Melee is the worst bullshit ever in poe

"
Here's another issue, based on what I'm reading here: some people expect the same clear-speed and damage output across the board. If it's not optimal, they just won't do it.

I should think it obvious that in a game like this, ranged will always be either clearly optimal or so blatantly inferior no one plays it. As I've said before, most other games balance between ranged/casting and melee by making melee much easier to sustain since it doesn't really take much in the way of resources. Casting, however, typically eats more mana/energy and has longer preparation time and archery (even D2 did this, bless the stars) has limited ammunition.

Without limiters like this, spamming ranged will probably always be the way to go. You can sustain your resources very easily here, and ranged keeps you out of danger.

The only people who play melee in PoE are those that genuinely enjoy it. If you don't, don't go chasing that waterfall. Please stick to the rivers and lakes that you're used to.

not really

most other games (arpg games to be clear) balance melee and casters by class exclusive skills and perks.

in pretty much any ARPG I picked up over the years (quite a few) besides PoE, there are rigid class types. this allows devs to be lazy with work over balance. you feel like warrior/soldier/barb is squishy, give him a defensive skill/perk/passive. bam, lots of problems solved.

melee/caster disbalance would be far less if PoE had rigidity of classes. but it doesn't. whats ironic is that the game kinda got away from the initial beta of 'anyone can be anything' mantra at the release, so now we have classes that still have some achetype (ie, no one will be making a trapper that is a marauder or duelist and no one will be making a bow witch)

this is probably a topic for another thread, but feels like class flexibility really doesnt provide that much benefit nowadays, and the downsides are pretty steep imo.
"
What melee needs, and marauder/duelist in general.

1. Determination should be a flat armor aura, analogous to grace, make it less if need be.( Its too difficult to get an adequate level of armor when starting out without grace/IR. Having this option will make armor/melee builds more flexible without the need for uber gear).

2. Iron reflexes should be in the marauder/duelist transition and not the duelist/ranger one. (Analogous to the above)

3. The average bell curve for weapons is way to far to the left. Once a league you might get a weapon drop that is worth building a melee character for. The dps from having an uber weapon vs some average weapon is exponential vs the difference of having an uber spell wand vs a good spell want. Again making melee more in need of uber gear.

4. I would argue that 90% of deaths are from elemental damage. Marauder/duelist needs more options for elemental damage reduction. Introduce again max resist nodes in marauder area, or even further increase hp.

5. Rare chests need some sort of buff, maybe a chance to roll a rare stat like those found in unique chests.

6. Add weopon area nodes in duelist, move mom top behind EB.

or... "x % of elemental damage taken as physical damage" nodes.
"
Here's another issue, based on what I'm reading here: some people expect the same clear-speed and damage output across the board. If it's not optimal, they just won't do it.

I should think it obvious that in a game like this, ranged will always be either clearly optimal or so blatantly inferior no one plays it. As I've said before, most other games balance between ranged/casting and melee by making melee much easier to sustain since it doesn't really take much in the way of resources. Casting, however, typically eats more mana/energy and has longer preparation time and archery (even D2 did this, bless the stars) has limited ammunition.

Without limiters like this, spamming ranged will probably always be the way to go. You can sustain your resources very easily here, and ranged keeps you out of danger.

The only people who play melee in PoE are those that genuinely enjoy it. If you don't, don't go chasing that waterfall. Please stick to the rivers and lakes that you're used to.

Melee is for people that hang out on the passenger's side of their best friends ride.

"
"
yungwhiz wrote:
"

Melee is for people that hang out on the passenger's side of their best friends ride.

WOOHOO MORE TLC REFERENCES.

No, I don't want big numbers
No, I don't trap or mine
No, I don't wanna cast no spells
No, I don't want none of your ranged.

lmao next level
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
"
4. I would argue that 90% of deaths are from elemental damage. Marauder/duelist needs more options for elemental damage reduction. Introduce again max resist nodes in marauder area, or even further increase hp.

The problem with adding raised max resist nodes is that resists currently cap at 75%. When you toss in 8% from a shield, 10% from a potion, 4% or more from an aura... well, you start to wind up awfully close to 100% reduction if you allow anything else to raise it.

