Why don't bows require strength?

As much as I support your claim, there is virtually 0 chance they change bow to be str/dex based, so I'll just live with it.
While were discussing sensemaking, how can a person bleed ES? ;)
"
Idioticus wrote:
The heaviest medieval 2-handed swords, that saw combat, weighed around 8 pounds or 3,5 kg, but due to the center of gravity being near the hilt, they were still very nimble.

Arguing about the use of medieval weapons quickly tends to turn into one of the most pointless and annoying kinds of internet discussions, and that is saying a lot. Still (or maybe because of that): Your point of bows needing a lot of strength is, of course, correct. But don't assume that the strength required for swordfighting comes from lifting up the blade, there is quite a bit more to it. I've spent some time with a group trying to recreate 'authentic' medieval fighting styles, and would be surprised if more than 10% of the general population would last more than 3 minutes. Come to think about it, make that 1% of the internet populace.
"
vezuial wrote:
"
Idioticus wrote:
The heaviest medieval 2-handed swords, that saw combat, weighed around 8 pounds or 3,5 kg, but due to the center of gravity being near the hilt, they were still very nimble.

Arguing about the use of medieval weapons quickly tends to turn into one of the most pointless and annoying kinds of internet discussions, and that is saying a lot. Still (or maybe because of that): Your point of bows needing a lot of strength is, of course, correct. But don't assume that the strength required for swordfighting comes from lifting up the blade, there is quite a bit more to it. I've spent some time with a group trying to recreate 'authentic' medieval fighting styles, and would be surprised if more than 10% of the general population would last more than 3 minutes. Come to think about it, make that 1% of the internet populace.

I didn't say swords didn't require any strength, I merely pointed out that compared to bows, swords require a lot less.

My point is:
A weakling can lift the biggest medieval 2h sword up and then slash with it, achieving somewhat moderate results on the target.
A weakling cannot even draw the weakest of war bows.

Well. Weakling is perfecly capable of drawing a 45pd turkish or korean bow. These reflex bows have a very nice draw strenght curves and incredible arrow speeds even when half drawn. You can easily kill with an arrow feom an half drawn bow. Easily. Heck. Training bows in 20pd range have 100m+ lethal range.

Poundage of bow means little. It is the arrow velocity and european bows had very bad pd/v ratio. Try ottoman bow or a hrwang and tell me again that weakling cant draw it.

Aiming it and using it more than few times is another matter
It's not the sword that's heavy its the body armor you gotta wear to protect yourself from it.
"
Idioticus wrote:
Contrary to popular belief, bows actually require more strength than using two-handed swords. I would argue that bows require even more strength than 2 handed war hammers.

If anything, bows should have the highest strength requirement in the game.

makes perfect sense actually. a bow user should have good str and dex like irl.

ggg could integrate strength as a bonus to damage, maybe even attack speed
(the dualist would fatigue less than the ranger, thus shoot faster
with more base damage)

but also add a dex bonus to crit chance such that the ranger being a bit
weaker but more accurate draws a weaker shot and fires it directly into
the monsters eyeball thus critting them savagely.

we would be debating dualist vs ranger bow use and how to max whichevers dps.
"
AgnosiousD wrote:
"
Idioticus wrote:
Contrary to popular belief, bows actually require more strength than using two-handed swords. I would argue that bows require even more strength than 2 handed war hammers.

If anything, bows should have the highest strength requirement in the game.

makes perfect sense actually. a bow user should have good str and dex like irl.

ggg could integrate strength as a bonus to damage, maybe even attack speed
(the dualist would fatigue less than the ranger, thus shoot faster
with more base damage)

but also add a dex bonus to crit chance such that the ranger being a bit
weaker but more accurate draws a weaker shot and fires it directly into
the monsters eyeball thus critting them savagely.

we would be debating dualist vs ranger bow use and how to max whichevers dps.

Well the duelist has the iron grip keystone.
The reason they don't have a strength requirement is to keep the particular playstyle distinct in theme compared to the others. This is also the reason why the skill tree is split into different parts for different attributes. It is to promote different styles of play as well as making class choices more than just one of aesthetics.

Real world physics don't apply more than for the specific basis of the item/character theme. Strength requirement on a bow might make sense in another game but not this one. There being something like attribute requirements doesn't really make sense outside of a game anyway.
For the sakes of balancing there needs to be a pure dex weapon. Bow are the most suitable not only in PoE but most games.

Maybe in the future we shall get crossbows that requires str, who knows

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info