New Skill Development - Vigilant Strike

Vigilant Strike + Mind Over Matter :D

It would be awsome :D

Vigilant + endurance charge on melee stun + melee splash + multistrike = sick 4 link :D
"
s3t wrote:

Vigilant + endurance charge on melee stun + melee splash + multistrike = sick 4 link :D

won't work AFAIK
IGN TylordRampage
"
Nurvus wrote:
"
Weißenberg wrote:
As a melee-only player I'd like to add my two cents to the discussion.

I definitely like the concept of Fortify. I also agree that linking the buff to an existing movement skill would be hard to implement. But, including Fortify in a seperate melee skill can result in the whole idea becoming a major failure. And here's why:

As already announced Enduring Cry will be no longer triggered by CwDT meaning melee characters will now have to cast Enduring Cry and hit with Vigilant Strike in order to benefit from both buffs. And that is contrary to improving melee survivability as the prep time is going to take too much time in order to be useful. Also, one might feel that we're being pushed back from a partially automated playing style into some kind of do-it-yourself scenario. Which takes away a lot of fun. A support gem shouldn't be an option either which I'll explain later.

And therefore my suggestion would be to create a Fortify keystone.

Fortify
Enemies you hit with a melee attack grant the following buff:
Cannot evade enemy attacks,
Reduces damage taken by 25%,
Reduces movement speed by 10%.

This would make much more sense, you're fortifying yourself, so you're slow, attack-prone, but you take far less damage. Also this would make the buff available for generic armor based melee chracters, because as I see it now the main beneficiary of Fortify is going to be evasion/dodge based crit dagger Shadow/Ranger.

Of course, there's still a chance such a keystone will be implemented as you said you're working on it, but you should definitely scrap the Vigilant Strike if you don't want to the already overpowered group of characters to abuse one more skill.

So you want to nerf evasion builds for no reason?
That makes no sense at all.
I beg your pardon? I'd rather say I suggest to even things out. You can't eat the cookie and have the cookie. If you're by your own choice playing evasion you shouldn't be able to get any bonus that is [or should be] logically related to strength and armor. Not to mention that evasion already has its own fair share of defensive keystones (Acrobatics, Phase Acrobatics, Ondar's Guile) whereas armor doesn't have any additional defensive buff except of recently added Soul of Steel. I'm basically talking about taking a consequent approach towards the game mechanics, if Acrobatics don't mesh up well with armor for very obvious reasons then Fortfiy shouldn't fully benefit evasion.
[2.4] Riff Raff - under 1ex Reave RT DoT Gladiator: http://poeurl.com/C6q
Last edited by Weißenberg on Mar 31, 2015, 4:40:55 PM
The skill is too OP. Instead of "cooldown can be BYPASSED by expanding an endurance charge", change it to "cooldown can be REDUCED by 2 seconds by expanding an endurance charge"...
Build possibilities + 100

Endurance charge Flicker Strike style skill...I love it!
"
Jedi_blr wrote:
Fortify need to be only 2h mele buff at all, cos only 2h dont have block/spell block or +max res from shields . So its so dumb to do this skill open for all mele hits. GGG you will regret it in future.

this

"
Puf_Alb wrote:
The skill is too OP. Instead of "cooldown can be BYPASSED by expanding an endurance charge", change it to "cooldown can be REDUCED by 2 seconds by expanding an endurance charge"...

but with Vigilant Strike we loose immortal call, so reduce cooldown with endurance charge is true
IGN: HardyHard_FireFly

Big thx GGG for this great game :)
Last edited by v1br0 on Mar 31, 2015, 5:18:11 PM
"
but with this gem we loose immortal call, so reduce cooldown with endurance charge is true

please elaborate, i can't follow
"
Weißenberg wrote:
As a melee-only player I'd like to add my two cents to the discussion.

I definitely like the concept of Fortify. I also agree that linking the buff to an existing movement skill would be hard to implement. But, including Fortify in a seperate melee skill can result in the whole idea becoming a major failure. And here's why:

As already announced Enduring Cry will be no longer triggered by CwDT meaning melee characters will now have to cast Enduring Cry and hit with Vigilant Strike in order to benefit from both buffs. And that is contrary to improving melee survivability as the prep time is going to take too much time in order to be useful. Also, one might feel that we're being pushed back from a partially automated playing style into some kind of do-it-yourself scenario. Which takes away a lot of fun. A support gem shouldn't be an option either which I'll explain later.

And therefore my suggestion would be to create a Fortify keystone.

Fortify
Enemies you hit with a melee attack grant the following buff:
Cannot evade enemy attacks,
Reduces damage taken by 25%,
Reduces movement speed by 10%.

This would make much more sense, you're fortifying yourself, so you're slow, attack-prone, but you take far less damage. Also this would make the buff available for generic armor based melee chracters, because as I see it now the main beneficiary of Fortify is going to be evasion/dodge based crit dagger Shadow/Ranger.

Of course, there's still a chance such a keystone will be implemented as you said you're working on it, but you should definitely scrap the Vigilant Strike if you don't want to the already overpowered group of characters to abuse one more skill.

There's some valid points here^

Also, the concept started just fine, adapting melee meta with an unique movement type skill, or support type gem. Not progressing this idea is a shame.

Melee pays off survivability because of the playing style; the solution Imo doesnt lie on another dull face-to-face attack, no matter the damage, you still have to hit. Desync/monster mods/tileset/human error, are just some factors that aren't been taking in account.

Thank you Rory for your time, gotta read 'em all.

Back to The Melee (Reaving Insight): view-thread/1240462
Fusion Skill Engineering: view-thread/1095291
Finally some good reading. :)
I like skill, but that Vigilant effect? Come on! I looks like almost every melee character will be the "star". Am I only one who like inconspicuous effects? We have also buff icon, right?
I like the skill a lot, I just think an endurance charge should buy you 2 second off cooldown. This makes is usable as a defense mechanism for a melee with just 3 end charges, but not really abusable, as it seems to be now. So you choose to go crit dagger reave with no extra end charges, then you get the 25% less dmg for 3 secs and you can either not use end charges and just lose the 25% reduced dmg for 1 sec or use 2 of your 2-3 charges to get the reduction again.
I just don't think this should be abusable by someone who has the 3 base endurance charges and just gets no miss incredible 165% of base with no cooldown...
Last edited by Puf_Alb on Mar 31, 2015, 5:34:36 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info