(Helping GGG in) Creating a unique item: a breakdown of the breakdown

"
Kthx wrote:
I agree with a lot that you have said Charan.

I too have had problems with my design. My original idea was submitted last July or August and was rejected. I was told that there was already a ring coming out with a gem slot, and already an item coming out that did the other part of my design idea. While the ring base did come out (and really that as a reason to not accept the idea was pretty ridiculous in my opinion, seeing as that it only helped my unique be possible by adding a gem-slotted ring base, and the unique associated to the base has absolutely nothing closely related to my idea), no item with the other part of the design has been released. Unfortunately I had put a lot of thought and math into the design to be ready for number negotiating, so it is quite disheartening to be shot down and 1 reason be bogus (in my opinion) and the other never happening (so far...).

My second idea was shot down but it was purely due to the mechanics not being possible due to system limitations of damage conversion, which I am totally cool with.

Now much busier with school and work, and from hearing about other design problems, I don't even want to bother with it any more.

Sorry to hear you're facing similar problems to my recent ones.

Check out Ziggyd's video about his upcoming unique. Seems to be making use the the on-ring gem slot mechanic as well! Maybe you could use this to push for you original idea? Or a variant of which that they would be comfortable with?
People datamining the 1.2.0 uniques already :(

I'd like to ask that for those doing so, please respect the unique creators and keep the datamined information to yourselves. Someone messaged me about it and I appreciate said person not going public with it.
"
NeroNoah wrote:
Two random thoughts about poorly designed uniques:

-Soultaker depends on the meta to be overpowered (correct me if I'm wrong =D). If more mana is available somehow (less aura reservation, mana leech, blood magic passive actually being useful) there are less reasons to use it. Maybe other choices can give more power to the user.
I don't think is going to be nerfed soon. Let's see the aura changes in the new patch.

-The new unique(s?) with a level dependant property have a transformative theme; they are not items you can use in the same character (it works as two uniques in one in function of the level). If a levelling affix that works for all levels is introduced, you have the risk the item becomes too useful for everyone (who wouldn't want a item that you don't need to think anything about, not even in maps?). You can make it for an early - mid level, but then, maybe levelling uniques fill that roll already. So, level-depending affixes should be the exception, not the rule, and with good reasons. Anyway, I'd like to hear about the level-depending uniques proposed by those who buyed the right to assist in the design. I could be awfully wrong, :P

PS for GGG, whose people read the thread: acuity deserves a nerf. It's infuriating Vaal Pact was arruined, and THAT thing was released, a old-Vaal-Pact-like item for critical-strike-builds. And without the no regeneration drawback. It makes a keystone irrelevant for those who already have too much power anyways. That was shitty.

Actually soultaker is not that meta dependant. Some builds just need a insane mana per second cost to cover their casting. Something like dominating blow, if you want it 6 linked, you can pretty much forget about using it without soultaker.
Honestly, the Goddess Scorned is my favorite unique item. I've theorycrafted so many builds to maximize it's damage potential. Unfortunately, I tend to theorize more than actually playing. Great to know a third version is coming! Sorry to hear the process has been less than stellar
"
dlrr wrote:

Sorry to hear you're facing similar problems to my recent ones.

Check out Ziggyd's video about his upcoming unique. Seems to be making use the the on-ring gem slot mechanic as well! Maybe you could use this to push for you original idea? Or a variant of which that they would be comfortable with?

I would, but they told me that there was another item with the specific mechanic in the works. It has been a year and nothing has come out, so maybe I will push them on it. Maybe it was something that got scrapped for a reason other than op/not possible.
IGN - Jiizanthapus
"
deathspenalty wrote:
"
NeroNoah wrote:

-Soultaker depends on the meta to be overpowered (correct me if I'm wrong =D). If more mana is available somehow (less aura reservation, mana leech, blood magic passive actually being useful) there are less reasons to use it. Maybe other choices can give more power to the user.
I don't think is going to be nerfed soon. Let's see the aura changes in the new patch.

-The new unique(s?) with a level dependant property have a transformative theme; they are not items you can use in the same character (it works as two uniques in one in function of the level). If a levelling affix that works for all levels is introduced, you have the risk the item becomes too useful for everyone (who wouldn't want a item that you don't need to think anything about, not even in maps?). You can make it for an early - mid level, but then, maybe levelling uniques fill that roll already. So, level-depending affixes should be the exception, not the rule, and with good reasons. Anyway, I'd like to hear about the level-depending uniques proposed by those who buyed the right to assist in the design. I could be awfully wrong, :P

PS for GGG, whose people read the thread: acuity deserves a nerf. It's infuriating Vaal Pact was arruined, and THAT thing was released, a old-Vaal-Pact-like item for critical-strike-builds. And without the no regeneration drawback. It makes a keystone irrelevant for those who already have too much power anyways. That was shitty.

Actually soultaker is not that meta dependant. Some builds just need a insane mana per second cost to cover their casting. Something like dominating blow, if you want it 6 linked, you can pretty much forget about using it without soultaker.

Well, I imagined something like that. How much would mana leech have to be incremented to sustain something like that?
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
"
deathspenalty wrote:
"
NeroNoah wrote:

You can also use the Reduced mana cost nodes on the tree to sustain a 6L Dominating Blow. Those nodes are extremely underrated in my opinion.

I do believe that Soul Taker is only overpowered based on the current metagame. Of course, it's ALWAYS going to be strong.
Last edited by Hrishi on Jul 30, 2014, 1:57:43 PM
"
Hrishi wrote:

You can also use the Reduced mana cost nodes on the tree to sustain a 6L Dominating Blow. Those nodes are extremely underrated in my opinion.

I do believe that Soul Taker is only overpowered based on the current metagame. Of course, it's ALWAYS going to be strong.

GGG could use this rule:

It's not enough that a rare can be more powerful than a unique, you have to consider the likehood of that happening. Else, it's easier to plan around uniques, and rares become useless and boring.

Charan already said that, but I would like the devs' opinion, :P
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
This was a pretty enlightening read. I like the idea of a unique progressing as you level, but understand why GGG is opposed to it. I do agree a unique you can equip at level <20 should not be used come endgame, except for a few niche items.

Good to learn more behind the unique design. What I am really interested to know is about the monster design and if Charan's mob will be implemented soon (this xpac?).
Despite my horror at the past few days on here, I've decided I'll respond to this thread, since you guys...yeah, warm and fuzzies. :)

__

Monster should be in 1.2. SHOULD. No promises. Hope so though.

__

BannyD: I recently updated/bumped the actual thread about the sword, asking for some advice regarding the third's design. I'd really appreciate your input as an 'expert' Scorned theorycrafter. I'll admit I don't understand that weapon half as much as I should.

__

I have a personal interest in ZiggyD's item. I'm sorry if its existence meant cutting off your item ideas, Kthx, but keep at it. I suppose it is inevitable that with this many designers, there will be unconscious overlap of certain ideas.

__

I still love GGG. Still support them. Any and all criticism I make comes from a place of love.
Predecessor! Paragon is BACK.
Finished Dragons Dogma 2 at 327 hours, 9 playthroughs. Loved every minute.
Holy shit, Assassins Creed ARPG trilogy isnt shit. 3D titan quest with better writing?
Dungeon Encounters is brilliant. Square Enix should stop banking on bloatjunk like ffxvi and ff7r.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info