Why don't bows require strength?

I like it the way it is.

While it is not "realistic", it is adding some flavor, as it is relating the weapons to the classes.

Str -> Mace -> Templar, Marauder, Duelist
Str/Dex -> Sword, Axe -> Marauder, Duelist, Ranger
Dex -> Rapier, Bow -> Duelist, Ranger, Shadow
Dex/Int -> Dagger, Claw -> Ranger, Shadow, Witch
Int -> Wand -> Shadow, Witch, Templar
Int/Str -> Sceptre, Staff -> Witch, Templar, Marauder

In a game of "you can do whatever you want with whatever class and skill and item, as long as you build for it and really want it", it feels okay that some classes have easier access through attribute requirements.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
Last edited by Peterlerock on Aug 10, 2014, 3:00:34 PM
Just throwing in my two cents:

When designing the game, Chris made the choice to have bows aligned with dex for gameplay mechanic reasons. While he could have done some interesting things with a str/dex combo like charan suggested, he decided not to for better or worse.

But to address OP, there's a reason why game designers don't design around real life.

Spoiler
protip: it's because IRL is boring.
"Minions of your minions are your minion's minions, not your minions." - Mark
"
ciknay wrote:
Spoiler
protip: it's because IRL is boring.

lie's filthy lie's.

peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Last edited by Boem on Aug 10, 2014, 6:15:47 PM
Bows used to have strength requirements. It didn't work out for itemisation.
PoE is a game, and as such gameplay takes priority over a realistic simulation of the world in this case, because that lets it be a better game.
I was sad to see them go, but strength requirements on bows were removed to improve itemisation, which makes the game better, despite making it less like a realistic simulation.
You know, a ridiculously slow, fast proj speed, high phys damage bow with a high strength requirement sounds like a cool unique...
Most bows in real life don't need a high amount of force to have good results. Sure, if you want maximal tension, then you need strength but doing so dramatically decrease the speed at which you can shoot them. It's only useful in sport hunting nowaday.

Build of the week #9 - Breaking your face with style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EcQDOUN9Y
IGN: Poltun
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
PoE is a game, and as such gameplay takes priority over a realistic simulation of the world in this case, because that lets it be a better game.
I was sad to see them go, but strength requirements on bows were removed to improve itemisation, which makes the game better, despite making it less like a realistic simulation.

This is one of the strangest things you have written that I have read.

I know exactly what you mean and wont quibble about it, but the structure of what you
wrote is strange. Looks to me like you've done too many all nighters ;)
"
Mark_GGG wrote:

what about adding in hybrid bows?
studying for GGG's C++ technical exam...
Yeah, I'd like to see a bow type or 2 that use str/dex or a pure str bow. Think about it, a marauder with a pure str bow using res technique. :)
Last edited by Rowsol on Aug 12, 2014, 7:17:18 AM
"
Fightgarr wrote:
You know, a ridiculously slow, fast proj speed, high phys damage bow with a high strength requirement sounds like a cool unique...

Yes...and I'd like to see a skill support gem that does that too.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info