UMBRA (new ARPG )

@Sneaky

From their KS page

"
We do not have other financial backing, but this is a choice made in order to remain in full control of the game. We are confident in our game and are working hard to expand it and to make it even better.

"
Is $225 000 really enough to fund your game ?

The short answer is “yes”. That is why we ask for $225,000.
We also have stretch goals, which provide for more features, if we are fortunate enough to achieve the stretch goals.
We are so pleased that everybody likes the quality of our work. We are being compared to very big games. I think maybe this is the source of concern for our development budget. In a way, we take this as a great compliment!
The work you have seen so far has been produced for a budget of zero. This shows that we are committing our own time, at our cost, and that we can achieve a lot!
The full-game design phase is done and all the planning. The budget is calculated based on our project schedule and the staff and resources required to produce the game. There is nothing included for us, until the game is on sale.
Over the last few years we have learned a lot and we believe we have the right foundation to move forward into full production. We have formed great partnerships with excellent providers and we have created a very efficient production pipeline. The last 4 years have been spent, not only on what you can see, but all the development tools and design work necessary.
So, if we are funded, we can focus 100% on game content creation using the various tools we created, in addition to the CryEngine tools which are a very valuable asset for us.
The more funding we raise the more features we can include!

Don't know... 225k seems like nothing to be honest. But who knows. They've been paying for development out of their own pocket until now, so maybe this is just for the final stretch so they can focus on development full time? Game is offline, so server costs should be low(ish) and most of the engines they use are under indie-license (pretty much free as far as I understand).

Only thing that I'm missing is an actual financial plan & release schedule- what is this money actually spend on?
"Fixing the endgame was hard - No matter how hard we buffed red maps, people would keep spamming Gorges.
So we turned Gorge into a red map"
I for one am happy to read:

“We are fully committed to Umbra and to staying independent; there are no publishers or private investors behind us. We hope that Kickstarter will allow us to remain this way and enable us to deliver Umbra true to our original vision.”

They said they have been working on it for 4 years out of their own pockets also, and that in the last year they've gone full time.

Also they said the game is very much playable already and they seem pretty confident players will see that already from the pre-alpha demo some backers can get to play in a couple of months.

The good thing about no investers or publishers if freedom, it has the potential to deliver the highest quality product, like all art. It's the same in the music industry, and every other industry. All the best i know came up on their own doing their own thing. It is the best way although also the hardest.

If you investigate you will find that they are very intelligent in their choices of technology. For example they are using a very advanced ai that saves them tons of programming by doing things automatically, the same one being used in star citizen. Not only that, but turns out umbra was the first game that the ai was used in so it's probably gonna be a crazy good fit and not feel like some badly matched system - it would have been developed alongside it and new things tested in it.

They also use a megascan technology that allows them to scan real life objects to create in-game objects much faster and save tons of precious time.

These guys aren't fools even though loads of ppl just put them down because their own mental conditioning to put down new games just because. I mean have you even looked at what they have released already? This game is gonna be either very good or absolutely insane, it screams quality in all aspects.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
They may not have other backing, but does this include their own finances`?
I am sure they saved up some money or got bank loans etc.
“Demons run when a good man goes to war"
Oh yes, don't misunderstand me. I think the game looks amazing & was happy to support the KS. Even if it takes another 2 years before they can release a final version I've been very impressed of what they have so far!
"Fixing the endgame was hard - No matter how hard we buffed red maps, people would keep spamming Gorges.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeHo5C63R7o

Etalyx (youtube VG streamer) trying it.

-Demo skills no balanced
-classical melee attacks not very interesting
-sound is not great for now
-think game price is cheap
-think the game could be delayed a bit

I always been surprise Etalyx never tried POE on his channel.
Forum pvp
Last edited by lolozori on May 24, 2015, 6:10:43 AM
Live q & a panned for the 27th on twitch:

Edit: Original image link didn't work, so uploaded to imgur... Source: https://umbragame.com/ks-update-5-home-sweet-home/
Last edited by qwertz on May 24, 2015, 9:08:28 AM
"
lolozori wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeHo5C63R7o

Etalyx (youtube VG streamer) trying it.

-Demo skills no balanced
-classical melee attacks not very interesting
-sound is not great for now
-think game price is cheap
-think the game could be delayed a bit

I always been surprise Etalyx never tried POE on his channel.

Those points sounded very negative when i first read them. Watched it and it's not negative. He is basically saying the tech demo isn't balanced and that spells feel far more worked on than melee at this point plus many sound effects are messing. In the tech demo.

-

Okay, I have stalked this game quite a lot looking for flaws and I can tell you something about the potential of this game.

