Fan Art - Shadow & Death's Harp

Very cool!

nitpicking: I had the impression that the legs are a bit short, but this light spot between the legs seem to be background, not part of this "trouser-wrapping-thing". It looks a bit strange, I'd change it.
Dynamit,
Architekturkritik, die man tatsächlich sieht!

Farin Urlaub
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2nz5q9
"
MasterGono wrote:
This was more an excercise to learn how light and colours are working together when painting over it, and to create believable textures and surfaces for the different materials.

That's why I wanted to see the original, too. The hint was already in the first picture, though ;-). I'm not saying that paintovers are bad in general or that they require no skill - good ones actually do - but personally I think those "exercises" should not be published, not even as fan art. At the very least I would state in the original post more clearly how it was done, i.e. that the screenshot was a bit more than just "reference". No offence intended, just my opinion. :-)
Last edited by Alysma on Nov 20, 2014, 5:00:10 PM
Yep, I understand your concern. That's also why I put the word "art" in quotation marks and mentioned that I used a screenshot in my initial post - and why I would never participate with something like this in an actual art contest. Imo it's obvious anyway as the pose is the same of the character ingame.
I just thought that at least some parts of it are a little eye candy and I wanted to share it with other PoE players, while also looking for feedback (which I got) because something felt wrong. I didn't had any intention to "cheat" or trick someone. :)

Btw, just generally about the use of screenshots (not so clumsy like I did it here): It's very common now to use screenshots and photos for the artwork of computer games, even for AAA titles. There is a lot of "cheating" going on in concept art and game art nowadays, but it is a perfect way to capture the mood, colours and light of the game, while saving a lot of time (= money).
I've just recently seen an official art piece for a huge AAA title with a unmodified photo for the sky - and the same mountain cropped and copy/pasted again and again to create a land scape. :D

Wow this is actually pretty cool. Do more!
IGN: ImmortalFang
Just wow

10/10

Wow! that is really good.

I am not sure i would want it on my wall.....but it is really good. Is there a page on here somewhere for a fan art collection? Then this game first started there was a number of forum threads dedicated to fan fiction, perhaps a fan art page would be a good idea.

Forum signature
"
MasterGono wrote:
Spoiler
Yep, I understand your concern. That's also why I put the word "art" in quotation marks and mentioned that I used a screenshot in my initial post - and why I would never participate with something like this in an actual art contest. Imo it's obvious anyway as the pose is the same of the character ingame.
I just thought that at least some parts of it are a little eye candy and I wanted to share it with other PoE players, while also looking for feedback (which I got) because something felt wrong. I didn't had any intention to "cheat" or trick someone. :)

Btw, just generally about the use of screenshots (not so clumsy like I did it here): It's very common now to use screenshots and photos for the artwork of computer games, even for AAA titles. There is a lot of "cheating" going on in concept art and game art nowadays, but it is a perfect way to capture the mood, colours and light of the game, while saving a lot of time (= money).
I've just recently seen an official art piece for a huge AAA title with a unmodified photo for the sky - and the same mountain cropped and copy/pasted again and again to create a land scape. :D

Yes, there is such a thing as "mixed media" in digital art but at the very least label it correctly so that people know what they are actually looking at. :-)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info