Why don't bows require strength?

"
Idioticus wrote:

It's just ridiculous that the weapon requiring the most strength to use, requires none of it in the game.

Maybe because we don't give a shit ?
IGN TylordRampage
"
Malone wrote:
"
Idioticus wrote:

It's just ridiculous that the weapon requiring the most strength to use, requires none of it in the game.

Maybe because we don't give a shit ?

speak for yourself, this skill is useful in real life too
Keep in mind that a bow needs manual dexterity and coordination as the primary way you hurt people with it (dexterity), while hurting an armored figure with a melee weapon is more about brute force (strength).

Of course we can assume our characters have the necessary physical strength to draw the bow and stamina to keep repeating the action. And of course bows really aren't about brute force regardless of the draw strength. Just because you are strong enough to draw a bow doesn't mean you'll hit a moving target at 20 paces.

Which is why the RPGs represent bows with dexterity rather than strength.
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir
Why do claws/scepters/staff have int requirements?
"This nail on a stick so complicated! Do I use the pointy end on the enemy or myself?!!!"
the game itemization would easily have had room for both str/dex-based slow/hard-hitting bows (harbinger), and pure dex-based light/fast-hitting bows (thicket)
So just to be clear, you're taking magic gems, sticking them into a bow somehow, using them to turn one arrow (from an infinite quiver that encases all its arrows in fire) into a cloud of ethereal arrows that rain down on walking skeletons that are throwing balls of electricity at you while they stand around a carved piece of wood that imbues them with supernatural speed, while you yourself are covered in a sheath of ice that leaves ice on the ground where you stand that spreads on to other things that walk over it, and your problem is that the bow doesn't demand a lot of strength?
Last edited by fireinakasha on Aug 9, 2014, 3:22:56 PM
"
_Eddi_ wrote:
the game itemization would easily have had room for both str/dex-based slow/hard-hitting bows (harbinger), and pure dex-based light/fast-hitting bows (thicket)
That mush is at least true.

Though realistically most bows take a very similar amount of time to fire (give or take draw distance and aim time).
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir
There's actually a fairly easy solution to this, but I'd say we're too deep into the game's development for it to be feasible.

Simply have the bows that would require strength (war bows, as the example goes), do so, but in return, slow them down (most are already slowish) and (here's the important change) have Strength as an attribute increase physical attack damage rather than melee physical damage.

For what it's worth, those of you arguing that because this is a fantasy game, it can't get it right regarding weapons and itemisation, here you go:

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Long_War_Bow_(Diablo_I)

Damage: 1 - 14
Durability: 60
Requirements:
45 Strength
80 Dexterity

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Long_War_Bow_(Diablo_II)

Two-Hand Damage: 3 - 23 (13 Avg)
Level Requirement: None
Strength Requirement: 50
Dexterity Requirement: 65

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
I think most people do know that bow takes a lot of strength to use in real life. However, asking something to be realistic while asking others not to be may seem somewhat biases too right?

I mean, shouldn't our characters get tired?

Also, contrary to popular belief, blade weapons are actually extremely inefficient when used against large numbers of zombies or humans. Human bones are actually very hard, and your sword/axe weapon will simply be useless after....maybe 20 enemies?

In Dungeon Siege and TQ there was a strength requirement on the slower, heavier hitting bows as well. I hadn't really thought about the lack of a strength requirement in PoE until reading this thread.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info