[1.2] Updated! 33k dps BorWoe Max block + acrobatic Supertank-build for Beyond (HC) - Affordable!

BorWoe - Supertanky melee using Wings of Entropy and Bringer of Rain !

Updated 19.08 again! Tweaked for even more dps, while keeping the survivability!
Also added a 35k dps, much more evasion, and 204% hp variant!

Check out the new tree: https://www.poebuilder.com/builds/Krilox-borwoe
Did some changes that lowered my overall evasion a small bit (2% @ lvl 92), so i figured I might as well have Ondars optional. If you're struggling with projectiles (which i doubt you'll be anyway.) Go ahead and pick it, costs two extra points.

I've rearranged a bit, and ended up with 3ek dps, quite an upgrade. The rings are tier 1 phys rolls and tier 1 life rolls, which isnt very realistic early in the league, but even with t3, the dps is 28,2k ! And that's with the same 224% life, same block chance, and a bit less evasion. :)

With +20% quality on the WoE, and top tier gloves + rings, the dps is around 35k approx.

Also now with a ranger version. It has 3 variations of the build!
Check it out at http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/996672

35k dps, 204% hp, much more evasion take:

1. Introduction:

I've built HC-characters since Onslaught, and have pretty much had several 85+ each league, but have rarerly shared my builds figuring they're mediocre. This time I'll share my planned build for the Beyond league; The BorWoe evasion tank!

Special mention: Thanks for the great feedback and helping me tinker the build! It's now updated once again! :)

2. Why duelist ?

I havent made a duelist in ages (looking at the statistics, most havent :P) and looking at the 1.2 skill tree, it's definately more appealing now.

I did a RF (lvl 89), summoner (lvl 86), bino's crit slaughter (lvl 86) in Invasion, but have always wanted to utilize Wings of entropy.

Was inspired by Zivko's approach, Bringer with WoE is a cheap and lethal combination, getting a 7l efficiently very fast, with somewhat high hp and very high block.

I'm however fond of evasion builds (yes even on HC, thank you entropy!), and have done my approach to a acrobatics max block, high hp, ok dps tank.

3. The Build

Key stats:

- 222% Maximum Life (considered high in 1,2)
- 75% Block / 75% Spell Block
- 40% chance to dodge attacks
- 30% chance to dodge spells
- Resolute Technique

- Double chance to evade projectiles
- 30-40% evasion chance on the top of that (in addition to the dodge provided from Acrobatics)
- Chance to avoid elemental status: 8%
- 33kish dps, can be upped giving up some survivability.

As you can see, most of the hp nodes on the south side of the tree are picked up (now that mara's aint hugging them all) Blade barrier is still excellent and the road to it is great.

Acrobatics and Phase acro are in place, and there are several high hp nodes on the way/nearby + DW blocking nodes. Making it an 30-40% evasion, 40% dodge, 30% spell dodge 75%/75% block/spellblock build with 6k+ hp..

Overcapping res isnt easy anymore, so i don't see the point of going near the mara start. I've chosen RT in order to be able to ditch accuracy nodes, even though RT will make reflect a bit harder due to the fact that we can't dodge it. On the other side, our dps isnt that amazing, so reflect shouldnt be a problem.

Bandits: Oak -> Kraityn -> Skill (or Oak if you want longer IC).

4. Auras

Purity of Fire and of Lightning will be even more important imo now that the max res nodes have been removed. I'll have to see when 1.2 hits if Hatred is still the best aura (as it currently is for almost all phys builds), or if the new Heralds will take its place, or even be an addition.

Will have to wait and see.

5. Random thoughts

All gems will cost overall less mana in 1.2, in addition to new uniques and perhaps new item bases being released. Skills will get buffed that might be an alternative to DS imo (still eager to see how Cleave turns out!). Best case scenario is a 4l Cleave imo.

I'm also very excited to see the new heralds, they're supposedly added elemental damage (%) with a splash effect.

Would be fun if 2x Dyadus ele cleave would be a thing..

We'll have to wait and see :)

Pro's

* Great survivability. 40% dodge, 30% spell dodge, 75% block, 75% spell block, high hp and evasion of 30-40% on top of that!
* High damage for a tank build.
* Quick and agile character, able to move fast.
* Easy build to grasp and follow.
* It's affordable, estimated cost would be 4-7 ex in a temp league.
* Doesnt require a 6l. A 4l will get you a loooong way!
* Can have very high resistances with purities on.
* Should be able to kill Atziri easily.
* Can be altered to remove BoR and get a 6l Lightning coil or belly of the beast instead + alpha's howl!
* Can't miss

Cons

* Can be stunned, but it's unlikely due to high defenses and high hp pool, and Heart of Oak helps.
* Can't miss, but this also means you can't evade reflected damage either.
* Very low armor, keep Enduring Cry + IC up when in dangerous situations.

