Kry's Molten Claw Dual Wielding Crit Build, A Variant of The Community for the Community.

Hey Guy's!
Kry here, author of The Community Molten Strike Build from the marauder section. I wanted to post a special concept I have been running in the race for you all. I had a late start due to finals but wanted to run it anyways with the remaining time.

-This build is new player friendly. I am talking just downloaded the game and doesn't know where the play button friendly is.
-This build has 100% zero unique requirements.
-This build survives beautifully
-This build still does good damage :)

For any and all questions regarding mechanics, gem choices, spread sheets etc. please see my guide here: All the research has already been done here:

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/911557

NEW 1.2 Shadow and Duelist starts

Spoiler

OK guys, here is the down and dirty new tree for dual claw crit. I highly suggest starting as a Shadow now. Also these are not perfectly optimized. If you find any good changes please simply just PM me, I do not check this thread very often as The Community Molten Strike marauder is my mother thread for all my molten strike variations.

The build runs a lot of DW block + high HP + a good amount of crit strike and boosted damage overall. Massive heals from insta-flasks since we went from the new OP flask/life nodes. You can leech charges as well. Should be a very fun build to play.

You can run as a duelist but it will not be as strong. It will simply be weaker from start to finish.

Grab some reduced mana reserve or a high quality Red. Mana gem to add Herold of Fire

SHADOW
Spoiler

https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgYAaoz1b8gUotmw2Ba_VUth4iaVpn_tQbGztUhsjJ2qNj1tbGKscFIqC_Pq1gePwUscjYEV_bTFb1dF9GSviji5fIwL7LBvnspKwzqbtVM1D6uDCXcHhxOcpCpNfVusR1FMpDnQgUfiIuIVICmlTipbr90NLOkABmJ5FfbT_FywCVjbp8GLGNu42QEJEZYOSOOESVHw1ZUuBx4xnqZXTeP-jzWStfJuqkrIPyfYvTrhpMIUdUp9h3ZnoPzFwONLV_GzGo_22vsJGYpW-iP2o4ruDk2SjX1jcDSTtkHv4w==

Shadow build progression:

DUELIST

How does this build compare to The Community Molten Strike Build?
Spoiler
Both builds have their strong points during the leveling process. Community has access to 2h weapons such as Geofri's Baptism making it a damage machine and great for leveling. Claws have their built in LGOH or LL giving them great survivability to start and are slightly easier on the wallet as you do not need a 5L armor anymore, just a 4L. In the end, fully geared, If I have to pick one, I give a slight edge to The Community build.

But what about reflect!?
Spoiler
Reflect is a non issue. Actually its LESS of an issue with this build then The Community. Why? well because...
1)Claws have low base damage
2)Claws when they crit probably will equal that of a 2h hit from The Community
3)The damage is split into 4 hits! that means the mobs will reduce all 4 hits then reflect back that at us and we again will reduce 4 hits. The smaller the hit the greater the effect mitigation has on it.
4)With claws natural healing ability we just stay at full... I don't even notice my life move at all.

OLD - 1.1.x The Build
Spoiler

Spoiler
http://poebuilder.com/#character/AAAAAgQABS1HflPfWNtgS2VNdO1674TZhO-ZK5uDq8W9gQ==

Spoiler
http://poebuilder.com/#character/AAAAAgQABS0ppTSTR35KfU4qU99W-ljbW69gS2NwZU1noG5pdEF07XrvhNmE74d2kAqZK5uDpMKrxbZBvYG-p90N7-P8xQ==

You will notice a stray INT node taken... this is temporary until we get the int from shadow to replace it

Our base is done.. We have decent block and good HP... time for crit and more HP!

Future Point Ideas:
Spoiler
-The remaining Crit nodes
-The little extra HP nodes that are lying around nearby
The claw LL wheel
-Claws of Pride Notable
-1h damage and Block in Ranger section
-DW block in duelist section

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Depending on your gear you may or may not need to keep the Int Nodes. Just grab the one by IR or the one that is on the way between ranger and shadow section.

