block chance reduction gem nerfed by 10% across the board

"
Bhaisabh wrote:
I'm completely fine with total removal of sword block reduction nodes (I play a 2H Sword Duelist).

My only issue with this is that swords become completely and utterly useless because they no longer have a niche. 2H Axes have the highest DPS and staves have block and the highest implicit crit chance. What do swords get? Without block reduction, 2H swords have nothing. So sure, remove the block reduction nodes but fill it with something else.

Might this be a legitimate case where the block pen nodes simply need to be nerfed, instead of removed altogether?

If a fully-spec'ed sword character only got, say, a 10 or 15% block pen bonus, wouldn't that still be worthwhile but not OP?

As for the block pen gem nerf, as far as LLD goes I don't know what to think. I never feel like swapping in this gem, and when it is part of my default setup I never bother swapping it out either. This nerf probably isn't going to change any of that. I might just be bad though.
Last edited by Fightgarr on Aug 13, 2014, 6:34:56 PM
"
Bhaisabh wrote:
I'm completely fine with total removal of sword block reduction nodes (I play a 2H Sword Duelist).

My only issue with this is that swords will become completely and utterly useless because they no longer have any niche roll to fill or a comparative advantage to offer. 2H Axes have the highest base DPS and staves have block and the highest implicit crit chance. What do swords get? Without block reduction, 2H swords have nothing. So sure, remove the block reduction nodes but fill it with something else.

A lot of you are arguing that removing block reduction nodes will open up build diversity, but it will also reduce diversity by making an entire weapon class completely irrelevant.

So Acrobatics isnt enough for sword users? Axe, mace and staff nodes are mainly on the left side of the tree so going at the right sight would be a very high dps loss, so imo swords have the best and only defense of the 2h. Sure axe has higher damage but with the lack of defense it's in a bad state(Source; I play it myself)

Tried acro on my duelist(main is marauder) and was dissapointed in the dps loss i got, it's not meant for axes.
Friend of mine and I made a tree for my marauder that would get acro but lose significant damage and hp, and would require minimum level 100
It's hard to remember what you have forgotten
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why are police looking for missing people? None of them were missing last time I saw them
"
So Acrobatics isnt enough for sword users? Axe, mace and staff nodes are mainly on the left side of the tree so going at the right sight would be a very high dps loss, so imo swords have the best and only defense of the 2h. Sure axe has higher damage but with the lack of defense it's in a bad state(Source; I play it myself)

Tried acro on my duelist(main is marauder) and was dissapointed in the dps loss i got, it's not meant for axes.
Friend of mine and I made a tree for my marauder that would get acro but lose significant damage and hp, and would require minimum level 100

On a first hand look, it might seem like sword users have better access to the Acro cluster. But when you account for point efficiency and pathing, this isn't the case.

If you grab the Thick Skin cluster (as many 2H axe players do because it's just that good), you're just as far from the acro cluster as your average 2H Sword build. Even for 2H sword users, acro is minimally a ten (usually closer to 12 - 13) point investment that could go into more DPS nodes. Naturally, you're going to lose life and DPS by choosing acro. This problem exists for both sword and axe users. You give up possible points that could go into DPS nodes, and life/armour nodes become considerably less efficient. But that isn't a problem unique to axe-users; sword-users deal with the same exact thing.

TL/DR: The only right-hand sword cluster worth getting is just as far from Acro as the life-cluster most axe-users get. Therefore, acrobatics alone is not enough of an advantage (or an advantage at all) to pick swords over axe, especially in light of the 2H axe's ~60 flat DPS advantage.

EDIT:

Here is Tommy's (excellent) 2H Axe build and Scary's 2H Axe build. While both of these trees are totally optimized for mapping/pve, they still demonstrate the efficiency of grabbing the Thick Skins cluster for 2H axe builds (even though the trees are built totally differently).

EDIT 2:

Just so you know I'm not talking out of my ass, I have played:
- Armour-based 2H axe
- Acro 2H axe
- Armour-based 2H sword
- Acro 2H sword

on my L90 duelist.

IGN: BaiBhai | BhaiBhai | Bhailo

Last edited by Bhai on Aug 13, 2014, 8:27:33 PM
"
Fightgarr wrote:
"
Bhaisabh wrote:

My only issue with this is that swords become completely and utterly useless because they no longer have a niche. 2H Axes have the highest DPS and staves have block and the highest implicit crit chance. What do swords get? Without block reduction, 2H swords have nothing. So sure, remove the block reduction nodes but fill it with something else.

Might this be a legitimate case where the block pen nodes simply need to be nerfed, instead of removed altogether?

If a fully-spec'ed sword character only got, say, a 10 or 15% block pen bonus, wouldn't that still be worthwhile but not OP?

As for the block pen gem nerf, as far as LLD goes I don't know what to think. I never feel like swapping in this gem, and when it is part of my default setup I never bother swapping it out either. This nerf probably isn't going to change any of that. I might just be bad though.

Agree @ fightgarr

wait wait wait. Remove RT, Remove Block nodes, Remove block pen nodes, Remove phase acrobatics, Remove Remove acrobatics, Remove CI, Remove unwavering stances, or anything that makes one side better at something than the other. Removing block pen from the tree is just going to make builds that get easy block nodes wayyyy fuckin stronger. The nodes may need some adjustment but removing them outright is out of the question. Removing block pen from templar was kinda weird. I thought they would adjust them and put them in a spot that took alot more investment. Templars block pene nodes and rangers were not even close to comparable in passive efficiency.

Every build that gets good gear is strong at something. Puncture bow is ridiculous in team pvp, sword ranger 1v1, EK casters with cold snap and smoke mine/lightning warp, Trappers with +3 bear trap/crit/450% crit multi, Spectral throw 2 handers, flickerstriker with guardian. I feel like alot of the builds without insane gear look like shit but completely changes with really great gear. Which build should be #1? Theres never going to be a perfect balance. Rock, paper, and scissors is kinda where its at atm. honestly what needs to be adjusted is, whirling blades, smoke mine, puncture, temp chains, cold snap, and conversion trap.
I Stream PvP Twitch.tv/GrindcoreTHRALL
THE STORY OF MY Descent into the Abysmal Afterlife( HC to SC, too Stronk!)
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/346754
PK massacre, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldz09uBZ-ug
Last edited by GrindcoreTHRALL on Aug 13, 2014, 8:29:25 PM
"
Fightgarr wrote:
"
Bhaisabh wrote:

Sorry, I totally missed this. I think this is a really good idea, though I would push for 20-25% block pen bonus. Admittedly, I am biased ;)

The support gem changes are being made in conjunction with passive tree changes, which will be publicly available soon (today?). Please reserve final judgement until you've seen the new tree. :)
Code warrior
block reduction nerfed to 35% for swords (3 nodes)

Apparently wrong tree...
Last edited by Lordsidro on Aug 14, 2014, 1:04:37 AM
RIP build variety.
obvious effects of tree changes (for 28 pvp):

-sword ranger probably sucks now/duelist with RT and block-reduction is the only melee build
-casters buffed some amount (impossible to tell how much yet)
-EK shadow buffed hilariously hard
-puncture about the same(?) maybe bow changes will affect it
-curses: no hex master, have to wait and see new curse numbers to judge properly
-raging spirits probably better overall now despite loss of hex master, best as witch now
-all of this shit is irrelevant because pvp will be the same handful of people forever

did i miss anything guys

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info