[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
MildlyClever wrote:
looks like there will be a passive tree wipe (guess reset option?) with release!

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/534940/filter-account-type/staff

Not sure if this build would be affected much - but we might get some new awesome nodes!?

There will be some different options for sure. We don't route through the middle of the tree, so we could pretty much stick to the current guide as the perimeter nodes are not changing that much, but I'll be taking a look when PoE 1.0 is officially live on October 23rd.

The node that converts 30% of damage taken to use mana rather than life is interesting for example, and it's right along the bottom route. And the additional endurance charge nodes may become interesting to the "lazy pally" depending how well the new trigger gems work out.

All of that will remain speculation for quite some time after the patch as I'm self found. I'd need to test any changes personally to see my way clear to changing the guide as it works pretty well as is. :)
True Sovyn -the build shines as it is anyway

GranNiN, good to hear on the level! Gratz - Now that you are getting used to the 5L, very soon you wish you had a 6L haha (I do, and I blew up all the fuses I had over time - a LOT easily - on trying to 6L a 6S chest I found :D

Lets do some more maps this weekend - as I think that is the only time we are on at the same time, due to time differences - and try not to die. Good news is that since both our IIR/Qs suck, we dont run the risk of any item lag on screen :D

P.S: that is a very nice sword Maggsi!
"
Sovyn wrote:
And the additional endurance charge nodes may become interesting to the "lazy pally" depending how well the new trigger gems work out.

I don't remember if it has been discussed already but using shield charge as movement skill
i made a try linking it with endurance charge on melee stun as i had some spare links on my shield
without changing anything in my way of playing it's free endurance charges and it's not too hard to maintain, it should also work with leap slam
it made my life really easier :)

Mildly, yes let's go for more maps together this weekend
i already kept some physical reflect ones for you :)
Some addition feedback after doing maps and reaching lev 77 (well, almost)

I changed skill tree a little bit, didn't go for ondars guile (only 22% evade so not much point anyway) and took 2 extra endurance charges. (71% damage reduction and 79 all res)
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAAecCcQSzBS0GORLhFCAZLhoyGjgaVR0UHSYhYCNNJ-0oxTAZMok0NTboQDZAoERyR35MNU99UEdRYFPfVw1X4ljbWfNgS2EhZKNlTWaebI1uaXA-cH1yqXTtecB673zZgFaExITZhO-HKZBVkc6ZK5uDns2gtKIAouqnMKeEqZWrxayqrK-0-bndvYG-p8APwBrBB8OGxLjSIdJN1I_V-Nd-2WHnkeeu7Dju2e8O8B_yL_MG877z3fe--tL7qg==

With lots of mana and life leech I can use 5L without mana or life leech gems. 5.6k dps (unbuffed) on heavy strike with this sword

Shield
gives me around 4K armour and lots of life.

So I did some maps alone or in group, I can survive pretty much everything (a bit difficultwith 50% less mana/life regen mod). Today 6 man group got wiped out in few minutes and I survived screen full of unkillable bandits (aura) without using potions.
I could stand in pack of GMP voidbearers in 68 map while rest of group died within few seconds.

I think about dropping tempest shield for hatred. I got TS linked with blind but I kill thme before they blind themselves so I may as well switch to hatred. I'd have to get couple 2% block nodes though.

On bosses I use
with frenzy linked to rarity/quantity gems. Just for that little extra :).

Overall it's fun and really tanky build to play. Died 5 times: 1st at lev 60 in barracks in screen full of champion guards with mages, once to kole when I was trying how long I can tank him :), and 3 times to desync (that's a bugger). Usually desync doesn't bother me but I got teleported into room I never stepped into.

