RPG Codex posts pics for top 70 cRPGs

That list made me pregnant.
(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.
Morrowind will always be my favourite but man, I missed out on so many of those games :/

I love M&B Warband (particularly Prophesy of Pendor modded) but I wouldn't really consider it in a rpg list.
We tested it extensively
"
TheWretch wrote:
"
Avramovic wrote:
"
TheWretch wrote:
I would also add

to this list. Its made by the guys who made FO1 and 2. Its a mix of D2 and Fallout. Whats not to love.

God damn you Wretch... god damn you. And I just had my gaming addiction subdued. Now I got to go back to killing goblins, voydanois and F11 (yeah, it's the quickload key in LIONHEART).

p.s. at least I get to kick Machiavelli's skinny backstabbing ass, lul

AAAArgh! Now you're making me want to play it again!!

Any game that gives you the opportunity to kill Machiavelli and Guy Fawkes, that prick who started the shitty Anonymous fad, is worth playing.
http://unrealitymag.bcmediagroup.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/gibson2.jpg

Mel Gibson is your daddy... and, you don't really want to know what he does.
Last edited by Avramovic on May 18, 2014, 4:06:38 AM
Nearly all of my all-time favourites in there *thumbsup*
Even Albion, the first game I bought from my pocket money and played for months and months.
I even defeated the AI ... :D

Gothic made it in. I don't see them as separate games but one whole.

After Fallout 3 was a big letdown in comparison to 1 & 2, I did'nt bother with New Vegas; maybe I should reconsider.
I've seen people travel east, I've seen them go west.
Never have I seen so many monsters.
"

Hang on, they acknowledged that NwN2 was far from praised but didn't even put NwN1 on there? No. Very no.

You remember what kind of Bugfest NWN was?

I got lucky that I could finish the game. But others had to use the console, edit the chapters in the aurora toolset or restart.

There were far more bugthreads than quest related threads on NWN boards.
Those issues ended some time after shadows of undertide got released.

Also the designers didn't read the lore at all.

Everybody who played Icewind Dale knew that Luskan is a big powerful city and in NWN they made it a tiny city.

BG1 and 2 made it much better because BG and Amn had similar power and the capitals had around the same size.

"
After Fallout 3 was a big letdown in comparison to 1 & 2, I did'nt bother with New Vegas; maybe I should reconsider.

Fallout NV story writing and consequences is much more like in F1 and F2 that's why it got a better critical acclaim.

Even this smooth F3 difficulty got removed.
F3 always adjusted the random encounters and aside of fixed encounters you could do everything.

NV on the other Hand gives you a quest which could be finished really fast but the problem is if you go straight north you will be most likely killed by Cazadores.
The second option leads through a heavily Death Claw infested place.

Similar to F1 if you go straight for the military base and encounter mutants.

There isn't such crap like Subwaycrawling in Fallout3 which pissed you really off after some time.

There is a town reputation again.

The only issue I got is that it's much harder to play on an evil global Karma because too many quests give you positive Karma and perks like "Childkiller" are missing to give you a bad reputation no matter what you do.

"
Sadly.. games these days don't offer even remotely as much.
*Shakes fist at Skyrim.

Skyrim isn't on the list Hah...
While I like Skyrim and Oblivion as ARPGs they fail as regular RPGs.

Last edited by Hilbert on May 18, 2014, 2:17:00 PM
"
Avramovic wrote:

Any game that gives you the opportunity to kill Machiavelli and Guy Fawkes, that prick who started the shitty Anonymous fad, is worth playing.

bahahah true!
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
BTW how come that list doesnt include ARPGs? Diablo 2, Sacred series and PoE deserve a space.
(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.
"
bhavv wrote:
BTW how come that list doesnt include ARPGs? Diablo 2, Sacred series and PoE deserve a space.

Codexers don't consider them "rpg's" silly wabbits.
"
I think it's a good distinction actually. RPGs need to have a much more robust story and compelling dialogue. Look at that list, and you'll see why the winning entries are a world apart from even the greatest of ARPGs.

They are different kinds of RPGs. I think what bothers the hardline cRPG guys is that aRPGs only have one way to get through content; killing. Many of the top games on that list can be completed without killing anything or anyone the entire way through.
'classic' RPG / Action RPG (ARPG) / Hack 'N' Slash / MMO 'RPG'

It is easy nowadays to confuse these four genres, as the boundaries have been thoroughly blurred with Morrowind. Hard-core asshats at Codex will generally agree (and I with them) that main thing that defines a true, classic RPG is the story, substance, intellectual depth of the game; many action-orientated games have this in scarce quantities or not even a little (think "Serious Sam" as complete antithesis of an RPG).

Diablo series and Diablo clones have 'some' story and lore - PoE included - but the story and lore are never explored in-depth, instead making the focus of the game action and items, which may, in some classic RPG's, be an important part of the storyline but not at all the main focus. In some cases (again, PoE comes to mind) this is a real shame.

We're lucky that we live in here and now, seeing as how Kickstarter is making several good RPG projects a reality - Wasteland 2, Torment:Tides of Numenera and Pillars of Eternity are games we lorefags are expecting with great hope.
http://unrealitymag.bcmediagroup.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/gibson2.jpg

Mel Gibson is your daddy... and, you don't really want to know what he does.
Last edited by Avramovic on May 19, 2014, 4:41:19 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info