Variants of the build
Spoiler
Coming Soon

No gear requirements but here is what I will be working on buying and why
Spoiler
Three Dragons: Our burn damage will be low so we want to exchange the burn for shock and gain 90% damage.

Lightning Coil: Once you counter the negative lightning resists this armor becomes a HUGE defense boost vs physical damage. Especially when paired with CWDT + Immortal Call.

Gems:
Spoiler
1) Molten Strike (duh)
2) Multistrike
3) Blood Magic
4) Weapon Elemental Damage
5/6) Power Charge on Crit
5/6) Faster Attacks

Choose Faster Attacks as 5 until you have enough crit to warrant running PCoC

LMP/GMP is a flat DPS loss, please see The Community spreadsheets to test for yourself.

Support Gems:

Grab a high quality reduced mana or some mana reserve nodes (New tree includes them) to add Herold of Fire to your build

Spoiler
1) Whirling Blades - must have as this is our escape tool. It moves fast and works well with our LL/LGOH from our claws to give us some HP while we move.

-For fresh players, just start a shadow and rush to the mud flats and finish the Breaking the Eggs quest and receive whirling blades as a reward.

2)Cast When Damage Taken + Enfeeble (or flammability if your defenses are golden in softcore)

3)Cast When Damage Taken + Enduring Cry + Immortal Call + Increased Duration

4)Hatred + Grace + Reduced Mana

Leveling Suggestions
Spoiler
Get yourself a Multistrike ASAP. Also run Hatred as soon as you get it. You can run Molten Strike + Multistrike off MP without issue even with Hatred (MP pots required) until you can get Blood Magic gem.

Your dps will be great even with just Multistrike :) Keep those claws updated a little bit at least though. See the trouble gearing section if you need help.

Claws
Spoiler
We want pure physical damage (pDPS) on our claws.
Ideal mods:
+% increase physical damage
+min-max physical damage
+$ increased attack speed

elemental damage does very little good for us.

How to get Chaos Orbs as a new player
Spoiler
Orbs of Alterations (18 to 20:1 chaos)
Orbs of Fusing (2:1 chaos)
Jewlers Orbs (8:1 chaos)
Gemcutters Prisms (1:2 chaos or sometimes 2:3 chaos)
Orbs of Regret (1:1 chaos)

These are what I generally will try and sell these for on the market. We are looking to try and get as much bang for our buck without spending too much time trying to sell things. By this you should at least have your Multistrike by the mid 20's.

This method also plays into the an easy way to gear... see the next section

Having gearing issues while leveling? Here is how to fix that.
Spoiler
First, we use poe.xyz.is. Make sure you select the appropriate league.

Enter your parameters and hit search.

example:
I want a chest so I select "body"

I want armor or armor evasion so I simply put a "1" in min under armor and this will at least give me all the armor, armor evasion, and armor energy shield options (we can neglect this last one).

I need fire resists:
I select +#% to Fire Resists

I also need some cold resists:
I press "add mod" and then select +#% to cold resists

I lastly would like to try and get some HP on the item as well
I select +# to maximum life

Select buyout and online now to see the most convenient options available.

Now most upgrades should be listed around 1 chaos or so, for leveling gear at least... 99% of the time you can contact the player and since leveling rares don't move fast you can probably pick it up by offering 1 fusing, or 10 alts, or even an alchemy for it.

That is gearing on a budget and is a great way to keep your defenses capt.
Last edited by Kartikdon on Sep 6, 2014, 1:32:40 PM
Another great build Kry!

Having fun running it in the Charity League.

I did some further reflection on the tree, and I think we can improve it slightly:

The easy one is to swap the +15% crit node east of Blood Thirst for the +20% crit node north east of Assasination.

Next, since we are running a Hard Core build, it's almost a shame not to take advantagae of the three Raker nodes far east. 12% physical leech on EVERY attack with our high critting chance makes for incredible survivability.

