are tied to the user id's that created them or something like that.

So yes, depending on exactly how the logs are setup, I could see them knowing that 'something' happened around a certain number of times but they might not know which players it happened to or exactly when it happened or even what exact items it happened to. Heck, once an item is deleted it might be marked as 'deleted' and then the DB table row gets reused or something like that and they only have the previous ID to go on. I've seen lots of crazy stuff done in the name of optimization when you need things to be fast. Hell, that's reason enough to have a 'no restoring items' policy so you can pull tricks like that to keep things fast without absurdly expensive hardware. But that's all just a guess and it might just be a way to not open the floodgates to tons of work restoring backups only to find someone lied about losing an item or were mistaken... just better to not let restore be an option.
i "lost" my 6 Link max rolled armor/ev HP tri res chest with 6 white slots and +1 to all gems corrupt.

please restore it! :p
[Removed by Support]
"
benkeia wrote:
errors can happen but...

ARE YOU DOING ANYTHING SO THAT FROM NOW ON YOU CAN DISTINGUISH DELETED ITEMS FROM OTHER SOURCE OF LOSS?

lets be serious the fact you are restoring microtransaction and not items make you look hypocrite, so are people who pay real money more important to you than those who don´t?

Im sure EU has laws that mistakes like this kind could get you lawsuited, it doesn´t matter what we checkmark on terms of service, the companies have to be responsible for the properties that people purchased. This is probably the only reason why you are offering a replacement of microtransactions.

Just because GGG is one of the best companies in regard to how they philosophy is having a great game and not generating huge amount of profits doesn´t mean you can just say "f*ck you and your item losts, we are not replacing them unless you payed irl money, we would not wana get lawsuited"

MTX can just be recreated because they aren't items that drop in game, there's no real consequence to just putting them back in. It's also far easier (I am betting) to see that someone bought an MTX and it's no longer on thier account. As far as I know, there's no way to trade or destroy MTX so if you had one put on your account and it's no longer there, it's pretty easy to see that it should be there.

Determining the source of the loss in a situation like this would be impossible. Corrupting the memory at essentially a random location means that no matter what sytem was in place, barring one that explicitly was aligned with an padded byte boundary or something weird like that that no one would ever put in place, you wouldn't be able to tell WHY those bytes were set to 0. From the sound of it, "However, in very rare cases, it was possible for memory that contained tracking of what items had been deleted to become modified" it sounds a lot like all information for what had been deleted was either corrupted or lost. In C/C++ (I assume it's C/C++ based on the GCC comment) if you had a pointer to a struct that had the info for deleted items and how they were deleted, writing a 0 to that pointer location or even just screwing up the pointer might mean you lose all of that information. They might not have any info at all in that case. And if they are caching Delete information into an inmemory table or something, yeah, I could see them not being able to tell what happened no matter what safegaurds you had in place because the bug itself is bypassing all the stuff in the code and writing directly into a random memory location.
Servers + vaal orb =
(Location):PH
Duelist is kylo ren -_-
mtx still in beta
let them iron out the bugs
"
Zoen wrote:
"
Unfortunately, due to the nature of the bug, we are unable to restore affected items.
Memory corruption can corrupt data in such a way that it looks the same as a regular user action. Unfortunately, in our logs, legitimate item deletion is indistinguishable from loss due to this bug. We are unable to restore items lost in this way.

To those complaining that items aren't being restored:

"
Lost Data: In the event that any information or data (including without limitation in respect of in-game characters, achievements, Virtual Items, Points or general POE gameplay) relating to you or your use of any of the Website, Materials and Services held by Grinding Gear Games or any third party on behalf of Grinding Gear Games is lost, corrupted or otherwise no longer reasonably available or accessible as judged by Grinding Gear Games in its sole discretion, you agree that to the greatest extent permissible at law Grinding Gear Games will have no liability to you of any nature relating to any such information or data.

*cough*

The fact that this is present in the TOS doesn't invalidate the fact that refusing to restore items lost directly due to a bug you created is total bullshit. Also, accepting TOS doesn't mean shit in the EU (because nobody reads them anyway).
I have bought a supporter pack very recently.

I am never buying a supporter pack again.

This is terrible and you should scrap 2.0 to make better item tracking code.
I can't really see any sense as to why the guy with the shave's can't have his item restored it's fucking obvious what happened and it is legitimate(in fact it CAN'T be fake). This is a piss poor way to handle this. At least restore all legit items. That's it for my support of this game tbh. GGG you are a great company but you really lack ANY foresight.
Fuck the lab

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info