[1.2] Sidra's Guide: Acrobatics Based Physical Crit Split Arrow Ranger (Atziri Kill Video Inside)

Warning; lazy question incoming.
I don't have much experience in SA crit, if it fires 5 arrows does each arrow have its own separate crit chance?
Also once it chains do those carry the same roll of crit or non crit, or roll separate from their original form.
I'm sure I could search for it, but you guys seem like you would already know 100% sure on the matter.
Thanks for the guide seems not to expensive to pull off. Been wanting to play ranger again since my 1st failed attempt on my 1st character. Not saying ziggyd's budget LA/frenzy was a bad 1st character but kinda sets you up to fail imo.

Im still alil worried about mana later on, split arrow is fine atm, but frenzy is really eating mp on single target situations. Using 2% mana leech + 67% mana regen from gear atm. Grabbed primal spirit last night before i logged of, so hope that will help(till i get farther in the tree). I always do rain of arrows till 19, then switch to facebreaker to the 60/70 area. Kinda tired of punching stuff so i just opted to ride this 1 out.

I tried switching back and forth from RoA's and split arrow in the 10-25 range. Split arrow couldn't beat RoA there. Once I hit 32 and put faster attacks/pierce/Physical projectile damage with split arrow 32-40 flew by.

Using some of those unqiues that refuse to not drop has been pretty good in this build. Was always curious about +1 arrow from stuff and death's harp is actually amazing lol. About to grind some ledge a few lv's then grab some gear and cap resist for cruel.

But here's some fun stuff that worked pretty good while lv'ing.
Spoiler

Current tree at 40

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIAAF4EfgW1CC4M8hXwGY4Z_hsBJJ0k_TB8OdQ6WD7PUUdiWm_yfXV_K4cZjb-bjaCfoaSly6fUqn-quK_rsTC7473mxKLN6tN-1CPWitwV4dvnVO2D-WP-uv7I

If Frenzy is posing a mana challenge, switch to Burning Arrow for a while. It's a very underrated single target skill. Unlike some other elemental skills like Ice Shot and Lightning Arrow, Buring Arrow doesn't convert damage to fire, it literally adds Fire damage on top of the already high amount of Physical Damage it provides. It doesn't have Frenzy's top end DPS with max charges, but it hits harder than Frenzy does with 0-2 charges, and it's mana consumption is nil.

Burning Arrow > Phys Proj Damage > Faster Attacks > Life Leech got me through low level maps. It's a great leveling 4L. Just be sure you are also leveling Frenzy in your alt weapon slot, you will want it later.

In terms of being able to have enough mana later - mana regen will never work - you need to increase your max mana pool to increase your mana leech rate. Here is why. Base mana regen rate is 1.75% mana per second. So with 500 mana - thats 8.75/second. Mana leech is 12.5%/second, so 62.5/second.

So - let's say you literally got 100% more mana regen. That equates to 8.75 more mana/second.

But, let's say you instead increase maximum mana by 200. 12.5% of 700 is 87.5 - an increase of 25 mana/second, 3x the mana benefit of doing all that work to get 100% more mana regen. The build also helps some as you level as well because once you get to the Shadow Area, all of those + int nodes add up to increase your mana as well. Now - this does make the assumption that you have the damage needed to maintain that leech rate - so if you do all this work to increase mana and you still can't maintain, it means you have a damage issue not a leech rate issue.

At lower levels you don't have much of a choice, but as more mana nodes and mana on gear open up, it is far better than increasing mana regen rate.
My Phys Crit Split Arrow Ranger Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/919885

My Poison Arrow Ranger Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/806913
Last edited by Asidra on May 20, 2014, 10:48:25 PM
I have a question on survivability. I've never used a evasion based character before but it seems like I'm paper when it comes to tanking things. What do you do against groups of tanky and hard hitting mobs? Like for example I'm lv64, and I think I struggled against those black knights in piety's first floor too much. Even with a granite flask on, I almost die against groups. Moving around too much means desync. What do I do in this situation?

Here's my build:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIAm40ILu2DGY4AXtN-fXX-uu967g4j9u_wWkhW-vzFZ6CHdkp9dEF315UF2cYylH8CpuB_KzB8b_I51KCfUUequKp_jX0-zxrb-WO95hXwOlgEfocZ51Qk_eHboaT-yI2_BbXUI92oxqIwcUt4OkIM8qXLNj3ndGHiD6vwQpXpX-FrJG1stUhte4hr44QOSKc0napirNadEZado_yr

This is the first time I've played a bow class and nothing felt so much more fun than wiping mobs half a screen away. It's only when they live and get in my face that it becomes a nightmare. I got like 3k evasion. My dps isn't too bad either I don't think, I do roughly 1400 with split arrow and 3k with frenzy using this bow:

Also as an aside, what's the difference between fork and chain? I don't have chain but it looks like they do the same thing.
"
Asidra wrote:
If Frenzy is posing a mana challenge, switch to Burning Arrow for a while. It's a very underrated single target skill. Unlike some other elemental skills like Ice Shot and Lightning Arrow, Buring Arrow doesn't convert damage to fire, it literally adds Fire damage on top of the already high amount of Physical Damage it provides. It doesn't have Frenzy's top end DPS with max charges, but it hits harder than Frenzy does with 0-2 charges, and it's mana consumption is nil.

Burning Arrow > Phys Proj Damage > Faster Attacks > Life Leech got me through low level maps. It's a great leveling 4L. Just be sure you are also leveling Frenzy in your alt weapon slot, you will want it later.