It would be great to find a way to take Claws of Pride: a flat +25 hitpoints is very nice, as is the DPS/survivability increase from +8% IAS (increased attack speed). And it comes with a bonus +18% physical damage with claws.

Maybe the sacrifice to crit chance is too high for this specific build to make some of these changes, but food for thought...
Glad you are enjoying it Clean and as always thank you for the advice :)

"
Clean wrote:

The easy one is to swap the +15% crit node east of Blood Thirst for the +20% crit node north east of Assasination.

This would also close the direct link going to the three HP nodes it links us too. This would be a node I would recommend taking after... unless I am looking at the wrong one.

"
Clean wrote:

Next, since we are running a Hard Core build, it's almost a shame not to take advantagae of the three Raker nodes far east. 12% physical leech on EVERY attack with our high critting chance makes for incredible survivability.

Options:
drop 25% HP
10 int
15% crit

or

60% Claw damage
40% crit (we pick up the 20% by assassination)
2% IAS
8% accruacy

Another reason I have not added yet is because 12% of 40% physical damage running on my 2h variant was not entirely viable going into maps. the 12% from the passives may be enough when combined with the claws but this will have to be tested and not something I want people to bank on until it has been tested. good thought though :)

"
Clean wrote:

It would be great to find a way to take Claws of Pride: a flat +25 hitpoints is very nice, as is the DPS/survivability increase from +8% IAS (increased attack speed). And it comes with a bonus +18% physical damage with claws.

Maybe the sacrifice to crit chance is too high for this specific build to make some of these changes, but food for thought...

This last change would require three points. One could drop the +6% HP/armor node in duelist, drop the 4% block and blinding speed in assassin as well as the movement buff and coordination. Reconnect the tree going through the two inel nodes out of mental accuity and the two dex nodes that lead to it from the south. This leaves you with 2 extra points to then grab Claws of Pride.

All in all these would be only small changes and many on personal preference to the user. Let me know what you think about some of the options.

Just noticed i forgot to set the build links to be able to just be clicked :)
Wow this is exactly what I was looking for, a fun looking build that a poor guy can follow.
At any case I just started a new character following this build and I just got a couple of questions:
1. For frenzy charges do you use Blood Rage or Frenzy. I am currently using blood rage happily but once I reach merciless will it be possible to use it without some huge amount of choas resistance ?

2. Which one of merciless bandits do you go for? They all can help this build so I am not sure which one to pick.
Last edited by MostafaMH on May 20, 2014, 6:07:47 PM
I run blood rage w/ Blood Dance Boots - you can do this in merc difficulty until you get enough chaos resists to replace them.

Bandits:
Oak - norm
Oak/Kraityn - cruel
Endurance Charge/Power Charge - your pick

What I appreciated the most about the build is that it could face tank almost all the invasion bosses without worry. Except the ones that do things like flameblast and will 1 shot you if you don't move out of their 900% charged blast.
Last edited by Kartikdon on May 20, 2014, 7:05:09 PM
Excellent build!

I am just returning to PoE after a few months break, and was looking for a claw build, preferably dual claw, that will not cost a fortune, with good survivability and which is viable in maps. I think this ticks all the boxes for me.

Gonna start this one up tonight :)
"
Stefacle wrote:
Excellent build!

I am just returning to PoE after a few months break, and was looking for a claw build, preferably dual claw, that will not cost a fortune, with good survivability and which is viable in maps. I think this ticks all the boxes for me.

Gonna start this one up tonight :)

Glad you like it :) Feel free to PM me if you ever have any questions. It worked out fantastically for me in the charity race.
Going well so far - Trying to get 50 before the end of the race. What is the verdict on the slow v faster type of claws ? Using slower claws at the moment but not totally convinced.
TFIGEGKTB
I just roll with highest pDPS on it. If I had to choose between faster and slower, I would go faster.

Well it was fun - Bit scary at times admittedly but made it to 50 which was my goal. Would like to have tried multistrike but never managed to get one.
TFIGEGKTB

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info