Trade Hate: Which one takes more skill?

Let me preface this post by saying the only thing I read was the first post. That being said, I'd probably enjoy a self-found league. I mostly play solo, and up until recently, I didn't trade much for profit. I hoard most items I find and tend to sell very few things, so the only profit I generate is pure currency drops.

I've wanted a Kaom's Heart ever since closed beta, but I never stockpiled enough currency to purchase one. If you throw all my items together, I could easily afford to buy one, but I hoard too much and don't sell things.

I recently decided to try my hand at flipping in this game (as I've been successful with it in other games, but they mostly had automated trade systems)...I started with only about 2-3 exalts in items. Three weeks later, I bought a Kaom's heart. I sold it less than a week later for 7 exalts profit, bought this axe for my latest build and am about to re-purchase a Kaom's Heart:

Keep in mind I also managed to level two different characters to 75+ AND still work my job full time.

Spoiler

Moral of the story? Trading is the way to go. I enjoy playing the game and really don't mind scraping together bits of currency for items that cost 5 exalts or less, but when it came time to purchase a big ticket item, that just wasn't going to cut it. :|
Former player moderator, valued poster, and early-adopter responsible for The Blood Dance.

GGG has forgotten where they came from. As a result, I no longer support the deceitful, corporate Tencent slave sellouts running this game.
Last edited by MonopolyLegend on Jul 24, 2014, 1:44:34 AM
Sure, it probably does require more skill to successfully flip items for a huge profit like some people do.

Or at least, a very different kind of skill.

That said, a SFL WOULD make the game more dependent on player skill/knowledge of the GAME ITSELF, as opposed to the market generated by the game and the players.

I think that is a fairly clear and rather obvious distinction..
IGN
"
Sure, it probably does require more skill to successfully flip items for a huge profit like some people do.

That said, a SFL WOULD make the game more dependent on player skill/knowledge of the GAME ITSELF, as opposed to the market generated by the game and the players.

Player Skill/Knowledge is rather limited in a single player context, I don't really see how you can skill yourself eternals or skill yourself a Shavs - I'd say any success was more down to RNG than anything which trading can mitigate.

SFL is a very bad idea with the current game model, If I want to build an OP character, I can do it. If I have to rely on drops, well - I doubt I can reliably even skill myself an Alpha's Howl from a chest to do buzzsaw.
IGN: Chundaziri
8/8 Ambush/Invasion Complete - 21/06/2014
8/8 Warbands/Tempest Complete - 10/08/2015
Last edited by Chundadragon on Jul 24, 2014, 2:10:43 AM
"
Chundadragon wrote:
"

Player Skill/Knowledge is rather limited in a single player context, I don't really see how you can skill yourself eternals or skill yourself a Shavs - I'd say any success was more down to RNG than anything which trading can mitigate.

SFL is a very bad idea with the current game model, If I want to build an OP character, I can do it. If I have to rely on drops, well - I doubt I can reliably even skill myself an Alpha's Howl from a chest to do buzzsaw.

You and your inability to do something without alphas howl has very, very little to do with me or anyone else who wants SFL.

Anyway, this idea that player skill/knowledge has no bearing in a single player context is completely ridiculous. This whole GAME is built around knowledge of where to put points/what bits of gear will work well. Its simply harder to do if you cant just go and buy whatever item you want. You actually have to think harder to make things fit together.

As it is, its simply 'Ohh, I want an alphas howl off I go'
IGN
this thread is fail on so many levels
Dogs Summoner - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/885199
Alpha's Howl was just an example - buzzsaw which is one of my favourite builds.

As it stands, I would be retarded to try to max one out in a SFL league. I could do it quite comfortably without it but it just lacks some oomf. Obviously I would choose a different build that is much more effective self-found - for instance, Detonate Dead or Flameblast.

It just cuts out the variety is my point. Sure, I can easily play self-found friendly builds to farm up to better gear but it just exacerbates the grindfest to builds I actually want to play.

Obviously you can call it more "challenging" and other people make want that - I completely respect that but for me, the game is about building fun and creative builds that you just can't comfortably manage in a SFL.
Last edited by Chundadragon on Jul 24, 2014, 2:26:19 AM
"
Chundadragon wrote:
Alpha's Howl was just an example - buzzsaw which is one of my favourite builds.

As it stands, I would be retarded to try to max one out in a SFL league. I could do it quite comfortably without it but it just lacks some oomf. Obviously I would choose a different build that is much more effective self-found - for instance, Detonate Dead or Flameblast.

It just cuts out the variety is my point. Sure, I can easily play self-found friendly builds to farm up to better gear but it just exacerbates the grindfest to builds I actually want to play.

To you it cuts out the variety, I simply view it as increasing the challenge in reaching that variety. I might need to farm for a while to get good enough gear to make a different build work. Sure. I just dont see that as a problem.
IGN
That's very admirable to love a challenge, just not very realistic in this game to reach the high-end which is pretty well barred.

Of course, self-found players have different standards and I'm probably spoilt with my trading galore.

I can see the skill in building an original build that functions on the basics and can farm effectively, I'm just unconvinced the farming part constitutes any large amount of skill. Dedication? Yes. Skill? No.

That said, if a SFL came out I would absolutely play it and try it out - just not with the current form of the game.
Last edited by Chundadragon on Jul 24, 2014, 2:40:50 AM
I just can NOT understand how people who dislike the RNG also vote for SFL. That would be the biggest RNGfest ever since there is no way to target loot.

Right now, you can trade for the gear you want/need and thus target it, mitigating (well, actually removing) the RNG factor. Every alteration or w/e orb you acquire is a step closer to the item you need.

SFL? Need a BoR for example? Hey, just go and farm those maps or Domi for hundreds of hours and cross your fingers. Such skill.

Short-term leagues without trading could be fun tho (basically what Descent -races are, just a bit longer). Long-term? Horrible, simply horrible.
Are the top 1% richest circle jerking in here or what?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info