August Expansion Teaser Screenshot #3

"
DalaiLama wrote:
The old statues have been restored. We still intend to remove them in favour of ones that cover less of the health/mana orbs, but have moved this to a longer-term change. The new statues will have a classical Roman look that better fits with long term stylistic goals.

Original Classic Orbs:

Anticipated Classical Roman look orbs:

Why not allow the option to keep the old life/mana orb look?

Please take a look at some of the original D&D art work by Erol Otus, Darlene Pekul, David C. Sutherland III, and D.A. Trampier, then contrast it to the bland newer versions.

There's a story being told with the art. The original art has a certain nostalgic value that can't be replaced. It's like Venom Spider Man vs the original Spider Man costume.

Imagine if you received a letter from Wizards of the Coast and it said:

"Please send in all your old MTG cards. We are updating the art work on all the cards. We know you cherish the old artwork, but it's time to move on."

I can understand where the current orbs may not appeal to a certain market element. Why not make some UI elements optional and allow players an option to choose something other than the default as an MTX? I'm sure many would choose the classical look, and with a choice there would probably be quite a few that choose some newer look. Blood dripping orbs, flaming orbs, skull orbs....

Personally, I would love to see an MTX that let me have the new clarity MTX on the mana orb.

Some of Darlene's work:

Spoiler

Some of David C Sutherland III's work:
Spoiler

or D.A. Trampier

Spoiler

Some of Erol Otus:

Spoiler

In the end we are either left with something exciting like this:

or something drab like this:

Lurve me some classic D&D art!

Darlene was hit and miss... That pic with the guys in armor... Where did they keep their toes? That lich on the shore was a classic, though. Also, under Dave Sutherland, you have a piece by David S. LaForce, and one by Dave Trampier. But that DCS III is the signature piece! Finally, that Jeff Dee was a great choice for dynamic illustration. Well done!

Sorry to pick nits, but that's my misspent youth you're talking about. =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
Last edited by Raycheetah on Jul 30, 2014, 7:00:31 AM
"
Adhesive33 wrote:
Well, now that I know the original teaser screenshot wasn't a practical joke, I feel bad for just criticizing it without giving any constructive feedback.

So, here goes:

IMO, the new greyscale color looks very generic and out of place with the rest of the POE art-style. I hope it's not being changed in an effort to bring it in-line with the designer's vision for the future art-style of POE, because I'm a big fan of the current warm brown tones.

If the chained-women have to be replaced, I'd like an option, even an MTX, that would allow me to retain them, if possible. I've never once looked at them and thought they clashed with the POE art-style, and I doubt I ever will. If I can't have that option, then I'd just hope that the new models have as much physical interaction with the globes as the original. I won't go into why the proposed replacements were so terrible, since they've been removed. But, honestly, it's a bit disconcerting that those were ever considered even remotely adequate as replacements.

The new arrow, as it is in the latest iteration, doesn't look too bad. But, I know a handful of people that play with a mouse or trackball and adding an extra click to every screen just doesn't seem worth changing a UI that, to my knowledge, was never really considered cluttered by the user-base.

The new flask slots, as they are now, just seem misaligned with the flasks themselves. I'm still really not sure of their purpose, and it would be interesting to hear what the designer is shooting for. Perhaps if the users knew what the ultimate goal was there, they could offer some suggestions. But, as it is now, it just looks really unpolished.

The shop button looks much better now, and I understand that the $ doesn't work for every location, but I just hope that GGG understands that they will have that gaudy button on full display in every screenshot, video, and live stream of their game. I guess MTXs don't have as much stigma as before, so perhaps its just not really a big deal, but I really like the gold coin idea.

+1 !!

"
DalaiLama wrote:

There's a story being told with the art. The original art has a certain nostalgic value that can't be replaced. It's like Venom Spider Man vs the original Spider Man costume.

Imagine if you received a letter from Wizards of the Coast and it said:

"Please send in all your old MTG cards. We are updating the art work on all the cards. We know you cherish the old artwork, but it's time to move on."

I can understand where the current orbs may not appeal to a certain market element. Why not make some UI elements optional and allow players an option to choose something other than the default as an MTX? I'm sure many would choose the classical look, and with a choice there would probably be quite a few that choose some newer look. Blood dripping orbs, flaming orbs, skull orbs....