It is extremely rare that I promote anything with this fury, but I played computer the most of my lifetime, and ARPG's at least 95% of that time, so you might say I live for ARPG's.

There has not been a game with this potential since Diablo 2.

Cross your fingers they keep continuing on the path they are on, but damn, their choices and everything it feels "right" to me, even down to things like them asking for very little money and not asking for money for themselves but only what is needed to develop the game, like paying sound artists etc, they did not even calculate any money for themselves. They have been working for 4 years pretty much nonstop even on their weekends, you can feel the passion, they want to make the best game, end of story, and they don't care about the money as they are in this for the glory.

Plus they have all the elements that can potentially mix up to the future of ARPG's.

They have the right mindset, they are taking inspiration from all the best games, Diablo 1, 2, 3 and Skyrim as their prime sources, plus I am damn sure they have been inspired by PoE as well, because let us face it, you cannot escape PoE, it is the best ARPG on the market. Just look at their flasks, they are apparently taking the concept even further if I understood it right.

They have the best graphics I have seen in an ARPG. Not only great in detail, but the theme as well and the atmosphere too, it feels like a diablo game.

They have a strong story that feels in place and integrated with the whole game. Story is integral to leading games and fantasy worlds - if the story doesn't feel realistic then the game will never be the base of the future. That's end, it just does not happen otherwise, because it lacks the direction from purity of vision. It attracts too many crowds when the story + the gameplay is right(in the good way). The more elements are right in a game the greater the crowd becomes, exponentially, which leads to confidence and cultural momentum, which in turns allows the game to become something much greater - you will for example never see another wow again, never that every little quest or item you went on wowhead to look up had a million comments, directions, people investigation it in detail or descriptions of bugs and issues, nor so much time being put into developing content. These things that propel games into super-greatness require people following it, it cannot be done without support of the gaming culture.

They are not afraid to gather the best ideas seen in ARPG's and use it as their "base". You often see insecure copycats steal ideas, but great minds knows when an idea has set the new standard and does not try to change it just to appear original, unless they believe they have a better idea - groups who are not afraid to do what is best will also create the best product, they are confident in their own ability to conceive the greatest product and so are not hindered by any fear of people misunderstanding them, by insecurities interfering with the quality.

We will see if it turns out well. My only concern is multiplayer, and they have not even mentioned PvP which is another important core element of D2. I hope they are aware what a diamond they are working on and don not use it for a primarily single player game. I do not think so however, because they already stated that they are ARPG players and know how important multiplayer is to an ARPG, and this is clearly their greatest work thus far spending many of their prime years dedicated to it. They said they needed to do it right instead of making false promises. Support them so they can go through with it all, the industry might not see another chance like this in the next 10 years or more.

They revealed some plans for ladder cheat protection. They also said they would make a hideout that you can show other players and inside the hideout you can apparently make a mini dungeon, when it gets added to the game, for other players to test themselves against, etc. They clearly want the social aspect in the game with player interaction and you can tell they build the game up to do just that as well. I really hope they do not make it mostly singleplayer, that would be such a great chance lost. Also when I emailed them they didn't answer my question on multiplayer and trading systems etc, I think they haven't quite made their mind up yet, but are in the process of digesting it.

There are so many people judging and badtalking like they are used to with all random games and kickstarter projects, but I just laugh when they talk about umbra - they don't get it, they don't see it and they don't live for "that". The people who are quick to fire off standard comments here went out early and having a field day, also in this thread there are lots of those comments, it is typical ignorance of masses they, do not see one from the other until it proves itself so they can see it right in front of them, in other words they do not understand what they are looking at.

Anyways, the elements of their seemingly great talent in all aspects make for an explosive cocktail, we will just have to see how it will turn out. Still, on the merit of its potential alone it deserves to be supported a hundred times over. You do not see a game that has the potential to be the true evolution of Diablo 2 every day, not every year nor even every decade.

And that, ladies and gentlemen,

is why Umbra is worth supporting more than any other ARPG out there.

//Khaop
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on May 24, 2015, 12:09:19 PM
"

Don't know... 225k seems like nothing to be honest. But who knows. They've been paying for development out of their own pocket until now, so maybe this is just for the final stretch so they can focus on development full time? Game is offline, so server costs should be low(ish) and most of the engines they use are under indie-license (pretty much free as far as I understand).

Only thing that I'm missing is an actual financial plan & release schedule- what is this money actually spend on?

You can easily feed ten people for a year for that money and I don't think their team is much bigger.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
Cant wait for it to come out!!! Its going to blow every ARPG games

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info