anyone else play grim dawn?

"
joebagz wrote:
I tried very hard on multiple occasions to get into this game.

I've concluded that it has absolutely no charm outside of the art style.

The fights are boring, the particle effects are out of place and intrusive and your character always feels weak and sluggish. Combat feels like a chore instead of actually being fun. You are always kiting something and double backing.... just not fun overall imo.

The endgame and item system looks great but unfortunately the game just does not give me any reason to want to keep playing it to get to that point. It's very well made but misses the mark with engaging the player and keeping them interested. Maybe if the engine wasn't so dated it feel much better to play.

I feel the same way. It's a snooze-fest. Honestly, it's barely an ACTION RPG outside of it having some of the same tropes.

GGG hit a goldmine with POE's Flask system. Gives you a reason to keep in/around the action. Beats the pants off potions with/without cooldowns. Really hope ARPGs of the future take note of the flask system in POE but, somehow I almost NEVER see ANYONE mention it despite never seeing anything like it before. Like WTF is up with that? Maybe I haven't played enough video games, maybe this shit's been done to death???

Anyway back to Grim Dawn: None of the skills interest me. The combat is ludicrously boring. Enemy AI is a drag. When I try using ranged abilities, it seems like everything gets in their way. And worse, ranged enemies will keep firing into the obstacles, too. It's just a mess IMO
"In a state of physical balance and security, power, intellectual as well as physical, would be out of place."
- H. G. Wells, The Time Machine
"
Sairven wrote:

Anyway back to Grim Dawn: None of the skills interest me. The combat is ludicrously boring. Enemy AI is a drag. When I try using ranged abilities, it seems like everything gets in their way. And worse, ranged enemies will keep firing into the obstacles, too. It's just a mess IMO

Totally disagree about this.

Ai is fine and the fact they fight each other D1 style is a plus for me.
Ranged not overpowered? Well At least a game were you can t click to win 50m from danger.

Skills are kind of classic but put away poe flashy effects and more or less we have the same.
Forum pvp
Flasks are a great concept, but allow less fluidity of combat in boss/single-tough-enemy-no-minions fights and more trips to town compared to Potions.
on the other hand I agree Potions allow just running away from combat and healing up.
so each concept has its pros and cons.

as for "just a mess" that's not fair at all.
the game has bugs yes - but what Crate achieved with what they had and the amount of imagination and ability they have... to make a game, which I consider in many aspects to be even better than its predecessor (Titan Quest) - is absolutely astonishing.

you can love PoE without completely branding another great ARPG as trash, only because enemy AI occasionally attempts to shoot at you through a wall.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
"
lolozori wrote:
"
Sairven wrote:

Totally disagree about this.

Ai is fine and the fact they fight each other D1 style is a plus for me.
Ranged not overpowered? Well At least a game were you can t click to win 50m from danger.

Skills are kind of classic but put away poe flashy effects and more or less we have the same.

This is why I need to stay away from the internet. People just want to argue without bothering to read what others typed. Check what I typed again. Not talking about Ai fighting each other. I'm talking about ranged AI uselessly firing into walls.
"In a state of physical balance and security, power, intellectual as well as physical, would be out of place."
"
johnKeys wrote:
Flasks are a great concept, but allow less fluidity of combat in boss/single-tough-enemy-no-minions fights and more trips to town compared to Potions.
on the other hand I agree Potions allow just running away from combat and healing up.
so each concept has its pros and cons.

as for "just a mess" that's not fair at all.
the game has bugs yes - but what Crate achieved with what they had and the amount of imagination and ability they have... to make a game, which I consider in many aspects to be even better than its predecessor (Titan Quest) - is absolutely astonishing.

you can love PoE without completely branding another great ARPG as trash, only because enemy AI occasionally attempts to shoot at you through a wall.

You're taking my personal preferences too personally. Chill it, dude.
I'm not taking anything personally.
I'm just saying a fair unbiased view of a game is pros and cons. likes and dislikes. strengths and weaknesses.

not "game is trash because I found one bug that annoys me".
seriously dude.

you didn't like the game and that's perfectly fine, but stating that as the reason why - makes you sound like those reviews at Metacritic with "0 users found this helpful".
the ones I never read.
and yes I do read both positive and negative reviews even for a game I think is awesome. helpful ones.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Apr 19, 2016, 2:09:04 PM
"
Sairven wrote:

This is why I need to stay away from the internet. People just want to argue without bothering to read what others typed. Check what I typed again. Not talking about Ai fighting each other. I'm talking about ranged AI uselessly firing into walls.

Why so tense? Since when not agreeing with someone trigger safe space reaction that much.

You say Ranged skills are less than efficient because clutters, trees and shit. I find it is a good way to balance a type of play that usually trivialize any difficulty (like in poe).

You share your opinion about it on public space, Why can t you understand people could disagree?

Yea maybe internet not the best place for you, too much social interaction.
Forum pvp
Last edited by lolozori on Apr 19, 2016, 1:54:29 PM
I think I get the problem, you're confusing me for others who've said near-the-same thing. PArtly cause I'm having a rough day, making it difficult to get across what I mean.

Mostly just venting my frustrations with the game. Still playing it, still plan on continuing. I've been at ARPGs long enough to know it takes more than 30-40 hours to get into one, especially with the depth this one has.

That said, there ARE problems with the AI. Sometimes enemies will get stuck in walls, fruitlessly gesticulating while I rip their comrades apart. Heh, if they didn't, there'd be even more kiting. Then there's the congo lines I frequently notice enemies forming. Ehh... there's just too much to type about and honestly, if you can't tell by the puke of supporter titles over there, I've work to do! lol
I got this game two days ago, and I agree with some of the criticisms here.

I also think this game is hard to compare with PoE. Gameplay-wise it's a simpler game that harkens back to simpler times. Feels very much like Titan Quest, and not at all like PoE, D3, D2, or Torchlight.

Slower, simpler gameplay. With some nice complex crafting and itemization to keep us interested in the drops. Probably a better match for whiskey-drinkin' than PoE. I think I'll enjoy it.
Wash your hands, Exile!
One thing that bugs me for now (just one lvl 40 char into the game) is the environment. While the zones are very beautiful and immersive, the whole map seems to be pre-made, completely static. No random map / dungeon generation?

Well, I guess you can't have both: random generation & beautiful organic environment.

But I'm loving it so far. Throwing molotov cocktails & using rifles is a nice change :)
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Apr 22, 2016, 4:04:47 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info