Herald of Ice

"
Jess_GGG wrote:
Post your feedback for this skill here!

Make sure you concisely state your character build, level, and other complimenting abilities you have when you talk about a skill - The more we know about your character, the better we can understand your feedback.

I am unsure about how effective the skill is yet. I've got a number of mixed opinions. I am in the process of testing several of the following combinations:
- HOI - Reduced Mana - Inc. AoE - Added Light/Conc. Eff./Add Chaos / Add Cold / Cold Pen / Ele Prolif.

The only thing that I have come up consistently is the freeze effect from proliferation produces a noticeable difference. The kill speed or clear speed is difficult to measure because Ice Spear does a very good job at killing things. I am also very surprised at how HoI does not have a base crit chance. If I was to draw a conclusion based on my test results it would be that this is a very good status ailment (freeze effect) but compared to Herald of Ash seems to be significantly poorer in design. I would be very interested to see how this would evolve if the skill had a crit chance or a percent based explosion on its AOE damage.

Character Parameters:
- Level 80
- Build Crit Ice Spear (life based)
- I've grabbed all of the witch area nodes and am planning on using Carcass Jack.
- 530% crit multiplier
- 199 mana regen.
- Arctic Armour lvl 16.
Last edited by Basically_Aldin on Sep 4, 2014, 5:31:27 PM
One thing it is good for is clearing stragglers,the enemies that tend to be left with a sliver of life and require a second cast.

Possible strategies I see with this is getting the AoE big enough to overlap the explosions although with mobs that have similar life pools it makes it difficult to strategise on.The perfect situation I think with it is a unique/rare in a tight group of trash mobs or using Vaal Cyclone and forcing a overlap which is probably overkill except if you grab a again unique/rare.

EP does make a difference since normally only way to get HoI to freeze is with chance to freeze mods.Higher chance with EP on main skill but spreads it more if on HoI.
How about making it work with skill like Detonate Dead? Now DD is "cast" but not "spell" so that it gains no benefit from HoI. I agree that DD is not necessarily gains spell damage benefits, but I don't see the point that HoI doesn't work with DD.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
"
the dmg effectivesnes of herald of ice is 30% what does that mean the added dmg or the explode dmg?

I would also like more clarification on this. I don't understand what the purpose is of having this modifier on the skill, especially since you can't really modify the buff damage through support gems and the like. Why not just give it a lower base damage.

Does the damage effectiveness apply to both the buff component and the explosion component? If it applies to the buff component, is the damage listed on the gem pre or post modification?

Even though this is listed as a spell, does bonus spell damage apply to the explosion, and then only to the modified damage of the actual spell you cast, or is there actually a way for spell damage to modify the damage dealt by attacks through the buff?

Would be nice to see the full equation of how modifiers play into the buff, when the effectiveness is applied, etc.
Diamond Supporter since 2012-04-24.
Damage Effectiveness only ever effects added (not base) damage dealt by that skill. The only damage Herald of Ice deals is the explosion, so it applies to any damage added to the explosion. It doesn't modify the base damage because that's how damage effectiveness works - it's a modifier to damage added to the skill, not to the base.

The buff adds damage to other skills - that damage, being added damage, would be affected by the damage effectiveness of those skills.
Hm, I have two questions:
1) Does HoI add it's damage bonus to it's own AoE explosion?
2) What is affected by the quality bonus? Only the explosion, or all my cold damage?
Im use Herald of Ice + Avatar of Fire + Cold to Fire - does not work.
Does not work that Cold Fire or Avatar Of Fire to attack or spell - it is a bug?

Displaying ice damage, but when taken Avatar Of Fire, you should only Fire Damage.

UPD: ice damage is added as a fire to attack, but work only elemental damage (possible and ice passives - I do not have) passives. Fire damage passives do not work.
Last edited by nameforgame on Sep 16, 2014, 2:01:39 PM
Herald of Ice still adds Cold-Damage. It doesn't know at this point that the skill you will use it with has Cold to Fire, so it adds Cold Damage which is converted to Fire on that skill.

Its like Added Cold. Added Cold will always add Cold-Damage. However this Cold-Damage can be converted to Fire-Damage.
"
Emphasy wrote:
Herald of Ice still adds Cold-Damage. It doesn't know at this point that the skill you will use it with has Cold to Fire, so it adds Cold Damage which is converted to Fire on that skill.

Its like Added Cold. Added Cold will always add Cold-Damage. However this Cold-Damage can be converted to Fire-Damage.

no

Honor conversion rules, and such skill elemental hit) it should work.
"
nameforgame wrote:
"
Emphasy wrote:

no

Honor conversion rules, and such skill elemental hit) it should work.

I think the point is that it won't show up on the Herald of Ice skill tooltip. The only damage Herald of Ice deals is the explosion damage, so it shows the conversion to fire, but the buff effect doesn't show it on that skill.

However, if you inspect your other skills, when you turn on Herald of Ice you should see fire damage added to them, not cold.

It's a matter of applying the effect to the ability that actually deals the damage.

At least, that is my understanding at this point.
Diamond Supporter since 2012-04-24.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info