Edit: Just out of curiousity: if I had all gems at 20% how much more damage I'd do? just roughly what would it be? 10%, 20%??
Last edited by gfurm on Oct 8, 2013, 8:08:19 AM
"
gfurm wrote:

I think about dropping tempest shield for hatred. I got TS linked with blind but I kill thme before they blind themselves so I may as well switch to hatred. I'd have to get couple 2% block nodes though.
Edit: Just out of curiousity: if I had all gems at 20% how much more damage I'd do? just roughly what would it be? 10%, 20%??

The official guide build uses Hatred instead of Tempest. It is a nice DPS boost.

Your Added Fire Damage gem would be 15% higher fire damage if it were 20% quality.

Melee Splash would gain 20% larger AOE radius so you might hit monsters that otherwise would not have been hit at all. It's a DPS boost that is hard to quantify.

Melee Physical Damage support would gain 10% damage at 20% quality.

Multistrike would gain 10% Melee Physical Damage at 20% quality.

Heavy Strike would gain 15% attack speed at 20% quality.

All together it would be a big difference. A lot of GCP though. You could level them to 20 then do the vendor recipe to convert them to level 1 20% quality gems and re-level them. Lot of patience required, but relatively cheap.
to answer my own question: 15% lev 8 heavy strike in my setup does the same damage as lev 18 non quality. So I think it is significant improvement :)
I also cringe when I see the 50 less regen mod pop up. I changed my mana flasks to the slowest possible fill time, and it helps a lot. I think Saturated does that. My other flasks filled the globe too fast, but with this mod and the slowest fill flask, I can sometimes go 7-8 seconds before the globe tops off. Probably highly dependent on attack time/mana/etc.. but it helped me and wasn't obvious at first what could offset the annoyance of always running out of mana on that mod. Maybe mentioned elsewhere, so apologies if double posted... Actually, I don't recall any opinions on potions used on this guide, but I've got a pretty bad memory.

"
Sovyn wrote:

The official guide build uses Hatred instead of Tempest. It is a nice DPS boost.

Your Added Fire Damage gem would be 15% higher fire damage if it were 20% quality.

Melee Splash would gain 20% larger AOE radius so you might hit monsters that otherwise would not have been hit at all. It's a DPS boost that is hard to quantify.

Melee Physical Damage support would gain 10% damage at 20% quality.

Multistrike would gain 10% Melee Physical Damage at 20% quality.

Heavy Strike would gain 15% attack speed at 20% quality.

All together it would be a big difference. A lot of GCP though. You could level them to 20 then do the vendor recipe to convert them to level 1 20% quality gems and re-level them. Lot of patience required, but relatively cheap.

I was wondering what level the character has to be (roughly) to get the gems to 20?
I was planning on using the gcp recipe, I'm currently lvl 81.5 and my gems are about lvl 18.5.
not sure if I'll ever get there :)

thx!

(I'm thinking about buying the gems, but that's gonna be fairly expensive)
"
butteryone wrote:
... Actually, I don't recall any opinions on potions used on this guide, but I've got a pretty bad memory.

I may have mentioned instant (bubbling, seething) life flasks in the past, I really should write something about this in the guide.

Of course, everyone's needs are different. All I need are life flasks, at least a couple instant.

Granites are not very lazy. Mana flasks not really needed, at least for me. I do run out periodically in 50% less mana regen maps, but it's not bad with my 4L heavy strike and 2% mana leech.

Perhaps I'll mention the slow mana flask situationally, thanks for the idea.

By the way, I think slow life flasks with armor or evasion are interesting. You can see in my current gear that I have a flask with armor -- it was not a slow flask but that's what I was aiming for when crafting it. Not as good as a granite, but a noticeable freebie when healing up.
Last edited by Sovyn on Oct 9, 2013, 6:16:30 PM
"
tommigee wrote:

I was wondering what level the character has to be (roughly) to get the gems to 20?
I was planning on using the gcp recipe, I'm currently lvl 81.5 and my gems are about lvl 18.5.
not sure if I'll ever get there :)

Yeah, it's a long road unless you have a regular mapping group. I'd guess level 90.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info