Mechanics thread

Added Lightning Damage. It even got buffed by a large amount last patch.
"
raics wrote:
Yes, it's three separate hits, each will apply shock and take advantage of the one applied by previous hit. That's the reason equilibrium works poorly with multiprojectile spells.

So, scenario 2.

Thanks for the confirmation. Makes Added Lightning a MUCH more attractive option compared to either Added Cold or even Faster Casting as far as a crit based FP build is concerned.

"
kompaniet wrote:
How can freezing pulse shock. Isn't that cold damage?

Yea my bad, I forgot to mention that it was added lightning + GMP. Edited my post.
do dots douple dip on shock? (i challenge you to say that phrase 10times quickly without the "on shock" part^^)

p.e. puncture's, adder's, and ignite's base dot damage is based on the hit damage (thus increased modifiers will increase the base hit) does the actual dot damage then gets multiplied by 1.9 due to triple shock stacks?
Yep. Always been that way, too.
Hello, I have a question regarding "Increased shock duration" and the minimum amount of damage required to trigger a shock.

According to the wiki ( http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Shock )
"
If the duration would be less than 300 milliseconds, the shock effect is not applied. The maximum, unmodified shock duration from lightning damage is 9.2 seconds.

Is increased shock duration applied to the formula before it is compared to the 300ms minimum duration or after? Or in other words: Does increased shock duration reduce the amount of damage required for triggering a shock?
IGN: Pirteloli
"
Tom94 wrote:
Does increased shock duration reduce the amount of damage required for triggering a shock?

Yes, unlike stun where magnitude of the hit is used to determine stun chance and duration is completely separate.
On shock, chill and freeze duration is also used to determine if the status effect will happen, so increasing it will reduce the damage amount needed to trigger.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Jan 9, 2014, 6:12:01 AM
"
raics wrote:
"
Tom94 wrote:
Does increased shock duration reduce the amount of damage required for triggering a shock?

Yes, unlike stun where magnitude of the hit is used to determine stun chance and duration is completely separate.
On shock, chill and freeze duration is also used to determine if the status effect will happen, so increasing it will reduce the damage amount needed to trigger.

Thanks for the info. May I go a bit further, just to make sure? Do you know whether the percentage of damage of the mob's effective maximum health is treated as an integer or floating point number?

Essentially I want to know, whether it is possible to shock an enemy even if the lightning damage is less than 1% of its effective maximum health, which would only work if the percentage - within the calculation - is not rounded.
"
Tom94 wrote:

Thanks for the info. May I go a bit further, just to make sure? Do you know whether the percentage of damage of the mob's effective maximum health is treated as an integer or floating point number?

Essentially I want to know, whether it is possible to shock an enemy even if the lightning damage is less than 1% of its effective maximum health, which would only work if the percentage - within the calculation - is not rounded.

Probably irrelevant. If your enemy has 3k health you need to go over 33 damage to pass the 300ms mark, that much is easily achievable even on low levels and on enemies that have much more health decimals on 1% of it will be insignificant.
Also, large fluctuations of lightning damage will make you unable to pinpoint and tune in onto the threshold for a certain shock anyway, so just get as much as possible and see if it works, if it doesn't - add more.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Jan 9, 2014, 7:50:34 AM
Not sure but i think the game make a formula like this :

shock duration in ms :(damage dealt /max life)*276*(1+%shock duration) and then make a comparaison to know if the duration is superior to 300 ms.

If so it doesn't need to use a rounded percentage of life.
"
raics wrote:
"
Tom94 wrote:

Probably irrelevant. If your enemy has 3k health you need to go over 33 damage to pass the 300ms mark, that much is easily achievable even on low levels and on enemies that have much more health decimals on 1% of it will be insignificant.
Also, large fluctuations of lightning damage will make you unable to pinpoint and tune in onto the threshold for a certain shock anyway, so just get as much as possible and see if it works, if it doesn't - add more.

For me it's not irrelevant at all. I did the maths and I do need the increased duration thing for being able to shock endgame bosses (77/78 maps). Since I have around 10 APS even a 300ms shock is sufficient for me to relatively quickly apply 3 stacks with a high chance to shock and keep them up due to the increased damage they provide.
However if I can't manage to trigger a 300ms shock on bosses, then the whole anger + added lightning damage thing is useless to me, since I don't need shock on low-HP monsters while having over 100k DPS.

You are right, though, I can just test it and see whether it works as soon as I got the 6L. Was just wondering whether someone would already know this, so I wouldn't have to invest the regrets to spec out of static blows again.

(What I am trying to do is to apply shock with cyclone while my main DPS source is RF.)

"
Kissan wrote:
Not sure but i think the game make a formula like this :

shock duration in ms :(damage dealt /max life)*276*(1+%shock duration) and then make a comparaison to know if the duration is superior to 300 ms.

If so it doesn't need to use a rounded percentage of life.

You are lacking a divide (or multiply, depending where you put it) by 100 in your left hand side to make it correct. Then the left hand side _would_ be the percentage of damage dealt relative to the mob's effective maximum health, which again gets multiplied by 276.
This formula doesn't tell me in any way whether this is rounded or not, though, since it could either be calculated as a floating point number or an integer (which could make sense, considering that dealt damage and life both always are round numbers).

Guess I will need an answer from one of the people who actually programmed this for such kind of information. :/
Last edited by Tom94 on Jan 9, 2014, 1:20:12 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info