New Skill Development - Vigilant Strike

I see a lot of posts about RT. I doubt that the fortify support gem will grant 100%hit chance to the supported skill in addition to the defensive boost. If you use Vigilant strike + some kind of end. charge generator you could use it as a main attack in which case your build could skip RT. However the builds that currently use other attack skills + RT, will still need it. Personally I don't like the built in RT of Vigilant Strike. If its there to guarantee the application of the buff it would probably be better to just make it apply the effect before the attack, like the teleport in flicker strike. Although there would have to be some kind of range check which I'm sure is already in there somewhere.
Last edited by KateM on Mar 31, 2015, 6:42:25 PM
"
KateM wrote:
I see a lot of posts about RT. I doubt that the fortify support gem will grant 100%hit chance to the supported skill in addition to the defensive boost. If you use Vigilant strike + some kind of end. charge generator you could use it as a main attack in which case your build could skip RT. However the builds that currently use other attack skills + RT, will still need it.

What is RT?
I meant it as a main skill: easily used with Multistrike + (whatever you want); and Endurance Charge on Melee Stun on Vengeance/Reckoning/Riposte setup. Too OP the never miss + 165% of base dmg + crit + no need for AS + guaranteed Fortify, don't you think? At least with my suggestion of reducing the cooldown by 2 secs for every endurance charge used will not really allow you to spam the attack just like someone with endurance charges invested in the passive tree/quests.
"
KateM wrote:
I see a lot of posts about RT. I doubt that the fortify support gem will grant 100%hit chance to the supported skill in addition to the defensive boost. If you use Vigilant strike + some kind of end. charge generator you could use it as a main attack in which case your build could skip RT. However the builds that currently use other attack skills + RT, will still need it.

"
Puf_Alb
What is RT?
I meant it as a main skill: easily used with Multistrike + (whatever you want); and Endurance Charge on Melee Stun on Vengeance/Reckoning/Riposte setup. Too OP the never miss + 165% of base dmg + crit + no need for AS + guaranteed Fortify, don't you think? At least with my suggestion of reducing the cooldown by 2 secs for every endurance charge used will not really allow you to spam the attack just like someone with endurance charges invested in the passive tree/quests.

RT is Resolute Techniques. Its a keystone on the passive tree that causes all your attacks to never miss but also cause them to never cause critical strikes. My post wasnt about yours. It was in reference to the posts about current builds that use RT not needing to anymore. I think that your suggested change related to the end. charges solves a problem that doesnt exist. I think that spamming it is fine because of the extra setup needed. Even with the 165% it still wont be as OP as the top builds.

That being said I would still like to see the "cant be evaded" changed to something that would allow misses to trigger the buff, or at the very least, make the critical strike chance 0 like Incinerate.
Last edited by KateM on Mar 31, 2015, 7:24:59 PM
Can't wait to give melee another go!!
"Accountability is the perfect counter-weight to ambition." -Dominus, High Templar
"
Even with the 165% it still wont be as OP as the top builds.

I doubt that statement very much... Especially since I don't know what you mean by top builds (melee vs ranged vs spell or just top melee build mjollner?)... Please clarify. Otherwise, I think I can think of a guide if all remains the same... But I doubt that too lol
interesting!
♦▲◄▼►▲♦ @Kadush ♦▲◄▼►▲♦
Did you guys choose 25% just so it would seem like you wernt 100% ripping off D3s reduced damage to melee classes?

After borrowing this much from D3 in bloodlines and this skill, can we stop playing inventory tetris yet?
Last edited by Byrr on Apr 1, 2015, 12:14:03 AM
another destruction to evasion based builds in PVP GZ GGG

RIP PVP POE

this skill is totally OP

As this guy said

"
Puf_Alb
What is RT?
I meant it as a main skill: easily used with Multistrike + (whatever you want); and Endurance Charge on Melee Stun on Vengeance/Reckoning/Riposte setup. Too OP the never miss + 165% of base dmg + crit + no need for AS + guaranteed Fortify, don't you think? At least with my suggestion of reducing the cooldown by 2 secs for every endurance charge used will not really allow you to spam the attack just like someone with endurance charges invested in the passive tree/quests
Last edited by alshabibi7 on Apr 1, 2015, 12:47:35 AM
"
Weißenberg wrote:
I beg your pardon? I'd rather say I suggest to even things out. You can't eat the cookie and have the cookie. If you're by your own choice playing evasion you shouldn't be able to get any bonus that is [or should be] logically related to strength and armor. Not to mention that evasion already has its own fair share of defensive keystones (Acrobatics, Phase Acrobatics, Ondar's Guile) whereas armor doesn't have any additional defensive buff except of recently added Soul of Steel. I'm basically talking about taking a consequent approach towards the game mechanics, if Acrobatics don't mesh up well with armor for very obvious reasons then Fortfiy shouldn't fully benefit evasion.

Math would like to say hello.

Player A with 40% damage reduction from armour and Player B with 40% Evasion will benefit exactly the same from Fortify.

And suddenly your whole long winded point is moot.

To be blunt, your suggestion simply sucks because it's incredibly opinionated.
You arbitrarily decide that only Armour-based Melee need help.

And just in case you feel like changing the topic to armour vs evasion, even if there is an unbalance, you don't fix it with a flat % improvement.
You fix it by changing the formula of Armour - it's too weak against strong hits and too strong against weak hits. Smoothen it out on both ends and make armour also reduce damage before critical multiplier applies and you have your balance.

And again, if you want Vigilant Strike to benefit Armour more than Evasion, you don't need any special rules - just make Fortify reduce damage BEFORE armour.
That alone will be a huge benefit for Armour, because Armour works best against weak hits. Therefore making a hit smaller BEFORE armour kicks in makes armour that much better at mitigating the hit.
Forum Warrior - Why are you creating a thread about this subject? Use Search!
Also Forum Warrior - Nice necro.
Last edited by Nurvus on Apr 1, 2015, 2:20:44 AM
Skill definetly needs some kind of drawback for evasion otherwise there would be no point in playing armour over evasion with so much flat physical damage reduction in the game.

6 endurance charges + vigilant is already 49% flat reduction, add in 4% keystone and lightning coil and you have 83% flat physical reduction with a whooping 0 points of armour (or whatever armour lightning coil gives).

Skill should have something like "cannot evade, dodge and block while fortified"

I guess we'll see when 1.4 comes out

Cheers, Necro
My guides
HC melee ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/507976
HC RF scion: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/666667
HC RF marauder: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/842382
RF resource guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/832331

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info