In terms of being able to have enough mana later - mana regen will never work - you need to increase your max mana pool to increase your mana leech rate. Here is why. Base mana regen rate is 1.75% mana per second. So with 500 mana - thats 8.75/second. Mana leech is 12.5%/second, so 62.5/second.

So - let's say you literally got 100% more mana regen. That equates to 8.75 more mana/second.

But, let's say you instead increase maximum mana by 200. 12.5% of 700 is 87.5 - an increase of 25 mana/second, 3x the mana benefit of doing all that work to get 100% more mana regen. The build also helps some as you level as well because once you get to the Shadow Area, all of those + int nodes add up to increase your mana as well. Now - this does make the assumption that you have the damage needed to maintain that leech rate - so if you do all this work to increase mana and you still can't maintain, it means you have a damage issue not a leech rate issue.

At lower levels you don't have much of a choice, but as more mana nodes and mana on gear open up, it is far better than increasing mana regen rate.

46atm now, I grabbed the other 8% mana node above primal, also running lv3 clarity. No mana issue's now currently(with chain over pierce) . Dropped perandus signet for more dps/resist. Grabbing Conditioning(12% Life/+20Str) next lv to help with Str requirements on gems and 12% life. Then rushing to Mind drinker to drop Wurm's mult for more dps/life/resist. At that point I'll see what the overall feel is like and grab more dps node or health or head to influence.
Last edited by Stalkst3r on May 21, 2014, 12:34:48 AM
"
jebroni wrote:
I have a question on survivability. I've never used a evasion based character before but it seems like I'm paper when it comes to tanking things. What do you do against groups of tanky and hard hitting mobs? Like for example I'm lv64, and I think I struggled against those black knights in piety's first floor too much. Even with a granite flask on, I almost die against groups. Moving around too much means desync. What do I do in this situation?

I see you have the life node's but do you have enough +life on gear?
Do you have a source of regaining health lgoh/life leech?
From my experience before lightning coil on ele buzzsaw, even with high eva you need to have enough health to take a few hits and be able to replenish it in time before the next hit/s.

Edit:
Hit 65 otw to pie, that's your dps unbuffed? Was gonna grind some docks and grab some more HP nodes but meh.
I swapped gloves to hit 75 lightning resist/add alil hp. Since been to lazy to upgrade just using stuff i had laying around. The body is a 6L but I can't sustain mana with life on hit.

stats

HP: 2665
Mana: 400
Resist: 72/75/75
Evasion rating: 3121
Chance to evade: 38%
Chance to dodge: 33%

Hatred/6 Frenzy: Frenzy: 8985
Hatred/6 Frenzy: Split Arrow: 2260

junky gear used

Gloves with dps numbers

current tree @65
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIAAF4EfgW1CC4M8g5ID6sRlhXwGY4Z_hsBJDwknST9J6kvbzB8MpQ2PTnUOlg-z0lRUUdabV_hYeJiWmKsayRv8nC7d9d9dX8Cfyt_xobOhxmIa419jb-VBZXpm42dqqCfoaSly6bgpzSnXKfUqn-quK_rsTC7473mxKLTftQj1orWndkT2cbcFd2o35jh2-OE51TndO2D8EL5Y_66_sg=

On another note, I been trying to wrap my head around working in lightning coil, but with no resist on hands+feet would be really hard. I wish the build tree provided more intelligence(not enough to run lv20 purity of lightning).
Going off the op's mana pool "687". lv20Reduced mana+Alpha's+ %5 from influence + 15% from the charisma cluster you could run purity of lightning+fire+hatred and still have 185mana left, assuming you had the intelligence to pull it off.
Last edited by Stalkst3r on May 21, 2014, 1:26:22 PM
You don't use curses? Critical Weakness,Projectile Weakness or Vulnerability?
Last edited by AtomicCB on May 22, 2014, 5:17:10 AM
You can use them for a while leveling to help sped things up, but at this point casting a curse is a waste of time given how quickly things die without them.
My Phys Crit Split Arrow Ranger Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/919885

My Poison Arrow Ranger Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/806913
Hey i got similar build but lioneye's glare :( right now i dont feel like changing bow but i need to either respec a bit or change bow i thnk, the problem is if i change to pure phys i dont know how to sustain mana for 2 auras, right lvl 85 now i have like 130 mana and is ok for SA

gear
Spoiler

tree
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIAAdEEfgW1DPIOSA-rEZYV8Bn-GtsbARzcHpQhdiP2JDwk_SaVJ6kwcTB8MfoylDY9OdQ6QjpYPs9JUUp9S3hRR1VLVvpaSFptX-Fh4megayRtbG17b_JwUnC7cNV293fXfwJ_K3_Ghs6HGYd2iGuMNo19jb-TJ5UFlembjZ2joJ-hIqGkokCly6bgpzSnXKfUqn-quKw_r-uxMLVIvebAUcSixqLKqdQj1orZxtwV3FfdqOHb44TnVOd07g7v8PBC9Pj5Y_yr_MX-yA==
"
Stalkst3r wrote:
"
jebroni wrote:

I see you have the life node's but do you have enough +life on gear?
Do you have a source of regaining health lgoh/life leech?
From my experience before lightning coil on ele buzzsaw, even with high eva you need to have enough health to take a few hits and be able to replenish it in time before the next hit/s.

I got 3600 life but even lv66 mobs can still almost kill me. Like for example a group of roas can all just charge at me, sometimes I dodge them all, other times I'm 200 hp from dying. And it all happens at once so lifestealing doesn't sound like the answer imo.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info