New Skill Development - Vigilant Strike

Awsum, but give some love to dual wielding...we need a new dualwield gems perhaps :)
Cool! Perfect for me!
I was just thinking about what I should use for the upcoming leaugue. I wanted to roleplay a character I used to have in another game that could be very hard hitting and had a lot of life.
Guess i'll play around with vigilant Strike then! :)
"
Necropotence wrote:
Skill definetly needs some kind of drawback for evasion otherwise there would be no point in playing armour over evasion with so much flat physical damage reduction in the game.

6 endurance charges + vigilant is already 49% flat reduction, add in 4% keystone and lightning coil and you have 83% flat physical reduction with a whooping 0 points of armour (or whatever armour lightning coil gives).

Skill should have something like "cannot evade, dodge and block while fortified"

I guess we'll see when 1.4 comes out

Cheers, Necro

You don't need a drawback.
Just make Fortify reduce damage before Armour does and Armour will be extremely benefited over Evasion.

And again, Vigilant Strike is not the way to balance Armour vs Evasion.
Make Armour a little weaker vs small hits and a little stronger vs big hits; AND reduce damage BEFORE critical multipliers & you're on the path of balance.
Forum Warrior - Why are you creating a thread about this subject? Use Search!
Also Forum Warrior - Nice necro.
Last edited by Nurvus on Apr 1, 2015, 12:10:00 PM
Nice job, Daresso Defiance, will be great with that Vigilant strike... :)
If melee is weak, compared to ranged, than give melee a buff that has no opportunity cost. Add the fortify buff to all melee-only skills. Support Gems & Skills that grant fortify have an opportunity cost, another gem & the time it takes to use a skill. This is a whiff GGG, sorry.
So as a damage melee skill , it deals half the damage of Molten Strike , for a 25% higher mana cost and a colossal four second cooldown that can be expended by reducing your physical damage reduction trough endurance charge depletion.

The buff is nice, but the skill is god awful, the power creep is gigantic in POE and this one falls near the bottom, next to sweep.
Arbitrary placeholder decisions should never be embraced as final.
"
Nurvus wrote:
"
Weißenberg wrote:
I beg your pardon? I'd rather say I suggest to even things out. You can't eat the cookie and have the cookie. If you're by your own choice playing evasion you shouldn't be able to get any bonus that is [or should be] logically related to strength and armor. Not to mention that evasion already has its own fair share of defensive keystones (Acrobatics, Phase Acrobatics, Ondar's Guile) whereas armor doesn't have any additional defensive buff except of recently added Soul of Steel. I'm basically talking about taking a consequent approach towards the game mechanics, if Acrobatics don't mesh up well with armor for very obvious reasons then Fortfiy shouldn't fully benefit evasion.
Math would like to say hello.

Player A with 40% damage reduction from armour and Player B with 40% Evasion will benefit exactly the same from Fortify.

And suddenly your whole long winded point is moot.
Please, can you point out where exactly did I say that it won't? Because I'm fairly sure that I said evasion shouldn't fully benefit from Fortify, which as you alrady noticed is an opinion. Because that's what a forum is for, to share opinions. Not necessarily to agree on every matter discussed. It's against any form of logical thinking to believe that evasion based characters should fully benefit from a feature that is contrary to the way evasion works. If we reverse positions for a while, how would you react if I said armor based characters should fully benefit from Acrobatics and shouldn't be an object to any nerf resulting from taking the keystone? Can you imagine a 300 lbs Marauder with a 100 lbs armor on him performing all kind of fancy moves taken straight from a ballet lesson? Because you see, contrary to what you might believe in, the mechanics of armor are logic-based. And all I'm trying to do here is to urge GGG to continue following their logical approach. Because making evasion based characters benefit from Fortify without being limited in any way is nothing else than a very special way of saying "fuck logic".
[2.4] Riff Raff - under 1ex Reave RT DoT Gladiator: http://poeurl.com/C6q
Last edited by Weißenberg on Apr 1, 2015, 4:08:49 PM
Can't evade sucks when you are an evasion build on the receiving part of the skill. Let's see how this will play out when this skill arrive at some random exile or grandmaster.
"Hey man, nice shot"
Brisa guild leader,
"All challenges" seeker.
Looks cool, and I definitely expect someone to try and make this a main skill with Enduring Cry (no longer selfcasted in 1.4). I'd be interested in doing it too, but I don't see how people play with single target skills at all, and the melee splash gem isn't that great at being able to clear packs as fast as true AoE builds.
fortify on vigilant strike is a nice idea but:

1) just link to endurance on melee stun and you can spam this all day, not sure a skill with this kind of damage should have the opportunity to be spammable (and cooldown is easily bypassed, just see flicker strike), which leads to

2) if only this skill has fortify, people will just use that melee skill (+eoms linked) and that will make other melee skills even less used

all in all, this is a problem that needs to be taken care of before the skill coming out

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info