[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"

I got 75% block and spell block, lack of hp (3,7k), armor (3k with determination), and dps (9,3k with hatred only). I also find it too difficult to attack using mana (only 67 unreserved mana). Rest are good.
If you can think of few affordable option to optimize my gear, it'll be great. And yes, I'm using tabula rasa because I can't purchase 6l carcass/LC or even rare in beyond atm :P

Hey, rickyrey.

Your stats look fine for your level.

First, you can safely drop one of the life leech items are get 2% mana leech there instead.

Next, Your reduced mana gem is still too low usually to run two 60% auras at once. Probably need another level or two on it (or just buy one).

Your duelist area is fine, want to pick up water dancing eventually since you are there. Since you skipped faith and steel might want to get steel skin.

I noticed you had to get two 30 int nodes, those could be put toward the travel to witch area for blast radius, life, spell block for only 5 more travel nodes.

Overall, we get a little more dps from the nodes taken in the standard build than from the duelist area as you spend 17+ points in there.

What you have will work though, I did consider a similar setup and we in fact used something like that for year(s), but decided what we have in the guide now is a tad better overall.
"
intraining wrote:
I want to say "thank you" for the build. I haven't played Path of Exile since open beta, and was behind on a lot of things concerning the game. The walkthrough of this build and your extremely detailed explanation of the complimentary mechanics made everything a breeze. I haven't had trouble on one boss or mob yet, and am enjoying it all very much. Still looking to improve a few pieces of gear, but what I currently have gets all maps I've tried (up to lvl 78) done with 0 error. Anyone coming back from hiatus, or just looking for a very fun and very easy build should definitely try this one.

intraining! Nice gear and good setup. I appreciate the kind words. Every day I play in public groups something happens to show that this approach is definitely valid. Today the group had a cyclone discharger as group lead and he used vaal cyclone and discharged into a large pack -- the whole group except me died in the 10 second screen freeze lag. I was left standing all alone and finished the map, and did a Zana mission inside of the map, all solo, and came out very well loot wise, while everyone else was unfortunately left with an experience penalty to make up.
Back in PoE with Forsaken Masters after a break from the game, and the Lazy Pally is still my preferred build to play. It fits my play style perfectly, and I love how flexible it is both gear wise and gem wise.

Unfortunately, I don't have that much time to play as I used to, so I don't get to play every day, and rarely more than an hour or two in a play session. So leveling is slowly, and I am still only level 61. Reaching the end of Act 3 Merciless things are getting harder though. Just got Library, Lunaris and Sceptre of the God left to complete before it's time to start mapping.

Found out that the reason why I have a hard time in the later stages of Act 3 Merciless that I am 5-6 levels underleveled as the remaing areas are level 66-67.

Maybe it is time for me to start grinding a bit to gain a few levels and hopefully upgrade gear before finishing Merciless and moving on to maps.

My current gear:

I need to find a weapon update as well as I have been using that Axe since Act 2 Cruel or there about lol. Also need a weapon that will allow me to start using Reave.
"
Stefacle wrote:
Back in PoE with Forsaken Masters after a break from the game, and the Lazy Pally is still my preferred build to play. It fits my play style perfectly, and I love how flexible it is both gear wise and gem wise.

Hi Stefacle, thanks for the update! Yes, I think I went back and 'farmed' earlier areas to overlevel a little bit before proceeding to finish merciless. I recall doing Solaris then Lunaris a lot and avoiding Kole back then.

One thing, you can trade with another player for a white 5-link chest for typically 1 chaos and then alchemy it. If you don't get a good life roll, scour it, then alchemy again. This way you can upgrade your chest for a very low cost.

Don't forget the new master crafting as well, most of your gear has room for one more mod from that.
Last edited by Sovyn on Sep 23, 2014, 5:25:08 PM
Thank for the response Sovyn.

I know there is room for improvement on my gear, but I was planning to wait with trading and crafting until I get into maps.

All I have traded for so far is this:

Other than that I have just gone for the best gear that has dropped.

