Herald of Ash

Agree with the above posters - the wooshing around makes me tempted to tap a dousing flask every few seconds or so, and the minor graphical glitch is discernible especially when transitioning between areas.

Although I was slightly disappointed Life Leech/Lgoh or Iron Will couldn't be added to the first component (was going to make something to boost Vaal/normal Molten Shell at the same time), the ring of overkill scaling with AoE/Prolif/Burn was, at least, a redeeming factor. Maybe something can happen with CoMK+Flame Surge, but my initial attempts to benefit from the 15% additional fire damage failed miserably.

The benefits of quality on this gem is also somewhat questionable. Is it the same effect as quality on Added Fire Damage? Does it scale both the Extra Fire Damage (ok, at 20q it will still only be 2.25%) and the overkill?
On-character effect is extremely bright and disgustingly flashy.
I cannot see my gloves and half of sheild and weapon because of that.
Should be reworked to be more eye-friendly.
Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.
Last edited by Sarganis87 on Aug 25, 2014, 1:48:59 AM
This looks like a strong skill to me. Even if it just gave 15% physical added as fire, that's a decent payoff for only 25% mana reserved. More importantly, the overkill burning turns hard-hitting single-target skills like Heavy Strike and Shield Charge into crowd killers, without having to fiddle around with damage conversion and proliferation on your main attack skill.

"
mruuh wrote:
It appears that mobs bleeding out from Puncture do not proc this skill. Is that intentional?

Damage over time can't overkill.
Does the ignite respect its source like a normal ignite when it comes to scaling?

If the Overkilling damage was from a Bear Trap, would the ignite scale with Trap Damage? If the last hit was a Puncture, would the ignite scale with projectile damage? With melee spash; scale with AoE?
Does the Quality of Reduce Mana affect the mana cost? (Since Reduced Cost of skills does).
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1158669

Cyclone MARA Beginners and Advanced Guide.
Question, does this skill benefit from +%fire damage mods or nodes (like Arsonist), and does it benefit from +%burning damage mods or nodes (like Holy Fire)? Thanks.
Last edited by tachiKC on Aug 25, 2014, 11:32:47 PM
"
TheRhythm wrote:
Does the ignite respect its source like a normal ignite when it comes to scaling?
Yes

"
TheRhythm wrote:
If the Overkilling damage was from a Bear Trap, would the ignite scale with Trap Damage? If the last hit was a Puncture, would the ignite scale with projectile damage? With melee spash; scale with AoE?
No in all cases because the source of the ignite is not the skill that caused the overkill, it's Herald of Ash.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Aug 26, 2014, 12:47:33 AM
Jus thinking this through a bit, it seems like +burn nodes start to look very good for heavy single hit builds. If I'm understanding correctly, the burn damage has a base value dependent on the overkill amount. If you're running a heavy strike build with a lot of damage nodes, for example, another 30% mace dage will do very little to increase the overkill damage (and thus the burn) but 30% burn damage will increase it by almost a third total.

Makes that cluster down by blood magic look tasty, especially with the 1% HP regen thrown in.
Herald of Ash + Added Fire Damage + Fire Penetration + Elemental Proliferation

Would that essentially work with Herald of Ash? It's a really vague skill, not sure what affects solely ignite.
Last edited by Revenance on Aug 26, 2014, 7:05:53 PM
Added Fire grants flat Fire Damage based on Physical Damage. Herald of Ash deals zero Physical Damage. Not particularly useful, but it'll consume your Mana just fine.

Penetration is an on-Hit effect - Damage over Time does not Hit. No can do.

Herald of Ash Ignites, as per the Skill description. Elemental Proliferation spreads Ignite to nearby enemies. That'll do it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info