Herald of Ice

So, can you confirm that Curse on hit works on this skill or not? I am having an impression that this is a free curse spreader.
playing incinerate cybils atm and when i get some currency imma test if u can double dip chance to freeze through passives, Q added cold on incinerate, and Q added cold/ep on herald of ice. i have a feeling its gonna be pretty fun.

good to know it wont work with totems ...kinda sad abt that one.

edit:
well im at 6.1 cast per sec with incinerate, spell echo, lmp 3L and the non crit 15% freeze passives are proliferating all over the place--from incinerate, tempest shield, and mini cold snaps. no Q added cold yet on herald of ice/incinerate.

later plans:
-2/3 curse from cwdt...probably temp chains, frostbite, maybe enfeeble.
-take alot of aura nodes.
-get zealots oath + ghost reaver + low life. (atrizi fire leech belt + cybils lgoh = immortal.)

its working quite smoothly and i have only had a few problems so far.

tree at 49
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMABAcOSBFQEZYXLxslHRQdTx_HJ6kreCycLR8tiy9vNbk3gT1fQsNLrkyzUlNSslXWXGtd8l8qZOdtGXC7dFV-4n_GgKSCEIRIj0aVIJeVm6Gio6crrJi298HFwfPDbdkT2VvfhN-K37DjVuTr6QLr5OwY99f60g==
[quote="Mark_GGG"]damage modifiers don't can currently can't apply to degen.[/quote]
"Getting all life nods on passive tree should give additional survival, not the mandatory basic survival."
.\1.2/
..\3/
[img]http://ertaislament.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/pentavus.jpg[/img]
Last edited by leighferon on Sep 25, 2014, 3:17:48 PM
"
gerremy wrote:
So, can you confirm that Curse on hit works on this skill or not? I am having an impression that this is a free curse spreader.

Hmm it should work on the explosion. But maybe it's not classified as a hit?
I believe this skill might have potential for a rube goldberg chain reaction.

Did a little test use high level HoI and very low damage standard attack with small amount of cold damage.Attacking lowest level enemies (act 1 normal) found I would occasionally see 2 circle,since i was only hitting one enemy at a time the hoi was setting off a secondary hoi explosion.

Trouble is each hoi explosion has only a low chance to freeze itself (i have 25% chance on mine).I think though if you can do the above test but look out for a Diamond shrine you could really see if it truly does chain react.

By the way do overlapping explosions stack or does it have same limits as other skills of not hitting an enemy more than once per cast?
"
Kavlor wrote:
I believe this skill might have potential for a rube goldberg chain reaction.

Did a little test use high level HoI and very low damage standard attack with small amount of cold damage.Attacking lowest level enemies (act 1 normal) found I would occasionally see 2 circle,since i was only hitting one enemy at a time the hoi was setting off a secondary hoi explosion.

Trouble is each hoi explosion has only a low chance to freeze itself (i have 25% chance on mine).I think though if you can do the above test but look out for a Diamond shrine you could really see if it truly does chain react.

By the way do overlapping explosions stack or does it have same limits as other skills of not hitting an enemy more than once per cast?

If you are using prolif freeze it doesn't matter. As long as the pack is frozen and one monster dies there is a potential of all of them shattering and killing everything with chain reaction. I use it to good effect on 3Dragon lightning ball character. FPS drop is insane though, both from freeze prolif and multiple shatter explosions.
IGNs
GroovyBeard
JooJooFromTheWell
Last edited by Allnamestaken on Sep 27, 2014, 4:14:08 PM
crit flame totem and incinerate work really good for freezing whole packs. u just need cast speed and freeze node for incinerate (pretty sure the explosions dont happen with flame totem but its high cast per sec + crit will freeze alot.
[quote="Mark_GGG"]damage modifiers don't can currently can't apply to degen.[/quote]
"Getting all life nods on passive tree should give additional survival, not the mandatory basic survival."
.\1.2/
..\3/
[img]http://ertaislament.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/pentavus.jpg[/img]
As of Version 1.2.3: "Herald of Ice: The shattering damage area of effect radius has been increased by 20%. The damage on shatter has been increased by 100%."

Should hold its own now against Herald of Ash.
"
Arthikas wrote:
As of Version 1.2.3: "Herald of Ice: The shattering damage area of effect radius has been increased by 20%. The damage on shatter has been increased by 100%."

Should hold its own now against Herald of Ash.

no way it can

i have a crit ball lightning build that uses herald of ice (with Cold to Fire! support gem for extra double dip on cold/fire) and it procs frequently and deals 1k a pop. cool.

but..

i also have poorsman 2h glacial hammer + aoe + lots of elemental damage + herald of ash + ele prolif + inc burn that melts entire screens from one good hit. it cannot be compared. it is incredible how much 'real damage' (not lame dps) prolif burn deals. it is incomparable
Coincidentally, I've been watching your BL build thread and have a shadow based on that tree, (great build BTW!). Glad you posted here, since I've wondered what else HoI needs to make it as good as HoA. Only 1st time I've used it (lvl 8) linked with low Red Mana & Ele Prolif for now. EP seems to help but with the +20% inc. AoE now and once I get Blast Radius passives, EP would seem moot except for possible chain reactions to outlying mobs. Wanted to try it 4-linked in the BL setup.

Perhaps the mechanics of it just won't put out the damage of HoA, (explode vs. DoT)? Any ideas are welcome.
Last edited by Arthikas on Sep 29, 2014, 10:37:55 PM
"
Arthikas wrote:
Coincidentally, I've been watching your BL build thread and have a shadow based on that tree, (great build BTW!). Glad you posted here, since I've wondered what else HoI needs to make it as good as HoA. Only 1st time I've used it (lvl 8) linked with low Red Mana & Ele Prolif for now. EP seems to help but with the +20% inc. AoE now and once I get Blast Radius passives, EP would seem moot except for possible chain reactions to outlying mobs. Wanted to try it 4-linked in the BL setup.

Perhaps the mechanics of it just won't put out the damage of HoA, (explode vs. DoT)? Any ideas are welcome.

oh.. i forgot about that build thread! i have to update it as i did some minor but important changes..

HoI works well - i have no problem with it. it is the HoAsh that simply is too strong.. giving it ability to proliferate was a mistake on GGG' part

for the HoI - ele prolif is not needed. I think that Cold to Fire (to double dip on spell/elemental/areaDamage nodes) is the perfect support for HoI, then 'maybe' AOE or ConcEffect and maybe some utility (blind? stun? (it works now with spells) or simply leave it with RedMana+ColdToFire and forget about it. perfect for a 3Link

EDIT:

I've made a demo vid (on white map, this is a master hunt, not clear speed showcase) showing i think best possible HoI scenario. This time it is unlinked with ColdToFire (toying with gear again, havent played this build in a long while)

Surprising con when i think about it - shattered corpses. this isnt a prolif build so it is not about gameplay per se but corpses are a nice indication of damage (shock duration)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DAEY4VQ1sw
Last edited by sidtherat on Sep 30, 2014, 12:59:39 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info