The Gear

(I'll get some links up, will need to buy a BoR and WoE)

- Bringer of Rain - Is usually affordable, even in the 3-month leagues, makes an item a 7-link, and adds the oh so vital Blind to our dual strike.

- Wings of Entropy - 2hander that counts as dual wielding, getting bonuses from both camps, oh yes.

- Stone of Lazhwar- The spell block is crucial.

- Rainbowstrides - Movementspeed, all res and +25% block chance to spells.

- Int on rings in order to use lvl 15+ purities and rainbowstrides.

Alternate

Lightning coil or Belly of the Beast 6linked combined with an Alphas Howl for more oomph, but much more costly, more details later.

Gems

In the Bringer of Rain, making it efficiently a 7link.

Skillwise it's:

Bringer of Rain: Dual Strike + Blood Magic + Melee Splash + Multistrike.

4-Link: Purity of Lightning + Purity of Fire + Reduced Mana + Hatred
3-Link: Faster attacks + Leap slam + Blood magic
3/4-Link: Immortal call + Increased duration + Blood magic (+ Blood rage).
3-Link: Enduring cry + Spell Echo + Blood Magic (I prefer self-cast).

I'd suggest using the boots for the purities (BRRG), Gloves for the IC combo (RRRG), and 2 x 3Linked (6socket) Wings of Entropy.

or Leap slam + Culling strike + Blood Magic + Enduring cry in a 4linked WoE and Cast when damage taken + Enduring cry 2linked in the same WoE.

Leveling

A brief introduction to different leveling tiers, which skills I'll use and how the skill trees will look.

I'll level primarily using the newly buffed Cleave combined with Searing totem until i can afford/wear Wings of Entropy.

I'm usually going with the best 2h axe and molten strike, that works well, but I'm really eager to use Cleave so.. :)

I'd also recommend Pohx's leveling spots guide highly; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29jfidj6xBk&list=UUgv2_w0HveLN_JgFGTqwmTw .

Level 20

Dual wielding with Cleave, pretty straight-forward. I'm assuming fresh league start, so no multistrike or uniques unless im superlucky.

Alternatively, level with molten strike.

Level 40

Still using Cleave (or molten strike), but i've picked up Searing Bond at 24 keeping it up while im cleaving them down. Decent life, some block and early acrobatics + phase acro.

Level 60

More life, life leech and more block. Should have been able to save up to buy Wings of Entropy by now with some luck. Farm the docks until you can afford a Bringer of Rain. After you've BoR farm Piety for Rainbowstrides and rest of the gear, getting ready for maps.

Changelog

0.1 Added alot of text and ideas.
0.2 Revamped skill tree (was brand new, found hopefully the most efficient routes)
0.3 Formated it to be actually humanly readable.
0.4 Revamped skill tree once again based on feedback and several hours of tinkering.

Last edited by krilox on Aug 20, 2014, 3:34:21 PM
It's getting close, but there are other (similar) combinations that will yeild you higher HP and more damage.

Also you can save 1 point if you take the 2 str nodes below the 3 nodes you took next to duelist (to get to the scion leg)

I don't like giving my builds away but just tossing it out there to keep trying.
IGN: OldManBalls (Warbands)
Thanks for the feedback mate, i'll check it out once i've access to a PC again.

I might've been to eager releasing it, but i'll tinker it some more once im off work :)
Home! Tinkering time!
Last edited by krilox on Aug 14, 2014, 7:31:02 PM
Updated the build after having some time to tinker it!

Now with 40% more life and even a tad more damage and 2% more leech!
your block is 75% and by having 24 intelligence you cant use rainbowstrides, so you max spell block even with stone of lazwhar will be 75*0.75 = 56,25% spell block not 75% as you claim

your innate lifeleech from the tree is 2% not 4%

Cheap is very vague word : BoR in new leagues will cost at least 2ex, WoE usually goes for 1ex, the huge resistances hole that you need to cover (no chest) with above average gear (unless you dont use stone of lazwhar, in which case you are ok but your spellblock drops to 18,75) will cost you 1-3 ex.
Cheap builds are for example summoner builds that need less than 1ex in gear.