They really need to chop max resists down to 50% and adjust gear, nodes, RF's self damage, and mob damage accordingly. Then they could actually put a few nodes that raise max resists by 5% or more each in the bottom half of the tree.

Alternately, they could implement a max max resists cap. Make it impossible to exceed 85% or something. Then they could add nodes that move melee toward that goal, but the existence of alternate means to raise resists when needed plus the point cost would serve to discourage others from taking it.

And I agree on the hp bit. I'd like to see str give 1:1 instead of 1:2.
Last edited by Axterix13 on Dec 26, 2014, 7:28:25 PM
Ive been trying to run a viable Melee build and based on what ive seen and my exp in other games... we just need to have more tankyness period!! ESPECIALLY against Elemental Damage!! \m/
Clear speed and such shouldnt be the issue here.... in normal RPGs... DPS Melee are damage dealers and have to back out at times or get healz.... Tanks are Melee which means they stay in there and take all the damage they want while holding it down for the group!! so why not keep the tanky builds with slow clear speed while the DPS specs of Melee have the clear speed they want while haveing to be careful about the damage they take? right now... NO Melee can take much as far as elemental goes!
Armour needs work IMHO!! Especially with the nerf to shields!
There is a fine line between Consideration and Hesitation.
The former is Wisdom, the latter is Fear.
"
StormHunter wrote:
less survavability, less damage, more desync compared to bow/spectral throw/casters and what does ggg do, they nerf it even further, 0/10 for balance in poe

Agreed that melee sucks.
The block thing technically hurt everyone -- it wasn't a targeted nerf.

---

The closer the player voluntarily gets to enemies, the more the player should be rewarded*.

"Melee" is not just a "swing a sword" thing in PoE either, it also includes close range casting (Tendrils, Ice Nova, Incinerate) and close range archery (Point Blank/Chin Sol). By contrast, builds which are very very far from enemies (summoners, totemers, chain projectile attacks, and Spectral Throw "melee") should be anti-rewarded.

Offensively, the player should be rewarded with large amounts of extra damage, extra magic find, and faster movement (to get between packs more quickly).

Defensively, the player should be able to survive in melee range, but not much more than that as taking unnecessary damage is the risk inherent in closing the distance.

I don't see a way to offer meaningful player choice in this regard in the current engine. PoE2, maybe. Until then, fuck melee.

Obviously this is not a realism thing, since realistically, you should never approach an enemy if you can kill it without doing so.
Last edited by pneuma on Dec 26, 2014, 7:46:13 PM
"
pneuma wrote:

I don't see a way to offer meaningful player choice in this regard in the current engine. PoE2, maybe. Until then, fuck melee.

How about a invisible buff that says if you kill a monster in melee range you gain 50% chance to find rare item and 20% quantity with the addition that party loot is allocated with a greater chance to you if it was your kill in melee range.
"
pneuma wrote:
The block thing technically hurt everyone -- it wasn't a targeted nerf.

It certainly feels targeted :(

Block was the single crutch that 1H Melee Builds (in the HP/STR areas of the tree) had to lean on. Sadly there wasn't really an elegant solution for 2H except to get a legacy kaoms and/or be pseudo-ranged with Ground Slam.

75/75 Block does not even begin to approach the same level of damage avoidance that a build can enjoy by virtue of being offscreen.

Having played a max block build to level 100 I still stacked over 8k HP because stuff still hits you all the time. Whilst max block + 8k HP might sound OP, the reality is that DPS is a form of safety also. For all those defences I only had a paltry 25k base town DPS with a mirrored dagger.
Loath Bane

Case in point.
An extremely difficult map....... for some. My 300k dps reave shadow did a similar map just yesterday. By comparison, his defences are terrible, nonetheless he fucking destroyed the boss fight. One Magaera only had time to cast one firestorm the fight was over so quickly.
IGN: Victory_Or_Sovngarde
It's not a 13 week development cycle, it's a 13 week supporter-pack cycle.
You can play any build you want, as long as it's the current meta.
Last edited by Ashen_Shugar_IV on Dec 26, 2014, 9:45:05 PM
"
zzang wrote:
How about a invisible buff that says if you kill a monster in melee range you gain 50% chance to find rare item and 20% quantity with the addition that party loot is allocated with a greater chance to you if it was your kill in melee range.

That is way too good.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info