UMBRA (new ARPG )

"
choopk1993 wrote:
Cant wait for it to come out!!! Its going to blow every ARPG games

Umm. what?
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
I was bored today so I went over to the D3 forums to check out the PoE threads over there(always a good laugh). It's a good thing I did because I stumbled across a thread for Umbra. The game looks like it'll be great, already backed it at the Duke level.
Looks like SolarFall ripped off of GGG.

1. Potions are exactly the same in number and location.

2. Life and mana are located in the same spots. PoE has life/ES while Umbra has life/rage (if I recall correctly). Then mana (mana/ES/EB after the expansion) and stamina/mana.

3. Skill hotbar is located in the same exact spot. The only literal difference is one spot, the middle mouse button.

4. Game has the same goal; characters that can start on an even playing field (or thereabouts) and pursue any path they wish (just about).

I really wish Umbra wasn't so stupid as to directly rip off the same exact layout as another game.

Spoiler
Assuming Umbra ripped off of PoE instead of the opposite since PoE is actually released and Umbra isn't even funded yet.
"
Natharias wrote:

2. Life and mana are located in the same spots. PoE has life/ES while Umbra has life/rage (if I recall correctly). Then mana (mana/ES/EB after the expansion) and stamina/mana.

3. Skill hotbar is located in the same exact spot. The only literal difference is one spot, the middle mouse button.

4. Game has the same goal; characters that can start on an even playing field (or thereabouts) and pursue any path they wish (just about).

I really wish Umbra wasn't so stupid as to directly rip off the same exact layout as another game.

Spoiler
Assuming Umbra ripped off of PoE instead of the opposite since PoE is actually released and Umbra isn't even funded yet.

You can say PoE ripped off diablo as well. Anyway once its out PoE gonna be a wasteland kekeke.
"
Natharias wrote:

There's only so much new stuff you can come up with in this genre. Might as well say that poe ripped off diablo... ;)

Regarding the layout - they did say they were heavily inspired by poe and the game it's not even in alpha yet. Chances are they'll change the layout before the release.
"Fixing the endgame was hard - No matter how hard we buffed red maps, people would keep spamming Gorges.
So we turned Gorge into a red map"
People should calm down about 'rip offs' I mean who cares as long as it's a fun game?
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
Anyone who is whining about it being a rip off doesnt seem to understand how iterative the gaming industry is. All games look at previous games, find what worked and what didnt and then blend, mix and match, and combine until one game its it perfect and create the base of the game. Then from there you temper those commonalities with original content to create a good game. A true "Rip-off" in the game industry is when you rip off the story and setting and then put a new face on it, or copy over all the peices of a few games without trying anything new whatsoever. From what I've seen Umbra is a common iterative creation tempered with good looking original ideas.

Side note, out of the ES games I've played Skyrim is the worst. Still a good game, but I very much disliked the dumbing down of the level system and some of the other options which I have NO idea why they removed (hand to hand and Spell Creation)
"
choopk1993 wrote:
You can say PoE ripped off diablo as well. Anyway once its out PoE gonna be a wasteland kekeke.

"
There's only so much new stuff you can come up with in this genre. Might as well say that poe ripped off diablo... ;)

Regarding the layout - they did say they were heavily inspired by poe and the game it's not even in alpha yet. Chances are they'll change the layout before the release.

Both of you, good job at completely missing the point.

The layout is exactly the same. The only literal difference is the flavor of the layout (like there being no UI "holding" everything together, making it more transparent).

Of course ARPGs are going to have a life globe in one spot and a mana globe in another. But taking EVERYTHING and putting it in the SAME SPOT?

Try reading. For the love of God, please.

"
Xavderion wrote:
People should calm down about 'rip offs' I mean who cares as long as it's a fun game?

So it's okay for two companies to make a very similar game?

I'd much prefer to have two very different games, thank you. The last thing I want is to play one game, enjoy it, and then go to another game and find the same experience. Playing the same game is boring enough. Playing something very similar is not going to be worth my time.

So "fun" doesn't go with games that rip off of others.

I'm not going to spend $60 on another CoD game just to get the campaign. The multiplayer, which is the main reason to play, is going to be 95% exactly the same. Same weapons, same loadouts, same amount of loadouts, same perks, same grenades, same everything. Why spend $60 when it's worth $6?

And then there's Pillars of Eternity. It's asking $45 for a game whose only truly unique and original quality is its story. Baldur's Gate was only ~$30, and now it's ~$20. Baldur's Gate offered much, much more. The combat is still just like Fallout and Elder Scrolls; it gets boring and repetitive very quickly.

So while there's nothing "wrong" with ripping off other games in the sense of having a life globe in the same spot, mana globe, and experience bar at the bottom middle, there is much wrong with ripping off the same gameplay. Umbra is just like PoE. I already stated this.
Soon as I saw cry engine I cringed...
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
"
Natharias wrote:

The layout is exactly the same. The only literal difference is the flavor of the layout (like there being no UI "holding" everything together, making it more transparent).

Of course ARPGs are going to have a life globe in one spot and a mana globe in another. But taking EVERYTHING and putting it in the SAME SPOT?

There is an expected design from an arpg design, and there isn't as much wiggle room for change in the UI as there may be with other genres. I guess it comes down to a stance on if they did enough to differentiate their UI. It seems clear you see it as an all but clone. I'm not sure I agree, but I can certainly see where you are coming from. The positioning and elements are startlingly similar. They did make some changes, and while their specific flair is present, I do feel comparison is unavoidable. Maybe it is just a rough draft. Maybe when it reaches a more finalized form, it will seem more distinct.

I do have a question Natharias. If the publishers acknowledged they got a lot of their inspiration from PoE for the GUI, and used elements from it because they liked it. If that happened, would you be okay with it? Would acknowledged inspiration still be a 'rip off' ?

I still remember the original PoE UI. It was very very similar to the UI of Diablo 1. These days it has differentiated itself more. If they ad more and tweak things, maybe the feel of ... cheapness(?) when seeing elements lifted from another game, could be alleviated.
"I would have listened... I would have understood!" - Scion

Have you removed Asus ROG/GameFirst yet?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info