[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
Ivanhoe2014 wrote:

Main hand attack speed increase 356%

I can hardly see any attack speed increase on your gear and passives is not even close. However you managed to get 6 APS which I find insane :P

Hi, probably mostly multistrike + faster attacks supports. :) I have a little speed on my gloves and a bit on the tree too. Yeah, I do swing like a madman. :) Reave scales well with attack speed.
I just started playing POE a couple of days ago. I would like to go for a melee templar build even though some say that I should go with a ranged-combat build.
I have been reading material here in the forum, reddit, and looking at videos on Youtube. I like your build. I have two questions. Would this build still be good for a newb? Do you have any suggestions based on the latest patch in the passive skill tree or in the active skill area? I was a devoted D2 player. POE has some interesting depths; you build your own character. Thanks for sharing your info in this thread.
"
I just started playing POE a couple of days ago. I would like to go for a melee templar build even though some say that I should go with a ranged-combat build.

Hi Victor. :)

I was really into D2 on and off for over a decade as well.

This build is good for starting out as it is straightforward and easy to play. You also don't need fancy gear and just gems that you can get for free from quests. It is even possible, with some help with Dominus to play self found into maps, which is not even really intended.

The guide is current, the linked skill trees are still my recommendations.

Even though you are a d2 vet, don't start out in hardcore as PoE has its own set of "gotchas" you need to learn first. Make no mistake, this is a challenging game! :)
Thanks! I have a Level 10 templar in Rampage. I have only allocated one skill point so far. When I get 10 points I will populate the tree further.
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUABVs=
Hey Sovyn, awesome guide! I'm pretty new and am making a Scion following this. Currently around lvl70. Just had a few questions...

- Under the Curses section you recommend using Enfeeble as an active spell. However, you also included Enfeeble in the first CWDT. Why's that? Wouldn't it make more sense to have one of those be a different curse like Vulnerability?

- My DPS is absurdly low... like 1.5k using Reave. What's the best way to increase DPS? My sword does 70-140 damage, which I don't think is all that bad. I'm using Determination and Grace, by the way.

- I'm having mana issues and am considering picking up a pair of Slitherpinches. Probably 3-linked so I can put my auras in them. Is that an item that I'd be able to hang around with late game? I'm using a Mana Leech gem but I'd like to get rid of it in place of another.

I think that's all for now...
"
gh0stwr1t3r wrote:
Hey Sovyn, awesome guide! I'm pretty new and am making a Scion following this. Currently around lvl70. Just had a few questions...

- Under the Curses section you recommend using Enfeeble as an active spell. However, you also included Enfeeble in the first CWDT. Why's that? Wouldn't it make more sense to have one of those be a different curse like Vulnerability?

- My DPS is absurdly low... like 1.5k using Reave. What's the best way to increase DPS? My sword does 70-140 damage, which I don't think is all that bad. I'm using Determination and Grace, by the way.

- I'm having mana issues and am considering picking up a pair of Slitherpinches. Probably 3-linked so I can put my auras in them. Is that an item that I'd be able to hang around with late game? I'm using a Mana Leech gem but I'd like to get rid of it in place of another.

I think that's all for now...

If you want to link your gear, go up to the top left and click on your account portrait. You will then see your character etc, I believe it's ctrl-alt-click on a piece of gear to add it's code to the post.

I'd hazard a guess that your DPS is probably because your weapon is slow. DPS is worked out as followed:

add all damage, including elemental together/2 * weapon speed = average dps

eg.
241 dps
294 dps
401 dps

The first two weapons have significant amounts of elemental damage, which will not be effected by +physical damage (the primary dmg increaser for the lazy pally build).

Other factors, number of links for your main attack, what you've got stacked with it, level and quality of gems etc.

edit: I would also recommend ditching determination for hatred (added cold damage) or if you are a bit mana choked or prone to working solo, herald of ash/ice. Keep it around, but I've found that I don't really need it anymore in the high 80's. With the lazy pally defenses, you will very rarely take two big physical hits in a row (armour only reduces phys dmg) and if you have a fast flask, you're usually at full health before it can be an issue.
Last edited by Saviourself on Sep 16, 2014, 8:19:38 PM
"
Thanks! I have a Level 10 templar in Rampage. I have only allocated one skill point so far. When I get 10 points I will populate the tree further.
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUABVs=

Yeah, at first, skill points barely matter. :) The first big thing is Resolute Technique really.

A crest of perandus is good to trade for too, once you find an alchemy orb (best deal) or fusing orb (OK deal) or chaos orb (ordinary price) to barter with.
"
gh0stwr1t3r wrote:

Hi gh0stwr1t3r!

1) Vulnerability is good and I use it sometimes on CWDT for clearing. The problem is it will overwrite your enfeeble on bosses, which can be a little bit riskier. If you want to pop it off before the harder bosses, great. I suggested the lazy way in the guide!

2) As saviorself recommended, you can try hatred instead of determination, but that's more of an endgame thing, IMHO. Low DPS is usually caused by not having the right support gems or levels/quality on your gems, and most often by not having a good weapon for your level, one that you have outgrown. You can tweak it up a little with flat physical dmg on rings, gloves.

3) Mana problems are usually caused by having too many/wrong supports on your attack, and secondarily by running two 60% auras before your reduced mana support is high enough level (17 at least). Mana leech @2% is recommended, and some mana regen on gear if possible. Slitherpinch has been used by several friends into the low 80s, which is still a long ways off for you, so a good value for the low cost. Rare gloves and rings are better and 2% mana leech can be had from one of these items, but it does take a little more hunting than the slitherpinch which is everywhere.
Just managed to reach level 68 with this build, how the hell am I suppose to get a 1000 evasion plus vall buckler following the crafting guide?
"
Lulzdzi wrote:
Just managed to reach level 68 with this build, how the hell am I suppose to get a 1000 evasion plus vall buckler following the crafting guide?

It's tough because as you use higher ilevel gear (higher tiers of mods rely on higher ilvl items), you increase the chances of getting a crappy mod.

The good news is, when you're mapping in 72-77 areas, you gain access to the top tiers of mods and sometimes can get lucky... =)

Spoiler

Couple of pretty GG shields in there, although I have seen a 1300 odd evasion shield before.

http://www.poemods.com/index.php?item_type=shield

See the armour/evasion type shield, fortunately you're kinda lucky that are limited in prefixes, but you will never roll 1000+ evasion on a blue because the two mods required (evasion rating and +% to evasion rating) are mutually exclusive (blue items can only have 1 prefix and 1 suffix).

Physical Dmg To Return To Melee Attacker
Local Armor Rating
Local Evasion Rating
Local Armour And Evasion +%
Local Armour And Evasion +% / Base Stun Recovery +%
Base Max Life

If you were crafting, you would be aiming for one of the following, probably evasion first because you're specifically crafting for high eva:

Vapourous (evasion)
Hero's (% evasion/armour)
Fecund (live)

+ a whatever suffix you get.

Roll a regal and hope for 2/3. Then either stick a masters prefix for the missing stat, or try to exalt it (which is, needless to say, bloody expensive).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info