Can be stunned and will be stunned very freqeuntly (from all charge mobs in the game in high lvl maps, from every mob in any map with vulnerability, many hard hitting rares and bosses, etc.) and even the block recovery animation will disrupt your play way too often. (My main was a 89lvl marauder with woe/bor in nemesis and now that he is on standard i respeced for US but he also has IR for armour not ev)

~550 Accuracy rating and 50%accuracy is NOT high, your chance to hit at those levels with the skill tree you posted is 72% (good luck with that)

Your damage is very good (a bit of overkill for me)

You need to rework a little bit the whole thing
Inundated with cockroaches, I am

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1609216 - labyrinth rework ideas/suggestions
When I read 196% increased max life on a char with Acrobatics, I didn't have to look at your tree to know that you went through the Scion life wheel. :P

Personally I'd probably walk to the Scion start via the elemental resitances and Sentinel, and skip the three 6% damage nodes. Takes two more points, but adds 28% to all resistances, which you probably can need since BoR and WoE represent four item slots without resists (Stone of Lazhwar being the fifth).

Oh, is the summary on the left correct btw? If so, you took more block nodes than needed: 15% BoE, 15% dual wield base block, 43% dual wield block from tree, 6% dual wield or shield block from tree.
Ditch those horrendous scion nodes and go cap your block with Gemini up north. You'll get some much needed accuracy as a bonus.
I'm proud I made the build that got hotfix nerfed by 80% in under a week :
Kamikaze Clones /1204796 (LL Mirror Arrow Instability Prolif)
"
your block is 75% and by having 24 intelligence you cant use rainbowstrides, so you max spell block even with stone of lazwhar will be 75*0.75 = 56,25% spell block not 75% as you claim

your innate lifeleech from the tree is 2% not 4%

Cheap is very vague word : BoR in new leagues will cost at least 2ex, WoE usually goes for 1ex, the huge resistances hole that you need to cover (no chest) with above average gear (unless you dont use stone of lazwhar, in which case you are ok but your spellblock drops to 18,75) will cost you 1-3 ex.
Cheap builds are for example summoner builds that need less than 1ex in gear.

Can be stunned and will be stunned very freqeuntly (from all charge mobs in the game in high lvl maps, from every mob in any map with vulnerability, many hard hitting rares and bosses, etc.) and even the block recovery animation will disrupt your play way too often. (My main was a 89lvl marauder with woe/bor in nemesis and now that he is on standard i respeced for US but he also has IR for armour not ev)

~550 Accuracy rating and 50%accuracy is NOT high, your chance to hit at those levels with the skill tree you posted is 72% (good luck with that)

Your damage is very good (a bit of overkill for me)

You need to rework a little bit the whole thing

Thanks for a well-thought and constructive feedback! I'll definately continue tinkering.

Yeah i forgot the life leech on the gloves, so it's 2% indeed =/

Price-wise, sub-10ex is cheap to me, but i'll reword it and specify the costs more :)

Accuracy will be a problem, as it usually is on non-RT builds. This one has ok'ish dex and you've to remember that the 72% hit chance is versus lvl 90 mobs, where the highest level mobs are 79, increasing the chance to hit by quite a bit.

I did a similar, but less tanky build in Invasion, and as long as i was sidestepping charging rhoas etc, and keeping IC up, I had no problems with stuns really.

I've some work lined up for me, appreciate the feedback! :)
"
Lord_of_Error wrote:
When I read 196% increased max life on a char with Acrobatics, I didn't have to look at your tree to know that you went through the Scion life wheel. :P

Personally I'd probably walk to the Scion start via the elemental resitances and Sentinel, and skip the three 6% damage nodes. Takes two more points, but adds 28% to all resistances, which you probably can need since BoR and WoE represent four item slots without resists (Stone of Lazhwar being the fifth).

Oh, is the summary on the left correct btw? If so, you took more block nodes than needed: 15% BoE, 15% dual wield base block, 43% dual wield block from tree, 6% dual wield or shield block from tree.

"

Ditch those horrendous scion nodes and go cap your block with Gemini up north. You'll get some much needed accuracy as a bonus.

I've wanted to remove them since the start, the buildup is horrible indeed, thanks for tipping me about Gemini :)

As Lord of Error pointed out, I was a bit overcapped, and have landed on 72% removing both the crappy scion nodes, and gemini.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info