Once I am done with Merciless I'll probably try to trade for a 5L chest as you suggest, could be fun to see if I can craft something good on my own, and should be easier now with the masters. Still haven't got the masters leveled much though. Most of them are level 3 or 4 atm I think.

Also gonna see if I can get a good pdps claw for Reave. I like claws as they have good life leach.

Gonna try using Vaal Reave as well, it seems to be really fun, and good for clearing large packs in maps :)
Why not acrobatics? I would prefer to drop some 1h dmg nodes near shadow and take acrobatics. Why not?
"
craftman1999m wrote:
Why not acrobatics? I would prefer to drop some 1h dmg nodes near shadow and take acrobatics. Why not?

mmmm.. wrong thread? Anyway, Acro/phase would take 9 points to get....would have to give up quite a bit... and would cut our armor in half. I do like to have a little armor to smooth out random small physical hits that get through. We already don't get hit much. I think it would be hard to prove if this is a good approach or not.
Personal note - I've been experimenting with Herald of Ash after 1.2.... I dropped the 8% attack speed and 10% physical near weapon artistry and grabbed a 4% reduced reserved with the two points. Once my reduced mana support gem reaches 20 (it's 19.7% or something) I'll be able to run hatred, grace and herald of ash on mana with 100% reserved, and will have to use blood magic support instead of melee damage on full life/added fire. Remains to be seen if it's worth dropping 2 dps nodes + 1 dps support gem.

My notes -

reave w/ melee full life, hatred 16,447
bm reave w/ hatred 11,170
bm cyclone w/ added fire (instead of multi), hatred 9,055

after removing 8 attack speed, 10 phys dmg nodes -

reave w/ melee full life, hatred 15,376
bm reave w/ hatred 10,445
bm cyclone w/ added fire , hatred 8,549

the above with herald of ash -

reave w/ melee full life, hatred 17,026
bm reave w/ hatred 11,551
bm cyclone w/ added fire , hatred 9,261
"
craftman1999m wrote:

Acrobatics leaves you open to the inevitable one shot. It works well with builds that focus on killing stuff before it can hurt you (eg. CoC archers or shadows using flicker strike). Which typically requires really expensive gear.

The core idea of the lazy pally is:
1. survivable
2. doesn't require a lot of precision button mashing
3. cheap... =)

Sovyn's related a few anecdotes, and I'm sure we've all seen em as well, where you're mapping with the latest uber build/gear and in a second they get destroyed while we're left standing.

And as Sov mentioned, you're giving up a heck of a lot of functional nodes for the transit nodes (dex predominately which doesn't help this build much) to get there.

Irt herald of ash, I think the only practical way to do it and not use BM is to have an Alpha's Howl. The two other notable devices to reduce mana (prism guardian, mortal conviction) both enforce BM as part of the solution, making it not viable for a health based build.

Also, if you're looking at BM, perhaps think about the master gloves that increase leech rate by 30%.

Also out of curiousity, has anyone tried to alchem/scour those things? Does it remove the 30% leech rate bonus or is that an innate on the item?
"
Saviourself wrote:

Irt herald of ash, I think the only practical way to do it and not use BM is to have an Alpha's Howl. The two other notable devices to reduce mana (prism guardian, mortal conviction) both enforce BM as part of the solution, making it not viable for a health based build.

Thanks for bringing this up, coincidentally, just before you posted, I put on one of the Alpha's Howls I've found and tested with that. Not pleased with losing a ton of armor, life and chaos resist that my current helmet provides. But it's great for testing!

I don't quite have enough mana left over (49) to sustain 6-link reave (41 cost with the 20 quality concentrated effect). I can sustain about 80% of the time though, which I'm sure is credit to my extra mana regen items.

For long term solution, I'll probably try something else. :) Or, forget using Herald of Ash, which is not a bad choice either.

Honestly, even with only 6% life leech and 1% regen on tree, the blood magic gem is not that bad with reave in particular, it's just the loss of that socket for dps support that is bothersome. With cyclone on the other hand, it's easy to find oneself at half life without having taken a hit from a monster. This due to the high cost and desync.

Will keep tinkering.
Last edited by Sovyn on Sep 25, 2014, 10:21:30 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info