+1
IGN PPPPanddddaPPPPanicccc

still waiting for that 'Chris Wilson-director's cut' version

oh wait, I finally got it. Thanks team!
Wow.....NOT! How about giving us an option to change the chat window size and font, that whould be a great thing. Hope that's not all you planned to change in game cuz as i see it, it's just useless changes to gameplay.
"
Raycheetah wrote:

Lurve me some classic D&D art!

Darlene was hit and miss... That pic with the guys in armor... Where did they keep their toes? That lich on the shore was a classic, though. Also, under Dave Sutherland, you have a piece by David S. LaForce, and one by Dave Trampier. But that DCS III is the signature piece! Finally, that Jeff Dee was a great choice for dynamic illustration. Well done!

Sorry to pick nits, but that's my misspent youth you're talking about. =^[.]^=

I never noticed that the elf sollerets were a little bit tight in the toe box. Maybe Elfadins have to be ready to go en pointe at any time?

Thanks for correcting the artists.

One thing I think PoE could benefit is adding some slacker NPCs to provide a comic foil for all the dismal stuff.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
"
RyogaHibiki wrote:

If GGG is insisting on changing the UI for whatever reason, at least make a variety of selectable UI choices to keep your players happy since not everyone will be pleased with just one choice. (and make our current UI one of the choices!)

This. I'm not a fan of the new UI but having different presets would certainly be the best option.
Thanks for keeping the naked slave girls :D

but on option to customize UI would be nice too. at least for the very few who dont like the slave girls ;-)
I just wanted to drop by and say that it has never bothered me that the statues are covering part of the life/ES/mana pools. Also, I would like to think that beautiful women have calming, healthy effect to any player. For equality, maybe have both male and female statue in the future? Not just two of one gender. I would keep the girl on the right :)
GGG please follow your own style and implement a classic Roman style, please ignore all invalid sexistic motivations, those have nothing to do with style and are probably the majority of posts asking you to keep them.

BTW: Ridiculous that you changed back in a couple of hours during European night, guess we had nothing to say about it..
Last edited by Startkabels on Jul 30, 2014, 2:43:37 PM
in my opinion GGG wants to change something that does not needs work or replacement in the first place,i think that's why most of the people got so crazy about this.what is worse is that it's not looking good at all,i cant think how in the world that meeting went like a room full of people(i'm guessing it's a team work when taking decisions in changing something in the game)all agreeing that that new UI looks better or is good for marketing and that it will sell.makes me question their decisions in the long term.yes looks like a small thing,but small things always make the difference,i mean c'mon that UI is the one thing that will be constantly there to see,it's ugly to put it up and simple,there is no classy looking,nor elegant,nor marketable.
i'll be back for the new leagues to try it out to see what was so necessary that something that was actually good in game had to be changed
Always be good to others you gain nothing by being mean!
This is important enough for me to write my first post on PoE forums, after hundreds of hours in the game.

I saw the first announcement screenshot, I thought - "ok, some red drape hovering over a guys head... Is marauder completely bald? Don't care... should check out skill icons - nope, nothing there. Health globes? Same. Good. GOD. The art on the globes is amazing. Love the way the chain goes right through the mana globe... She's facing outwards, and the other one on the life is sort of embracing it, creating a nice warm feeling to it. Love the contrast. Very rarely you see something sexy and smart at the very same time. Good thing they are not changing this."

Then I moved on to the second one. It was like they did it on purpose to piss me off, after I just mentally admired skill of the great artist that made the UI.

I refuse to believe it's the same person who made the new one. I know it's not. Because the first one is brilliant without compromise, and the second one is scared. "Oh no. Too much tits! It covers the globe! Need to change! POOF! Small muscular/fat people."

I should be relieved that they finally decided to change it back, altough I'm not - because I have read that they still want to change it.

Don't. The girls are perfect.

To all of you that want the change beacuse you cant see all of your mana globe, let me just prove you wrong - you're wrng.

And please, dont bring it down to some sexist bullshit. If you say that I need the naked girls beacuse I'm a male idiot, you are only half right. By the time you have read this you should know which half is true.

I really hope when they finally do change this, they will keep the old UI as optional.
Last edited by Razis on Jul 30, 2014, 6:58:39 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info