Item Development - Information

It would be pretty intresting if it works with "cast when damage taken" and "cast when stunned".
As reminder:

Cast when Stunned
You cannot Cast Supported Spells directly
x% chance to Cast Supported Spells when Stunned

Cast when Damage Taken
This Gem can only Support Skill Gems requiring Level x or lower
You cannot Cast Supported Spells directly
100% chance to Cast Supported Spells when you take a total of x Damage

As the wording is diffrent from Empower/Enhance.
I suppose that only cwdt wouldn't work because of the "can only Support Skill Gems" and we don't have a skill gem.
But that would mean we could get a 1x 4 support cast when stunned ice storm + 1x 5l active spell in a single item. Bringing us to a total of 2x 5l and 1x 6l for a build.

Would be nice if we get confirmation on that.

P.S.: Sorry for grammatical/spelling mistakes not a native speaker here.
I wonder could we have support gems attached to that skill?
"
Arcis wrote:
why don't you just make it so the mod says "Grants the Icestorm skill" ?

+1 to this.
Last edited by ktzy91 on Apr 8, 2015, 4:08:53 AM
"
Barivius wrote:
"
Arcis wrote:

Yes. Listen to this fellow. Take the level off of it. It isn't relevant anyway.

"Grants Unique Icestorm Skill"

But then socketing empower into it wont make a differnce instead of increasing the scaling cause even with 500 int that cold damage isnt as high is other builds! I imagine that if you add a level 4 empower to in like any item granting skill it will affect it so imagine a level 4 ice storm that gives you 4 to 6 cold damage for every 10 int!
"
AlexOverLord wrote:
"
Barivius wrote:
"
Arcis wrote:

Yes. Listen to this fellow. Take the level off of it. It isn't relevant anyway.

"Grants Unique Icestorm Skill"

But then socketing empower into it wont make a differnce instead of increasing the scaling cause even with 500 int that cold damage isnt as high is other builds! I imagine that if you add a level 4 empower to in like any item granting skill it will affect it so imagine a level 4 ice storm that gives you 4 to 6 cold damage for every 10 int!

It's already confirmed that Empower and Enhance won't work with it.
What's with the worry about later this year? It's not like they said later PART of this year... tomorrow's still counted as later this year. I mean, you might be right about what they're trying to imply since that's an awfully broad timeframe to be referring to. But giving a broad timeframe doesn't necessarily mean it ain't coming end of this month (or early next).

"
"
dlrr wrote:

With the forums like this, I dread the thought of the shit I'll start receiving when my new unique gets teased... sigh.

Infamous is still famous, my friend.

Can't wait! I've still a ways to go to hit NuclearRaven levels...
Unique skills implemented in items sounds really nice. It will give more and more combinations for our characters. It would be nice to have more items like this staff :)
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
I have mixed feelings about oskills like this. I love the idea of the item and the way it's done but it takes away a bit of diversity. Players who want to go Icestorm can only do by using this staff.
Without this item, they would have zero options for a weapon in an Icestorm build, and would not be able to make that build at all. With it, they have one option for a weapon (and can build their other gear differently based on their preference), and can make the build. This has literally only added build diversity.
That's not the alternative.

The alternative is that the design effort that went into this could have instead gone into something that creates a number of builds -- a whole class of builds.

This is a one-build wonder, and while I'm at least partially aware of why it had to be done as an oskill (including the weirdness of being able to ignore all fusings), I'm still just taken aback at why it needed to be done at all.

My original question was "oskills? but... why introduce them now?"

---

Earlier when I said this:
"
pneuma wrote:
So, a skill-gem-less skill. There's other information on the skill gem other than its base damage, of course.

These can all be calculated manually, but:
- Where do you find the base mana cost of the skill?
- Where do you find the base cast speed of the skill?
- What's the damage effectiveness of the skill?
- What keywords apply to it?

There's always only been one place to see those things before and they've always been readily available before. I'm certainly closer to the powergamer camp of wanting to see all the data in every item all the time (which I know is a UI no-no), but at least this information is stuff that people are already used to getting.

How bad would the UI fuck up if you were to place that information (in its standard gem pop-up UI form, minus the level, quality, and requirements fields) inside the staff?

... here's a visual of what I was thinking, if that helps. (I apologize for the shitty MSPaint in advance.)

Of course, the wording would just be "Grants Icestorm", followed by the description of Icestorm, of course.
Last edited by pneuma on Apr 8, 2015, 4:26:34 AM
"
yotmato wrote:
"

You missed a very selfish, very myopic 'to me' at the end of that little quip.

People clearing level 66+ maps with a level 28 sword is sort of the opposite of 'not useful'.

And if someone finds The Goddess Bound in a race, they're going to do almost unfairly well.

Save the snark. You haven't even begun to earn the right to try that with me.

I can clear 78s with a Lifesprig, whats your point?

Posts like this show how some people going into balance and design threads ar sometimes totally clueless about how the game works. The weapon slot for the spellcaster is to be considered as a buff. as long as your build and gems setup is good you can clear all content with a white driftwood wand, even if it will be slower of course. The weapon slot is way more crucial than that for any melee build and works in a totally different way.
IGN : @Morgoth
"
Arrogant wrote:
Ice storm! Hype

How does the staff(and thus Ice Storm itself iirc) interact with Empower/Enhance gems?

I would assume there would be no interaction because Empower/Enhance are support gems and specifically need to be linked to a gem to effect it

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info