[1.2] Crit LMP Tornado Shot Level 89 Build

"
TeppinWHite wrote:
"
lDantonl wrote:
I started using this build yesterday with my 75 Ranger. What are your thoughts on the new heralds? gems could be (Reduced Mana + Herald of Ice + Herald of Ash + Haste/Grace/Hatred?). My build is using split arrow & puncture. Do you think Tornado shot > split arrow for crowd control & shotgun potential with my build?

I'm a big fan of the new Herald buffs. With a crit build using Hatred you freeze and shatter a lot of mobs. When you add Herald of Ice those shattered mobs add flat AOE damage. On a phys build I would prioritize this behind Hatred and Herald of Ash. If you have the mana to reserve go for it.

Herald of Ash is a natural addition to any Phys build. You get an automatic 15% addition to your physical damage as fire damage. This works even better with a crit build because of the overkill damage. If I crit a mob for 10k damage and it only has 1k life, the surrounding mobs all take 9k burn damage. This clears packs quickly, and allows you to shoot white packs once and run through as the others die to burn damage.

I enjoy split arrow and it is actually the skill I designed my build for. However you will get much better damage out of tornado shot. The initial projectiles of a LMP or GMP Tornado shot work like split arrow and will not shotgun. However the tornado part can. This means an LMP Tornado shot has the potential to hit any mob four times. Most mobs won't get hit four times, but they will generally be hit 2-3.

I recently added a +1 Arrow quiver to my build and find I don't even bother with my Puncture anymore.

Mind drinker is an awesome node, and I've never needed any other leech for my mana even running a 6-Link. It is also a little cheaper as good equipment with leech tends to be a bit more expensive and often limits your options depending on what's available. If you find you have enough leech on gear you can always spec out of it.

Finally, it is worth noting that the two points to get the extra power charge is better than getting the two 20% nodes after assassination. Power charges give 50% crit chance so it works out to 25% per point. With PCoC you should have no problem keeping up power charges. I dropped the fifth power charge because my crit chance is over 50% without charges. I swapped PCoC for Physical Projectile Attack Damage and get my power charges from Assassin's Mark. I wouldn't make that switch until you get a bow with a much better crit chance.

Thank you very much for the build analysis! the power charge change was one i had not considered, i will be incorporating that in my build as i move forward. As for the hearlds, you made some excellent points. Would you suggest i just go Hatred + Hearld of Ice for my crit/puncture build? I will also be testing tornado shot dps as soon as i get one :)
IGN: Standard League - Dark_Captain
"
lDantonl wrote:

Thank you very much for the build analysis! the power charge change was one i had not considered, i will be incorporating that in my build as i move forward. As for the hearlds, you made some excellent points. Would you suggest i just go Hatred + Hearld of Ice for my crit/puncture build? I will also be testing tornado shot dps as soon as i get one :)

That was my plan originally, but I think you'll get better damage from Hatred + herald of Ash.

You'll have to calculate if 15% phys added as fire gives you a bigger damage boost vs. flat damage from Herald of Ice. Generally, if you're stacking phys and not elemental damage in your build, Herald of Ash should win out.
hey guys,

do you think an alpha's howl would make sense for this build? I don't think I could make up for the loss of life and resists at the moment, but I was thinking running grace, hatred and herald of ash with the red. mana nodes, lvl 19 red mana and the 8% from the helm could be great, cause I suppose the +2 to aura gems would add a lot in late game?

I'm currently playing lvl 80 ranger, split arrow and puncture with about 4k life.

/edit

I checked the wiki and it doesn't seem that substantial, hatred would be 2% more and grace would add about 150 evasion. not sure if that's worth it.
Last edited by tommigee on Aug 27, 2014, 4:32:19 PM
"
tommigee wrote:
I checked the wiki and it doesn't seem that substantial, hatred would be 2% more and grace would add about 150 evasion. not sure if that's worth it.

Do you know what Grace is?

Over 1700 evasion with lvl 16.
Make
Spectral Throw
great again
Last edited by CommodoX on Aug 27, 2014, 4:35:07 PM
I was only talking about the added 2 levels from alpha's howl. bringing grace from say, 19 to 21.
grace itself is of course strong and awesome :)
"
tommigee wrote:
hey guys,

do you think an alpha's howl would make sense for this build? I don't think I could make up for the loss of life and resists at the moment, but I was thinking running grace, hatred and herald of ash with the red. mana nodes, lvl 19 red mana and the 8% from the helm could be great, cause I suppose the +2 to aura gems would add a lot in late game?

I've been contemplating this mostly because Alpha's has decent evasion and some benefit to the build. I'm not sure if anyone has one to test, but the Herald's are referred to as Buffs not Auras so I doubt they will get the level boost. The helmet can still be useful for Hatred and Grace and obviously the additional reduced mana.

Rat's Nest is also a good choice if you need more crit chance. Currently I need the resists more than anything else so it's not worth it to me to try. You also have to consider and evasion nodes you have and factor that into the two level gain.
"
TeppinWHite wrote:
"
tommigee wrote:
hey guys,

I've been contemplating this mostly because Alpha's has decent evasion and some benefit to the build. I'm not sure if anyone has one to test, but the Herald's are referred to as Buffs not Auras so I doubt they will get the level boost. The helmet can still be useful for Hatred and Grace and obviously the additional reduced mana.

Rat's Nest is also a good choice if you need more crit chance. Currently I need the resists more than anything else so it's not worth it to me to try. You also have to consider and evasion nodes you have and factor that into the two level gain.

good point about the heralds! that'd be interesting to know.
I have a rat's nest from before it was buffed, thinking about divining it. it would be awesome with the build if I can manage the resists... :)
Try WED over Added Fire Damage....For me it gives better results by far!
"
WeebleWoble wrote:
Try WED over Added Fire Damage....For me it gives better results by far!

Thanks, I'll level one up and try it out.
Currently doing this build what are some end-game items that I can strive for? like items that cost a bit but that way I have a goal? seems it all just rare items or maybe like a drillneck?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info